Super tall pickup beds

/ Super tall pickup beds #32  
I love my deep tall bed - it is not a mall cruiser, its a truck and gets used as a truck.
I love the taller ride height and the ground clearance underneath.

No need to jack it up to check/change transfercase/diff fluids.

/ Super tall pickup beds #33  
About 6 months ago I parked my Tacoma next to a nicely restored 67-72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, stock height. Hood, cab, and bed height were almost exactly the same.

Bruce

A point missed by most in these conversations. :D

/ Super tall pickup beds #34  
Half ton pickups are being sissified right out of the picture when it comes to actually being able to use them. Traction control, AdvanceTrack, Roll Stability Control, et al, make it really easy to get hopelessly stuck in muddy or slippery conditions. Good luck trying to tug an empty gravity wagon out of a damp cornfield anymore. The interiors are as nice as the finest luxury cars and just as delicate. I keep saying that my 2011 F150 is probably the last truck I'll buy that has any utility value/abilities (and that is stretching it). I'm going Super-Duty next time around or possibly into the medium duty truck market.

I like the rental F150's at Menard's and Home Depot with the aluminum flatbeds and the fold down/removeable sides! That might be the way to go in a Super Duty someday.

In my area 1/2Ts are exclusively used as cars. Work trucks are 3/4T or 1T. Beginning to see more F450s and F550s, same in the Dodge brand. Friend of mine uses a Dodge 5500.

Unfortunately this is a minority in the national market. 1/2T trucks are "citified".

/ Super tall pickup beds #35  
Half ton pickups are being sissified right out of the picture when it comes to actually being able to use them. Traction control, AdvanceTrack, Roll Stability Control, et al, make it really easy to get hopelessly stuck in muddy or slippery conditions. Good luck trying to tug an empty gravity wagon out of a damp cornfield anymore. The interiors are as nice as the finest luxury cars and just as delicate. I keep saying that my 2011 F150 is probably the last truck I'll buy that has any utility value/abilities (and that is stretching it). I'm going Super-Duty next time around or possibly into the medium duty truck market.

I like the rental F150's at Menard's and Home Depot with the aluminum flatbeds and the fold down/removeable sides! That might be the way to go in a Super Duty someday.

There is abutton on the dash to disable traction control - which is mandated on all light duty pick ups.

/ Super tall pickup beds #36  
A point missed by most in these conversations. :D

And that’s also a grocer getter. My buddy has a late 90s or early 2000s Tacoma. I hauled 700 pounds of concrete in the back and that was about maxed out. I wouldn’t hook my heavier lawnmower trailer to it with my ZTR on it. I might pull my single axel trailer with a regular riding mower on it. The newer ones are a little more capable but they’re also bigger.

/ Super tall pickup beds #37  
My personal favourite a 3/4 ton pickup with 12 in suspension lift and 6 inch body lift running 44 inch super swamper tires sitting in the handicap parking spot in front of the walmart????? How handicapped are you to climb 6 feet up into that truck????

/ Super tall pickup beds #38  
I recently (within the last year) bought a few F350s, one single axle, one dually, both 2wd with flatbeds. After owning a truck with a flatbed it would really be a disappointment to go back to a bed, besides hauling loose material like gravel or mulch I have yet to find something a flatbed isn’t better at. So many more tie down points, so much lower to the ground, so much more useable surface. They are great.

My dually flatbed is 8ft wide and 9ft long lol, the single axle is around 7ft wide and 8ft long. View attachment 540152View attachment 540153

Don’t get me started on how easy round bales unload with pallet forks.

I’d be hard pressed to go back to a regular pickup. My dump truck is pretty sweet. A flatbed dump with heavy duty removable side boards would be the ticket. I might end up with a 1/2 ton truck to drive but I wouldn’t part with my dump truck until I have to. I haven’t looked very hard for another pickup because I figure the dump truck and insurance is already paid for. The 1/2 ton might get a little better mileage, but not enough to pay the insurance.

/ Super tall pickup beds #39  
My personal favourite a 3/4 ton pickup with 12 in suspension lift and 6 inch body lift running 44 inch super swamper tires sitting in the handicap parking spot in front of the walmart????? How handicapped are you to climb 6 feet up into that truck????

Did you bother to look in the cab to see if a lift platform was there? Or a crane in the bed to life things in?

I saw a Dmax in a parking lot that had both.

/ Super tall pickup beds #40  
I reckon that it's supply & demand. More urban purchasers wanting jacked up height = can see farther in traffic and are more prominent (look at ME!!!).

In other words, the 'pick-ups' (utes) are drifting away from being practical work vehicles.

While a lot of that goes on with the mall crawlers in town, I wouldn't say it's an urban thing or is impractical. Lifting trucks to fit bigger tires started off the pavement and moved to town.

My parents are more rural farmers/ranchers than most anyone, but all their vehicles have taller, more aggressive tires. Without them, there's many times during the year they wouldn't be able to get off the mountain.