York rake size

/ York rake size #1  

coolbrze

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800
What size York rake would you recommend for a mid-50s HP tractor - a 6 or 7'? Also, when raking a gravel drive, how do you recommend the rake be angled? Or do I keep it perpendicular to the the driveway?

/ York rake size #2  
I asked the local NH dealer (he's close by and I buy parts from) about their LS rake and size to horsepower requirements.
Summary is that this is not a heavy implement that digs in like a plow and requires X-HP per foot.
So the 6 or 7 foot rake was more about what would be a good fit for my situation.

If you have a local dealer regardless of color just ask him as your window shopping implements. See what type of view they hold.
HP may not be a primary factor. But those with way more experience may have better insight. I'm still a novice.

/ York rake size #3  
If I,I would go for 7'.
Each driveway little different,I 45 pull from ditches to make crown for the water to drain.

/ York rake size #4  
What size York rake would you recommend for a mid-50s HP tractor - a 6 or 7'?

Also, when raking a gravel drive, how do you recommend the rake be angled?

Inform us of the outside-to-outside width of your tractor tires. Without this measurement no one can give you a proper recommendation. Wheel/tire spread can move the needle 24" on optimum rake width selection.

York Rakes are a brand of Landscape Rake, made by York Modern, originally in York, Pennsylvania. Is a York Rake what you have? Frames on York Rakes vary a bit from generic Landscape Rakes.

Landscape Rakes are most often used on a 45 degree angle, but angle is changed according to width of swathe desired and material worked, among other factors. Sometimes a flat gravel drive is raked full width. Crowned gravel drives are raked at less than half width.

Changing rake angles is a simple pin-lock change. The greater the angle, the more material moves along the face of the rake.

If you have a flat gravel drive consider a Land Plane Grading Scraper as well as a rake. Two blades and basin LPGS is much faster for repetitive gravel grading. LPGS "recovers" gravel.

Landscape Rakes are seldom used perpendicular to tractor, except when gathering debris, when rakes without gauge wheels are reversed to push debris.

Your next question should be: Do I need $300-$400 gauge wheels for my Landscape (or York) Rake?

I have both an ETA Landscape Rake with ETA gauge wheels and a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment. I suggest you research Landscape Rake Vs. Ratchet Rake.

I use my Ratchet Rake at least eight hours for each hour i use my Landscape Rake. Ratchet Rakes does not require gauge wheels. Ratchet Rake is the more versatile tool. If raking driveway gravel is your primary task a Landcape (or York) Rake with gauge wheels may be the better tool. A Landscape Rake is a two trick pony.

If you have a flat gravel drive a Land Plane Grading Scraper may be superior to both a Landscape Rake and Ratchet Rake.
An LPGS is a one trick pony.

Implement weight per unit of width is your friend in all ground contact work.

VIDEOS: land plane grading scraper - YouTube

eta landscape rake - YouTube

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 303
Last edited:
   / York rake size
Awesome thanks guys & esp Jeff. Talked to a dealer today & he said for what I'd want, the LR when perpendicular should cover at least the width of the tractor tires so I think a 7' landscape rake is what I'd want. My current 6' LR is too small for the new MX5800.

Jeff - the dealer I spoke w/ this a.m. also mentioned the LPGS & said they're the bees knees!

/ York rake size #6  
Without having accurate outside-to-outside width of your tractor tires no one can make an optimal Landscape Rake width recommendation. Wheel/tire spread can move the needle 24" on optimum rake width selection.

A Landscape Rake should cover the full width of rear tractor tires when angled at 45 degrees. Set perpendicular a Landscape Rake should be wider than your rear tires.

Sometime you may want to rake debris out of a swale while tractor is parallel to the swale. To tilt rake, you adjust right Lifting Rod on the Three Point Hitch. If rake is too short, you cannot reach into the swale to collect debris.

Likewise, you cannot crown with a short rake, though crowning with a rake is only practical in thin scives when soil is moist. I crown occasionally with my Landscape Rake. I have sandy soil. No rocks. No clay.

Implement weight per unit of width is your friend in ground contact work.

Last edited:
   / York rake size #7  
Depends what you are doing but I actually like my 6ft rake even on my big Ford 3910, if doing a driveway I offset it to get beyond the tire when angled. Yet it's much more maneuverable when doing topsoil around trees and buildings etc

/ York rake size #8  
Here is a pic of my 7 foot rake behind a JD 650,, maybe 16HP?

snowrake_zpsiywudsde.jpg

I can move a fair amount of gravel with this,, but,, the JD 4105 does much better,,,

It is the same rake in all pics,, the 4105 is 41 HP,,,

gaDHwHU.jpg

9o3ZZ0l.jpg

/ York rake size #9  
Depends what you are doing but I actually like my 6ft rake even on my big Ford 3910, if doing a driveway I offset it to get beyond the tire when angled. Yet it's much more maneuverable when doing topsoil around trees and buildings etc

Fine, IF one has a Landscape Rake with offset capability.

/ York rake size #10  
Note gauge wheels in CADPLAN's photos.