Road maintainer for trails?

/ Road maintainer for trails? #1  

kossetx

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC 40 A, AC 5020
Howdy all, I have 4-5 miles of woodland trails I would like leveled and cleaned up. Sandy loam soil with some youpon roots in it. Anyone use a road maintainer to do such a job? Reconditions on a manufacture? I can build but searching turns up nothing I like.

/ Road maintainer for trails? #2  
I use a combination of my box blade for leveling, and then a landscape rake for general maintenance . I do have a land plane for the gravel driveway, but it doesn't work so well on soil.

/ Road maintainer for trails?
Thanks step, any idea why the maintainer doesn't work. I never owned one but I would have thought it would do better for this than the BB.

/ Road maintainer for trails? #4  
I use a combination of my box blade for leveling, and then a landscape rake for general maintenance . I do have a land plane for the gravel driveway, but it doesn't work so well on soil.

I use a Ratchet Rake attachment on my bucket, paired with a Landscape Rake with gauge wheels, mounted on the Three Point Hitch, for maintenance.

During construction I used a <$900 Dirt Dog (brand) All Purpose Plow, more generally known as a Field Cultivator, for softwood root removal, including Yaupon Holly, grape vines and rose corms. My soil, like yours, is mostly sand. I used a Box Blade some.

Gordon's Brush Killer, sold by TSC, will kill Yaupon Holly in one, sometimes two sprays, timed four to six weeks apart.
LINK: Google

Attachments

• DSC00678.JPG
    DSC00678.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 241
  • DSC00379.jpg
    DSC00379.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 240
  • DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 289
  • DSC00375.jpg
    DSC00375.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 213
  • DSC00680.JPG
    DSC00680.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:
   / Road maintainer for trails? #5  
Watch trail maintenance from 3:40 or so...:)

/ Road maintainer for trails? #7  
I drag an old heavy rear gate off of a flatbed trailer that I OVER built years ago. It is about 6-1/2' long and about 3' high. Has about five 1/4" wall angle welded interior to the end pieces, and each one acts as a little land leveler grader blade. [ It was made back when I was rebuilding tricycle John Deere's, in my foolish youth ] Welded some chain onto the end of it and pull it down my trails. Although it could be wider, the length tends to take off the high spots and fill in the low. I was going to take it to the local A&L scrap and get pennies on the dollar for it... but it has earned it's keep on my walking trails.

/ Road maintainer for trails?
   / Road maintainer for trails? #9  
The problem with an ABI TR3 rake is the cost. For my tractor $5,000 with freight from Texas to Florida.

/ Road maintainer for trails? #10  
I like this design