L3400 PTO grind

/ L3400 PTO grind #1  

fma1015

Tractor
Kubota L3400
When engaging the PTO on my Kubota L3400, I get a grinding sound. It does not matter if the attachment (mower) is attached or not, it still grinds. Can you help me figure out what to do?

After doing a little research, I did this and:

I adjusted the freeplay of the clutch pedal. I can get the PTO going without grinding if I let off the clutch pedal about 1/2 inch from the floor before moving the PTO lever over. If I get the PTO up to speed and push in the clutch, it grinds when I let it back out. Is there something else I can try, perhaps adjusting another rod down there near the clutch pedal rod that I did before where you loosen the lock nut and tighten it? There are other similar rods down there and one that goes the other way down below the one I adjusted does not move when depressing the clutch pedal.

Tractor has 288 hours on it.

Thank you!

/ L3400 PTO grind #2  
I could be wrong but my manual says to engage and disengage the PTO when the engines idling and clutch depressed.

/ L3400 PTO grind #3  
With only 288 hrs tractor must still look looks new and if not used much might want to pin the clutch petal down when not in use, the pin is is right there when petal is all the way down on floorboard.

There's only one clutch rod to adjust, max free play is about 1 inch when pedal is at top, I have mine 1/2''. There is one more adjustment for the two stage clutch engagement, think it's for to keep the clutch release at mid point, when clutch petal is at mid point it makes it possible to change gear speed without stopping pto. You should be able to feel a slight indentation when petal is at mid point.

That adjustment is on the right side, inside of bellhousing, have to take loader off, then loader mount, then take small cover plate off. For that adjustment, the 3 or 4 clutch screws are inside, feeler gauge required, it's a little more of a hassle from what I know, that's where an online shop manual would be really helpful. I haven't done that on my 2 stage clutch yet, it still releases at mid point with 1000 hrs. on tractor, so I keep putting that off.

What I do is with rpm's down, I push clutch petal in, sometimes the pto dont go in so I let clutch out a little then push back in, then I get a slight grind, then it goes right in. On mine I added 2 more gallons of trans oil to help slow drive train down, that also helps in shifting into gear when tractor is warmed up.

But now my issue is lot of times my tractor sticks in gear, have to push on brake, jerk the clutch petal couple times to get the clutch to release, the joys of the L3400dt....

/ L3400 PTO grind #4  
I could be wrong but my manual says to engage and disengage the PTO when the engines idling and clutch depressed.

Right as rain Batman................

/ L3400 PTO grind
I still get a grinding at idle unless I move the pedal off fully depressed about 1/2 an inch.

/ L3400 PTO grind
When engaging the PTO on my Kubota L3400, I get a grinding sound. It does not matter if the attachment (mower) is attached or not, it still grinds. Can you help me figure out what to do?

After doing a little research, I did this and:

I adjusted the freeplay of the clutch pedal. I can get the PTO going without grinding if I let off the clutch pedal about 1/2 inch from the floor before moving the PTO lever over. If I get the PTO up to speed and push in the clutch, it grinds when I let it back out. Is there something else I can try, perhaps adjusting another rod down there near the clutch pedal rod that I did before where you loosen the lock nut and tighten it? There are other similar rods down there and one that goes the other way down below the one I adjusted does not move when depressing the clutch pedal.

Tractor has 288 hours on it.

Thank you!

I always had tractor running at full PTO speed when I put the PTO in gear. I would do everything at full PTO throttle. I now know better. Could this rough use be causing it to grind when I put the PTO in gear or when I let the clutch out?

/ L3400 PTO grind #7  
There are "older" PTO Cams that will "Click" or have a "Ratcheting" type sound. It will happen if you have the PTO engaged and you throttle down speed.

IF it's really gut wrenching grinding... after you figure out the problem, change the oil and filters!

I used to have the instructions to adjust the PTO cable... I'll look for it to post.

/ L3400 PTO grind #8  
There are "older" PTO Cams that will "Click" or have a "Ratcheting" type sound. It will happen if you have the PTO engaged and you throttle down speed.

IF it's really gut wrenching grinding... after you figure out the problem, change the oil and filters!

I used to have the instructions to adjust the PTO cable... I'll look for it to post.

Before you look to hard, I think the OP is talking about the L3400dt vs HST, no cable, has a pto lever.

/ L3400 PTO grind #10  
It's HST... been following from another board OTT... (third post down)

L3400 PTO grind - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Guess your right, but begs the ????????????? OP, post 1>("I adjusted the freeplay of the clutch pedal. I can get the PTO going without grinding if I let off the clutch pedal about 1/2 inch from the floor before moving the PTO lever over.") <<<<<Why what where is he adjusting a clutch pedal on a HST?