Rear Ballast

/ Rear Ballast #1  

Hilbilly13

Tractor
Kubota 3901
What is the best way or suggestions to add rear ballast in addition to fluid in the rear wheels. I have a 3901.

/ Rear Ballast #2  
Are you seeking to counterbalance FEL loads?

If yes, what is the lift capacity of your FEL?

/ Rear Ballast #3  
This is discussed a lot on this forum. Search "rear ballast" in the upper right of this screen and you will get more info than you can stand to read. Best wishes.
Ron

/ Rear Ballast #4  
Buy heavy implements

/ Rear Ballast #5  
A ballast box filled with concrete is heavy and doesn't stick out like a fat ladies rear. My rear mower stays on almost all the time unless I go logging in tight places, then the ballast box goes on.

/ Rear Ballast #6  
Jeff raises a good question.

LD1 offers a good solution.

I run rear wheel/tire fluid as well as cast iron wheel weights.

I also use implements on the 3pt depending on the task at hand.

I use a Quick Hitch and built a weight rack to store my suitcase weights that can be hauled with the Quick Hitch. Easy to pick up, use and set down without leaving the tractor seat. :)

/ Rear Ballast #7  
Oh, forgot to say, welcome to TBN fellow Missourian.

/ Rear Ballast #8  
If you decide to make concert ballast add little extra,couple hooks place to store chains even shovel rake.

/ Rear Ballast #9  
What is the best way or suggestions to add rear ballast in addition to fluid in the rear wheels. I have a 3901.
1000lbs of something on the 3pt.

When lifting 1200lbs bales with my L3200 (same frame as yours) it was sketchy with a 700lbs? rotary cutter on the back & bags of heavy stuff piled on the back of that. The 3000 series economy Ls are not safe lifting heavy on the loader, unless you have a LOT of ballast on the back. The further back, like way back on the rotary cutter the more leverage ballast has.

At one point I was moving a 100, maybe 200lbs horse panel on my pallet forks. It wasn't heavy at all so I didn't bother with 4wd or anything on the 3pt. Cut to skid marks down the gentile slope to the back of my barn ending in pallet forks sized holes in the barn. Don't remember if I had the rears loaded at that point or not.

The moral of that story is always ballast properly in the back. The economy Ls are fine machines & perfectly safe, as long as you ballast properly. They are lighter economy machines.

My new L4060 will lift more than my L3200 could & be perfectly stable without anything on the 3pt. I still keep proper ballast on though to minimize stress on the front axle & maximize safety.

/ Rear Ballast #10