Akita Pool

/ Akita Pool #172  
View attachment 520645

Hope this picture helps. This is from my gazebo build. The channel iron is in the middle of the hole with concrete all around it except for where it comes out of the ground. The it's only at the edge of the sono tube. The concrete in the sono tube is only on about half of the hole, so a good part of the weight from the post and above is carried all the way down into the hole, but also some of it is resting on soil.

I'll cut two holes in the channel iron with my torch. Then when the log is set in place, I will drill a 3/4 inch hole through the log, insert 3/4 inch galvanized threaded rod, add a galvanized washer and nut to each side and tighten. Then cut off remaining threaded rod.

The log will still move, so I'll keep it braced until I have the roof all tied to it. That will lock it all in place so there is no racking.

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering if the sonotubes were offset.

Makes perfect sense to me.

/ Akita Pool #173  
I have seen maybe a dozen different ways to anchor posts like that, involving some type of steel and a poured concrete pier. I think they all work. Since I'm out in the country with farmers and scavengers, I figure it must come down to what type of structural steel people have laying around and how they want it to look afterwards.

/ Akita Pool
Didn't get as much done as I had hoped, but a little progress is still progress. The porch is being extended quite a bit and to do this, I need to build up the dirt. I brought in 7 yards so far and probably need another 3 for the pad and one more yard for the fill behind the blocks on the far side, that is hard to get to until I remove the cement mixer. I'm a little amazed at the change. I pictured it in my head, but it's never the same as when you actually create it.

21272213_1635152046508430_1243569075698635828_n.jpg

21369489_1635178573172444_3971399124739141625_n.jpg

IMG_0097.JPG

/ Akita Pool #176  
Thats going to look awesome when done! Those will be some happy dogs!

/ Akita Pool
So many distractions have come up that I haven't had any time to do anything on this until yesterday. The biggest motivation to start this project was that the current cedar posts for the porch where rotting out. I put them in the ground back in 2005 and started noticing rot after a few years. I though they where ready to fail, and thought that if I didn't get them out now, the porch would fall over during a thunderstorm in the Winter or Spring.

After taking apart the porch, I jacked these posts out of the ground to find very solid wood in the ground. I don't know if the outer layer just rots away and that's that, or if the rot would continue like it has and eventually fail. I was surprised by this.

22089721_10214567276358325_1076015622948492869_n.jpg

This morning I woke up planning to get more work done, but my wife was sick and very dehydrated, so we went to the hospital instead. She is doing better, the IV did wonders for her and for the first time in two days, she is able to sleep. I did all her chores today, and went to the feed store. Maybe next weekend I'll be more productive.

/ Akita Pool #179  
Glad your wife is feeling better. No sleep sucks.

Hope you can get going again on the pool.

/ Akita Pool #180  
Eddie,
Were the posts real cedar (like a pine tree) or what we wrongly call cedar in Texas (Mountain Juniper)?

Were the posts the whole tree, maybe with just the bark pealed?

If it was juniper and nearly the whole tree, I think you had the sapwood rot away leaving just the rot-resistant heartwood. Saw it with fence posts growing up.

Usually, the layer of sapwood is fairly thin on Mt. Juniper but I think if it grew in favorable conditions the sapwood gets thicker.