Takata airbags

/ Takata airbags #41  
I'd expect it is well known, but worth repeating.... as far back as the late 60's, the SAE was warning about fatalities with short drivers, even with properly functioning airbag systems.

Rgds, D.

What cars had airbags in the 60's?

/ Takata airbags #42  
I remember seeing a 1973 Olds Tornado with air bag... I think it was advertised as the first available to the public.

Later Chrysler really got on the bandwagon in the 80's for the entire fleet???

/ Takata airbags
What cars had airbags in the 60's?

When they were developed in the 60's, the engineers did the math, and realized that short (at least short of arm) drivers were at risk due to proximity to the steering wheel. Those results were documented in SAE reports of the day.

Rgds, D.

/ Takata airbags
Another story is the owner left the car at Toyota and said to call when it was safe to drive... the warranty is extended for the time out of service on warranty claims... this really has the potential to snowball...

I hadn't thought of that aspect..... If I ended up with a loaner vehicle, I'd have a place to park a Toyota in my driveway, but plenty of people don't.

Parking spaces for condos in many cities cost a fortune, so many people in that situation have nowhere to park a second vehicle.

Rgds, D.

/ Takata airbags #45  
I hadn't thought of that aspect..... If I ended up with a loaner vehicle, I'd have a place to park a Toyota in my driveway, but plenty of people don't.

Parking spaces for condos in many cities cost a fortune, so many people in that situation have nowhere to park a second vehicle.

Rgds, D.
Why not require the dealer to keep it parked at his dealership?
Tell him you want it parked inside at night too!

/ Takata airbags
Why not require the dealer to keep it parked at his dealership?
Tell him you want it parked inside at night too!

ur's comment about the church lady + ____________ had me thinking of this..... sounded like that person just said "Keep it till it's fixed".

Rgds, D.

/ Takata airbags #47  
Got the last one changed out last week. Two vehicles, and had to do limited use for more than a year and a half waiting for these to be changed out. Dealer averaged out 6-8 months to get parts in stock to perform the recalls. Sure wasn't the dealers fault, parts just weren't available. Sure hope we are done with this.
Chris

/ Takata airbags #48  
Got the last one changed out last week. Two vehicles, and had to do limited use for more than a year and a half waiting for these to be changed out. Dealer averaged out 6-8 months to get parts in stock to perform the recalls. Sure wasn't the dealers fault, parts just weren't available. Sure hope we are done with this.
Chris

I RECEIVED MY COROLLA/TAKATA RECALL NOTICE 11 MONTHS AGO.
Car has been stored for the winter, so the problem was dormant.
Car is now back in use, and at my request, tomorrow, Toyota begins furnishing me a rental (Thrifty).
Having providing me with a written warning, I realized that Toyota would be covered in the event of an injury or death.
What I had not thought about, was that if I allowed anyone to use that seat in my car, I would be guilty of "culpable negligence".
I can easily see how MY insurance company might deny a passenger injury claim, since I deliberately ignored the Toyota warning to not use that seat.
This will be interesting!
With a free rental, I really don't care when they fix it now!

/ Takata airbags
With a free rental, I really don't care when they fix it now!

I think it would be productive if more people insisted on getting a long-term rental.

Pain or No Pain choices can be educational..... if the financial losses associated with this mess are massive enough, then maybe the CFOs running these corporations will think twice in the future...... OK, maybe I'm being overly optimistic......

I'm sure that you are glad to have that behind you now Chris ! :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.

/ Takata airbags #50  
I guess I do feel better now that all are replaced. But that doesn't change the fact that I had to place 2 vehicles into a very limited service that I paid about $75,000 to acquire. Total limited service time = over a year and a half for both. Service life usually = 10 years or so with us. Not being in full service for more than a year and a half sure made the value received ( or depreciated the value ) in this service life to a much lower useful service life. Don't think I'll ever feel good about that, that equals a loss of value received on the purchase price much less in my book.
Chris