Snow Orange on Red

/ Orange on Red #101  
I use a push squeegee like this to push the snow of my wood deck. Works if you get it before it's too deep, 3" or so depending on how much water content. Driveway's too darn big for that, I just use the front mount blower on the tractor and go faster.

http://https://www.lowes.com/pd/Quickie-BULLDOZER-Rubber-Floor-Squeegee/50336001?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-Paint-_-CleaningTools-_-50336001:Quickie_BULLDOZER&CAWELAID=&kpid=50336001&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=8dd60bb6-9f74-45f9-9b40-33f1cab8fbda&msclkid=7e5cfa423bec1275e09ca0cb97728490

/ Orange on Red #102  
Yep, that's what I do. Anything more than 2.5"... squeegee is not efficient. Then I get to see just how fast I can blow off the whole driveway with the tractor! :cool2:

/ Orange on Red #103  
That's an interesting thought Irv. Got me to thinking of a fabing a 50" wide clamp-on (to blower) squeegee. Something sim. to forks that clamp onto a tractor bucket.

Since it would just be for light amounts I'd think about going to 5-6' wide...

/ Orange on Red #104  
Problem with a clamp on to blower, is the blower has too much weight for any typical squeegee blade that's made of rubber. So then you might be looking at a more durable material . . . like UHMW PE . . . and I've already got the blade and skid on the blower made out of that :c).

'Course you could use gage wheels for the existing skids on blower to keep most of the weight off the blade, I guess. Just not sure what one would gain over just using the blower, or a back blade with plastic edge etc.

/ Orange on Red #105  
"What you might find works for those "nuisance" 1-1/2/" snowfalls is what I do: use a good, commercial-grade garage floor squeegee. I can do my whole driveway with that in about 40 minutes, using NO fuel."

Shucks that's nothing, around here I'd be squeegeeing every 2-3 rd day.
Snow tires handle that.
OK, maybe after 3-4 of those 'nuisance events' I give in and scrape them away as that is why I have a plow.
LOL, funny in that I have no 'pot holes' in the winter.
(same goes for the county road, but hey, they promised to pave the last mile this year, fingers crossed as we did have elections and we all know about politicians and their promises)

/ Orange on Red
Problem is I can't just leave .5" 'Nuisance' snow untreated w/ the steep slope of my d-way. And that's just a bit too deep to solve by only layin down salt or c chloride
I have no problem getting just about anywhere w/ the studded tires on my little monster of a Renegade. So driving over it & packing it down... no worries for me.
But untreated, packed & slick from being driven upon, I'd never get another FedEx or UPS delivery or for that matter, if I needed a Fire truck, ambulance, or police ...
they'd not making it up to my house either.
But then agin .... winter does, for the most part, keep the in-laws away- so there's that...

What I need do is figure a way to reload a single garage space, so as to fit storing the loader & backhoe attachments (and 2 sets of summer auto tires),
while parking the Massey w/ the blower attached, AND have reasonably enough room to janeuver swapping the blower for the rotary broom.
A @#$k'n rubrik's cube of a puzzle.

What I really need do is move where there IS no @#$k'n snow!!
Problem solved!!! :sun: :palmtree: :fishing:

/ Orange on Red #107  
Problem is I can't just leave .5" 'Nuisance' snow untreated w/ the steep slope of my d-way. And that's just a bit too deep to solve by only layin down salt or c chloride
I have no problem getting just about anywhere w/ the studded tires on my little monster of a Renegade. So driving over it & packing it down... no worries for me.
But untreated, packed & slick from being driven upon, I'd never get another FedEx or UPS delivery or for that matter, if I needed a Fire truck, ambulance, or police ...
they'd not making it up to my house either.
But then agin .... winter does, for the most part, keep the in-laws away- so there's that...

What I need do is figure a way to reload a single garage space, so as to fit storing the loader & backhoe attachments (and 2 sets of summer auto tires),
while parking the Massey w/ the blower attached, AND have reasonably enough room to janeuver swapping the blower for the rotary broom.
A @#$k'n rubrik's cube of a puzzle.

What I really need do is move where there IS no @#$k'n snow!!
Problem solved!!! :sun: :palmtree: :fishing:

Hi Tim, It would help to know what state you reside. Also, my driveway sounds very similar to yours.

Here's what I do with the dolly's I built and how they "copulate" in the winter to save space.
TLB winter.JPG

/ Orange on Red #108  
I just got my front mount snowblower hooked up and I’ll be trying it out soon. Do you guys with front mount blowers use the float hydraulic position, or set the blower a fixed distance off the road? We have some gravel sections and a few rocks so I’m wondering about the need for keeping the blower up a little bit rather than letting it ride on the shoes. I’ll be figuring this out for myself soon enough, the way the snow is coming down.

/ Orange on Red #109  
I have a paved drive, and use float for the most part. Once in a while I will go into non-float to add down-pressure on certain trouble spots.

/ Orange on Red #110  
No, you don't want to pick up gravel with the blower. On pavement, most use float and let the blower slides follow any grade changes.

If blowing over gravel you have a couple of choices, many will slice a length of pipe to fit over the blower scraper blade. This can be steel pipe with a lengthwise slot (two cuts). Probably the easiest way to cut it would be a plasma cutter, 2nd choice oxy-acetylene, or an angle grinder with cutoff wheel (slow but doable).

Heard some will get a good layer of snow packed down by driving over it, then just blow what comes on top or that to avoid picking up gravel.

Since I don't have gravel to deal with, I've done neither of the above.