Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #11  
I looked up the tractor and you have 44pto hp, should be ok for that mower, though 8 feet is big.
Didn't know Mitsubishi builds Masseys in this size, most are by Iseki. Like my small MF.
I used to own a small Case IH with a 23hp Mitsubishi engine and it was the smoothest running diesel I have ever used.
But it did not like field mowing at 90 degrees, even with clean screens and a six foot mower. Kept my eye on the temp gauge and after a long pull up
an incline mowing, it would definitely creep up. But never too much.

Is your tractor overheating or is it just your trans oil that has gone bad? Or both?
You likely have a three speed trans. Are you mowing in low or medium? If you are mowing in High, that might be
an issue.

So I'll add my two cents to the something's plugged or the thermostat doesn't work.
I'd overheat too without water...

btw, welcome to TBN.

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 1758 tractor information

Last edited:
   / Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #12  
I routinely use both my leaf blower and air compressor to clear the cowl screens, radiator screen and the radiator while doing any mowing. At PTO RPMs, the strong suction of the radiator fan brings all that debris to the catch screen and chokes it.

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #13  
I looked up the tractor and you have 44pto hp, should be ok for that mower, though 8 feet is big.
Didn't know Mitsubishi builds Masseys in this size, most are by Iseki. Like my small MF.
I used to own a small Case IH with a 23hp Mitsubishi engine and it was the smoothest running diesel I have ever used.
But it did not like field mowing at 90 degrees, even with clean screens and a six foot mower. Kept my eye on the temp gauge and after a long pull up
an incline mowing, it would definitely creep up. But never too much.

Is your tractor overheating or is it just your trans oil that has gone bad? Or both?
You likely have a three speed trans. Are you mowing in low or medium? If you are mowing in High, that might be
an issue.

So I'll add my two cents to the something's plugged or the thermostat doesn't work.
I'd overheat too without water...

btw, welcome to TBN.

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 1758 tractor information
Just a point of clarification, that is an Iseki built machine, but they use a Mitsu engine for Tier 4 compliance.

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues
Just a point of clarification, that is an Iseki built machine, but they use a Mitsu engine for Tier 4 compliance.

Just the trans. engine is half way up (see picture in original writing). No high grass. more like a lawnmower. Snail gear. Cruise and the radio going on Green Acre music (you have to listen to tractor music when you tractor). It is an Iseki. Bought it because it would fit in a garage with a 8 ft. door.

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #15  
I routinely use both my leaf blower and air compressor to clear the cowl screens, radiator screen and the radiator while doing any mowing. At PTO RPMs, the strong suction of the radiator fan brings all that debris to the catch screen and chokes it.

Me too. When finished mowing I usually blow out my 1736 with the air chuck or leaf blower too. That chaff sure does collect in there all over around the grill and both sides of the radiatorU. Still with my 5’ mower in 90 degree heat I think the highest it ever went was one bar above normal. Once when it hit regen while mowing the engine stunk like it was burning, still the water temp never moved.
Too bad it’s messed up . On the other hand there’s no better place for it to be like that than with the dealer. I’m curious about it trashing the hydraulic oil as the op stated. I can’t see how that could happen from the engine running hot, or did I read that wrong.

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #16  
I have a MF 1754 HST, I had a problem with the hydro oil breaking down under operation. Brand new machine, at 10 hours transmission oil looked milky. Changed fluid and filter. At 25 hours looked milky again. Changed fluid and filter again. Luckily, the dealer paid for the filters and fluid. At 50 hours, fluid milky again. Went with MF semi-synthetic hydo oil and new filter, on my dime, and haven't had a problem with milky fluid since. Now, at 166 hours. Obviously, something else is going on. Be interested in what you find on your tractor. Mine never overheated. Hope you get it fixed quickly. Trust me, I know how it feels when you have a new tractor that isn't working!

I've had and still do have, other issues with my MF1754, I won't rehash here. If interested, you can look at my previous threads. However, my little over one year old battery did give up the ghost yesterday. Electronics never run without engine running at operating RPM. NO short runs. When tractor is operated, it is normally run for at least 1 1/2 hours continously at least at 2000 RPMS. Gotta say, I'm really impressed with this tractor, NOT!!!

/ Massey 1758 Hyro Transmission Oil Issues #17  
Just the trans. engine is half way up (see picture in original writing). No high grass. more like a lawnmower. Snail gear. Cruise and the radio going on Green Acre music (you have to listen to tractor music when you tractor). It is an Iseki. Bought it because it would fit in a garage with a 8 ft. door.

I've never heard of a trans temp gauge on a small tractor. Do others have this? Great that you have it. Not great you are having problems.

engine is about half way up. trans light is on. Resized952017092495145332.jpg

Engine is fine. Trans overheats.Resized952017092495145332.jpg. See pic.

I have a MF 1754 HST, I had a problem with the hydro oil breaking down under operation. Brand new machine, at 10 hours transmission oil looked milky. Changed fluid and filter. At 25 hours looked milky again. Changed fluid and filter again. Luckily, the dealer paid for the filters and fluid. At 50 hours, fluid milky again. Went with MF semi-synthetic hydo oil and new filter, on my dime, and haven't had a problem with milky fluid since. Now, at 166 hours. Obviously, something else is going on. Be interested in what you find on your tractor. Mine never overheated. Hope you get it fixed quickly. Trust me, I know how it feels when you have a new tractor that isn't working!

I've had and still do have, other issues with my MF1754, I won't rehash here. If interested, you can look at my previous threads. However, my little over one year old battery did give up the ghost yesterday. Electronics never run without engine running at operating RPM. NO short runs. When tractor is operated, it is normally run for at least 1 1/2 hours continously at least at 2000 RPMS. Gotta say, I'm really impressed with this tractor, NOT!!!

I am interested in synthetic oil answer. I forwarded it to the dealer and will see if they will do it. How many hours do you have now and what is your drain interval.

Has anyone else changed to synthetic?