Straps vs chains - trailering

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #31  
What makes them DOT compliant or not?

Aaron Z

I am not and expert but will pass on what I was told. The folks at Truck Accessories, Towing Equipment and Cargo Control: Truck n Tow .com can help further as well as your local DOT folks.

Binder chains need to be grade 70 or better - usually gold colored. However the hooks and binders should be equally rated for the chain dimension.

Most DOT/Cargo rated strapping will have a load rating or DOT certification printed on them or a tag. You use the load rating based on the weight of the cargo you are securing. As others have said there may be a default rating if this information is missing.

When I was checked the officer indicated to only use grade 70 or better (stamped on the chain and hook) or use strapping that had the tag or load rating imprinted on the strap. Frayed straps were a concern to them. I am sure there are other regulations but have not looked further. I invested in a DOT rated set up to handle my tractor and implements. I have 3/8 grade 70 chain/hooks and matching rated binders. I also found out that my cam lock HF binders were unrated. Office took the time after I asked to check what I had in the box. I now have a lot less in there.

Hope this helps

To me getting the correct securement materials, be it chains or straps, is cheap insurance to paying for a broken tractor or implement and the possibility of hurting someone else.

The best for the new year folks.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #32  
Similarly, unmarked webbed cargo straps in good condition are minimum-rated at 1,000 pounds WLL per inch of width. A properly marked 4-inch strap could be rated as high as 5,400 pounds. If that 5,400-pound strap were downgraded 4,000 pounds because the label or marking was missing or not legible, the driver could come up 1,400 pounds short per damaged strap in meeting the minimum AWLL for the cargo.
I agree, however I was trying to see what powerscol was talking about when they said:
Just remember that whatever you use be sure the straps or chains are DOT compliant. Many of the TSC ones are not, which I was using. I ran through a check point last summer with my Bobcat CT235. I had it tied down with chains and straps. Some were compliant, and others not. Inspector was very nice about it and explained what I really needed, both per CO and federal law and for my own liability. I could have been fined if I was running commercial - I am considered farm.
As near as I can tell, ALL TSC straps are compliant when sold. If damaged or missing their tags, they are only rated for the "standard load rating" (rather than whatever they are actually rated for).

Aaron Z

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #33  
I have seen many people take a chain or strap and run from one side of the trailer over a axle or through a securement point of the load and then back down to the other side of the trailer. Then do the same on the opposite end and call this good. This appears to be two points of connection at each end of the load. But to me that is only one point at each end. If that strap or chain failed at either end it would lose both connection points on that end. Does this make sense? What I’m saying is a individual strap and or binder for each corner of load is better.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #34  
I have seen many people take a chain or strap and run from one side of the trailer over a axle or through a securement point of the load and then back down to the other side of the trailer. Then do the same on the opposite end and call this good. This appears to be two points of connection at each end of the load. But to me that is only one point at each end. If that strap or chain failed at either end it would lose both connection points on that end. Does this make sense? What I知 saying is a individual strap and or binder for each corner of load is better.

over 10k each corner (4) under 10k I just use 2 the way u said

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #35  
I have seen many people take a chain or strap and run from one side of the trailer over a axle or through a securement point of the load and then back down to the other side of the trailer. Then do the same on the opposite end and call this good. This appears to be two points of connection at each end of the load. But to me that is only one point at each end. If that strap or chain failed at either end it would lose both connection points on that end. Does this make sense? What I’m saying is a individual strap and or binder for each corner of load is better.

Agree with that. I have 6 10ft chains and 6 binders set aside for trailering. One for each corner of the tractor, one for the backhoe, one for the loader.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #36  

Retarded way of restraining a load, IMO. One failure point at each end and no side-to-side restraint at all. If that load starts going sideway, which it will during an accident, there's nothing restraining the load and allowing it to get some momentum sideways.

Like I said: Retarded.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #37  
I'm guilty of this too at times but it doesn't matter if you are towing 10 miles or 1000 miles. Bad things can happen on short trips as well. You could be involved in a wreck, have a blow out, hit a slick spot in the road etc. I now try to always secure my load the same now even if I am going "just down the road".

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #38  
Most accidents are within 10 miles of home, so you should avoid that area.

:)

Bruce

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #39  
One thing that a lot of people don't take into account is a rubber tired load will bounce a certain amount as you go over rough spots. When that happens and the load comes up again after the tires have squatted, the load imparted to the hold downs will be greater than what it was in a static situation. If that bounce is great enough it is possible it can cause the hold downs to break, even fairy hefty ones, and don't forget...the angle of the hold downs between trailer and resultant loads also influences the load on them and can magnify the forces. Vectors and geometry and all that stuff.

/ Straps vs chains - trailering #40  
Mace, as usual you are right. I compensate some for that by pulling the tractor down till the tires squish down an inch or two. Back to my basic premise; the load has to make a solid cube with the truck or trailer or it will move around. I learned that doing break bulk ship loading in the Navy.

Ron