Winches Electric winch on L3301

/ Electric winch on L3301 #1  

Einthewoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
Hello all

I want to put an electric winch on the front of my L3301 to be used for pulling logs out to my trails for hauling back to my work area. Does anyone have experience with installing/using an electric winch on Kubota's? Any warnings or suggestion or just plain advice on what you have done?

I looked through some threads on winches but didn't find anything in particular for my question. If there is one already that you know of, feel free to just point me in the direction rather than wasting your time answering again.

Thanks!

/ Electric winch on L3301 #2  
No experience installing them, but have you considered how slow it’s going to be and the duty cycle? The old timers with their mules would be faster.

/ Electric winch on L3301
Well, oddly I don't have mules, I have a tractor.

/ Electric winch on L3301 #4  
Here are a couple of data sheets for electric winches, HF 3500 and 9000 pounds. Note the duty cycle if run at full power, and the line speed.

HF3500winch.jpg HF9000winch.jpg

I've got several electric winches and won't use them for logging. I use cable and pulleys, pulled by a Jeep or tractor, to get the logs to the road.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce

I have a winch on my ATV that I have used as a baseline for expectations. My property is very hilly and have to keep the tractor on the trails which means a lot of the trees I take down I am not able to get close enough to grab them without a winch.

I'll see if a pulley/cable might be possible.

Thanks for the input.

E

/ Electric winch on L3301 #6  
If you've got a halfway decent amount of logs to move, buy a skidding winch. I have a Farmi 351. Absolutely LOVE it. Can't say enough how great it is. If it was stolen tomorrow I'd order a new one. They're not cheap, but they're worth every penny. The Norse winches from Labonville are the lowest cost brand and seem to be very good. Seriously, worth the money. I'd never consider using an electric winch for logs. Too slow, poor duty cycle, and too much strain on the charging system of the tractor.

PS: you can probably buy a new skidding winch, use it for 20 years and sell it for almost what your paid for it.

Thanks Motown.

I did a little looking and that certainly seems like the best long term solution. Being I can't find a lot of info on pricing for them, I suspect that goes to the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" :)

I have sent an email to them for a dealer in my location so I can get some more info.

I was hoping a 7-9000 lb electric winch would work as it certainly seemed like the least expensive way out and was just looking to see if anyone had feedback on using them. I'm guessing not many folks go that route due to the previous comments (duty cycle, slowness, etc.).

/ Electric winch on L3301 #8  
Hello all

I want to put an electric winch on the front of my L3301 to be used for pulling logs out to my trails for hauling back to my work area. Does anyone have experience with installing/using an electric winch on Kubota's? Any warnings or suggestion or just plain advice on what you have done?

I looked through some threads on winches but didn't find anything in particular for my question. If there is one already that you know of, feel free to just point me in the direction rather than wasting your time answering again.

Thanks!

I'm considering a winch for my L6060 but for a different purpose. I want to use it for vehicle recovery and to pull the tractor out of mud / snow. Kubota CUT tractors don't have electrical systems suitable for the heavy draw required by most winches. Since I have rear remotes and a 3rd function valve on the L6060, I've been looking at hydraulic powered winches such as:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200464231_200464231

and

Runva 1, lbs. Capacity Hydraulic Towing Recovery Winch with 65 ft. Steel Cable-1HX - The Home Depot

They can be more expensive than comparable electric models but they eliminate the heavy electric draw issue.

Thanks bdhsfz6.

I don't have rear remote setup (yet) and was the reason I was looking at electric. Looks like there is no cheap way out and I have to look at something similar to what you are or PTO like the farmi.

Thanks again for the comments.