Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #11  
I've been using Mobil 1 for over 30yr with no complaints. The only thing I seem to do different then you guys is, I'll change the oil filter every 3,500 mi. I do a complete change out @ 9,500 give or take some miles.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #12  
I would think that the change times would be based on average not ideal conditions. The average driver drives on highway and does not tow trailers etc. Working your vehicle in dirt, dust and towing all the time certainly reduces the change times.

I just change mine when the computer tells me to since all my driving is on highway and practically no towing. My info from the dealer says that the computer is programed for regular oil, not synthetic, so by using synthetic and changing when the computer tells me to (usually about 7500 miles) I just change when the engine tells me to change and don't worry about the mileage OR time intervals. It mostly takes me about 18 months to reach the mileage limit. I don't have a problem with the "yearly change" since I put in Shell Rotella T6 and run till the computer tells me to change. None of my vehicles use any oil between changes but my highest mileage vehicle is my 2003 Olds Bravada with 115,000 miles.

I have no issue with following the computers oil change recommendation, but I don't think that the computer takes time into consideration. Most manufacturers require a yearly change. That's probably why Mobile One states 15, 000 or 1 year. Check your owners manual. It could affect a warranty claim if a dealer wants to push it.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #13  
The max 1 year recommendation is pretty much universal. It's because after a year the oil starts to incur significant oxidation. As far as tractors go, I would change the oil every 100 to 150 hours due to the amount of idling, which results in a lot of soot build-up in the oil.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #14  
The max 1 year recommendation is pretty much universal. It's because after a year the oil starts to incur significant oxidation. As far as tractors go, I would change the oil every 100 to 150 hours due to the amount of idling, which results in a lot of soot build-up in the oil.

How much time does your tractor idle? My normally only ideas when hooking or unhooking an implement or fueling. Think my JD says if going to idle not sure if over 2 or 5 minutes cut it off or set at very high idle.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #15  
It all depends on your usage I suppose. If operating at a steady state you're typically running at 2500 rpm. In that case 100 hours is comparable to 10,000 Kim's on a road vehicle.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #16  
I would expect your complete change out to align near your filter change of 3,500 miles.
3500, 7000, 10500, 14000, and so on.

I've been using Mobil 1 for over 30yr with no complaints. The only thing I seem to do different then you guys is, I'll change the oil filter every 3,500 mi. I do a complete change out @ 9,500 give or take some miles.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #17  
Like anything oil has gotten better over the years. The Mobile1 you buy today is better than what you bought 10 years ago. Also engines are built better. I would say yes, the 15k/ 1 year M1 is probably better oil. It could just be a better blend of additives or maybe they refined the process actually making the oil. As for how far you want to go between changes, that's up to you. I know most 2 stroke oil says 50 to 1 or even 100 to 1 but I always go about 40 to 1. Since I don't push my Toyota hard I do let they say, 10k between changes with a new cartridge each time.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #18  
I would expect your complete change out to align near your filter change of 3,500 miles.
3500, 7000, 10500, 14000, and so on.

Depends on the time of year. If my change out falls during the winter I'll do it in the fall while the weather is nice. If it falls closer to spring I'll let it ride till I get a decent day and do it then. Since I do it myself outside I'm weather dependent on my schedule. So sometimes I do it early sometimes late, not that big a deal to me.

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #19  
Guess I look at the oil change issue a little differently. Changing oil and the filter, to me, is all about removing the particles from the oil that is to fine to filter out with a oil filter inducing wear in a engine. It's also about providing the best and slickest lubricity that you can have. I've used Mobil 1 for many years and change the filter every time at 5000 miles even though the factory recommends 7500 in the manual, and it's all about the cleanest oil to me for engine life. My diesel uses 3 gallons per oil change, and that's a cheap price to keep the engine fresh as long as I can. ( Chevron in diesels ) I think it comes down to making a choice of what's more important, saving money on maintenance or machinery life ?? When I worked on large stationary engines costing half a million each, cost of the 3 drums of oil necessary to do a oil change never entered into it. We had dozens of these larger engines using 1-3 drums every oil change. Even if some of the larger engines didn't run much, they still got a oil change every year, even with low hours. Cost of the oil shouldn't ever be a factor compared to the cost of the engine. Never had a issue happen with the engine oil. If you had many engines that were running 24/7 it would be a issue, but most of us not operating many engines, I don't think it should be,
Chris

/ Mobil 1 synthetic vs 15000 mi synthetic vs 1 year synthetic #20  
This is more one of those topics in charge of post over on Bob is the oil guy forums. Overall though if you're going to get both the same answers.