Welding gas bottle, buy or lease?

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #1  

Oldpath05

Tractor
none
For 20 years I've been leasing a 75/25 welding gas bottle and most of those years it was $50.00/year, Feb-Feb and every year I'd say to myself that it might be better to just buy the bottle. Then I go out to the weld supply store in February with money in short supply, the store owner always seem to scare me with a price of somewhere over $300.00 for a 4' tall bottle and the $50.00/year lease always wins out,,,,,,,,,,,until this year in March.

The welding store place I was going to for the past 25 years was 25 mi away, so last August on a Friday after the Dentist, I stopped in and first thing I notice on the door is No Saturday hrs. and Sat is usually when I go there, I walk in and ask him what's with no Sat, he says just cutting back some hrs, then I look around and noticed some shelves were empty-ish, a little chit chat, got what I wanted, went home. then last October my son needed some .030 welding wire, he went out during the work week and pulled in and there was a new sign on the door, Closed, he looked in the window and the place was empty. Come to find out by a letter in the mail back in November, the owner that I been buying weld supplies off from for 25 years sold out to an Auto parts stor and retired. I liked the guy so it would've been nice to get a handshake.

Now that an Auto parts store, (Soules in Chelsea Me.) 15 miles further away has taken over they finally sent my lease bill due notice last week and this year I finally made up my mind to buy and not lease for another $50.00/year. So's for to get a reference point of price and hours option, I first call MaineOxy last Sat, and for my 4' bottle size of 75/25 they wanted $420.00 to own, $166.00/year, $188.00/3 years, $68.00/refill, aprox 35mi away, open weekdays & Sat 9-12.

Next I call Soules in Chelsea last Sat, a place I never been to and yeah sounded friendly, the sales guy said the person to call about buying bottles was not here this Sat, but next Monday-Saturday, ok I call Monday after I get home, he gave me the price of $280.00 something, $48.00 refill, $50.00/year and he said if I call during week they deliver to my house, I'm 35-40 mi away, in afternoon or next morning for extra $3.00 hazmat fee, $10.00 delivery fee which might be worth it at times. So last Monday night gave CC number and email address and ask if they email me the receipt, yup yup and ok. So before I run out of ink on my laptop, after a couple more phone calls Tuesday, last night I check my online CC statement and they did charged my CC $395.00,,,,, and so now am I a proud owner of a 75/25, 4' high welding gas bottle from Soules Auto Parts store?

But as of tonight, no email receipt, I dont know about businesses that say they will and dont, I'll call again this Saturday for an email receipt, I just like something for a receipt that says what I own, what it is, the price I paid, and when I bought it, I'm funny that way.

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #2  
I've had a local welding supply (big national company) get crazy with the leases. Purchased some bottles for work. Then had a bill show up a few months later for leased bottles. This was a fight for a couple years till we finally complained to there corporate office and that manager got canned.

So, after that ordeal, I pay with company credit card. Purchase the tanks. Then when I run out. I take the tank back to them and exchange it for $20 to $45 depending on which tank it is. Pay with credit card. Always get the receipt there. I also shy away from delivery after that ordeal with that company.

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #3  
I decided to buy instead of lease. It might be long time before I use up the gas and I hate nagging recurring charges.

So, I bought (2) 125 Cu ft bottles, 48" X 7". One argon and one Ar/CO2 for $234 each total with tax. I was promised in writing that they will never be refused for exchange because of being out of certification.

Now, I'm building my new welding cart that holds both bottles, my DC welder and my multi-function welder.

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #4  
I bought an 80 cf tank for around $220 when I bought my MIG, which is a #3. It works out to about 4 hours continuous welding, less if I forget to close the valve. My usage is in spurts. Might not touch it for 6-8 months, then use up a whole bottle in a weekend if I get serious on a project. Personally, I like not having the recurring bill, especially if I go 2 years between fills. They wouldn't sell me a bottle bigger than 80 cf, lease only they say.

Forklift propane tanks are where they really have a racket though, at least locally. They wanted $50 or something stupid for a lease, and charge hazmat fees and whatnot every exchange. I bought a brand new aluminum 33.5 lb tank outright for $150. Now I take it to tractor supply and pay $2.70 per gallon to refill it. It had been $2.20/gal up until a couple months ago.

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #5  
Amazon has 75/25 Argon/CO2 80CuFt $250 125 CuFt $300, bottles are full and within 2 years of inspection. Free shipping

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #6  
Bought my last 125cf tank from TWS here in town, About $225 with 100% argon. About $100 cheaper than Matheson or Airgas. 300cf tank is $85 per year from Airgas, $72 per year from TWS.

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #7  
I bought tanks when I was about 20 years old.... I've only filled them(which is an exchange), about 4 times. I'm 57. ;)

I did have to upgrade once in there, as one time the tank was very old, but the fee was something like $40. Anyhow, for me, with minimal usage, owning worked out better than leasing.

Just curious as to how many times per year you refill your?

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #8  
I bought tanks when I was about 20 years old.... I've only filled them(which is an exchange), about 4 times. I'm 57. ;)

I did have to upgrade once in there, as one time the tank was very old, but the fee was something like $40. Anyhow, for me, with minimal usage, owning worked out better than leasing.

Just curious as to how many times per year you refill your?

4 times last year, once this year already.

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease?
Me and my son go through 1-2 tanks/year. I see several sizes in welding cylinders here, all I know about my 75/25 tank size is it's around 4' tall and the slip/bill they sent me says AR25-146, I'm guessing 146 means CF, and what does TWS stand for?

/ Welding gas bottle, buy or lease? #10  
Airgas is the company serving my area. I own six tanks. When I refill it's just a swap of tanks. The MIG welder large tank I have now had never been used when I got it. Airgas keeps all the tanks current and inspected.