Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson #1  

Geotech

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501,
Hello all,

I've been reading plenty of posts and the general info has been very useful. I'm getting down to the brass tacks for a purchase in about 5 months from now.

I've got 24 acres in east Texas with lots of hardwoods and no pasture (not yet - maybe not ever). I have a 2,000+ ft long drive in rough condition and lots of brush to clear. Will also build a very small dam/culvert-bridge to cross a spring fed creek. The soil across the entire property is sand. I live in town 1.5 hours away and the tractor will probably get used 2 to 4 times a month when I visit the property. I will store it onsite in a shipping container. I don't NEED a tractor -just want one so I can do these tasks at my leisure but with higher productivity than doing it by hand. Whichever tractor I get, I will also get a grapple, box blade and rotary cutter. The latter two attachments might be purchased used. I am considering the following tractors:

Kioti CK3510 or 4010 from Cosper Tractor or Four Brothers Outdoor Power Equipment

LS XG3135 or 3140 from Cosper Tractor

New Holland Workmaster 35 (LS Equivalent) from Four Bros.

Branson 3520 from Big Red's Tractors or Big Tex Tractors

The Kioti seems the most attractive in terms of value and perceived quality/reliability. The LS and Workmaster are very close to the Kioti but I didn't like how the LS on the lot wouldn't throttle up...probably no big deal, but not a good omen when the machine on the lot needs a repair. The people at Cosper Tractor are very helpful, old school, straight up guys. Every time I have been to Four Bros. nobody has acknowledged my presence, though I did not request help. Young sounding guys on the phone at Four Bros. don't seem to know any more about their product than I do. Cosper has been selling Kioti for 20+ years. Four Bros. started about 5 years ago. Cosper is about 30 min from my house and Four Bros is about 30 min from my property where the tractor will be. Only a handful of good and genuine appearing reviews to be found for Cosper online. Online complaints on Four Brothers seem to be about their service -particularly at their branch near my property -mostly with mowers and smaller tools, though.

The Branson seems to have the best specs per dollar and is basically one frame class higher. However, when I visited Big Red's, which by most accounts is primarily a Branson dealer, they pushed me toward the Massey Ferguson they are carrying and were kind of talking bad about parts lead time on Branson causing them to migrate. I have not visited Big Tex yet, but cannot find anything but sterling reviews for them online - literally 73 google reviews with 5 stars. No BBB reviews to be found. I find it hard to believe that there are no dissatisfied customers at Big Tex. A good web admin can work some magic with online reviews... Big Red's has some complaints, but they are mostly due to not refunding deposits to customers who changed their mind and thought they were unclear about the deposit policy. The fact that there are four complaints about this indicates the dealer is not very customer friendly, especially when the complaints appear unique to them and not other dealers. I don't have a warm fuzzy with Big Red's or the "perfect" Big Tex.

Does anyone have first or second hand experience/knowledge about any of these dealers? I'm also open to discussion on my model picks. FYI, I've eliminated Kubota due primarily to their huge disparity in loader ability given the same price/model range.

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson #2  
The Korean manufacturers build excellent products at a good price. However,
before eliminating Kubota, know that their loaders typically lift higher than other manufacturers so when comparing loader specs you need to compare lift capacity at a given height to compare apples to apples. Their loaders usually have more reach too.

You may also want to consider the Yanmar YT235 in your comparison shopping. Both Kubota and Yanmar build the entire tractor including the engine in Japan.

Let's Talk: Loader LIES! How specifications can be manipulated. - YouTube

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson
Lift height at pin at 1.5 meters off the ground Kioti is 1835 lbs, Kubota L-Series is 1490 lbs. This is an apples to apples comparison that accounts for your video post. I may not be able to fit that much weight in the bucket, but the extra lift will come in handy for various other tasks...

I will admit though, Kubota's lift looks much better after comparing pin to pin, height for height...enough to make another visit to the Kubota dealership. Kubota is more expensive, but not by as much as what most online critics seem to claim.

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson #4  
Just looked at tractors this past week with my father in Mabank. First, I would work with a dealer close to the place the tractor will be located. Second, make sure you drive these around and/or demo them on your property before you buy anything. Trust me it will be worth your time.
How far east are you? If we are talking Tyler/Athens area here are the ones I wrote down:

1. Pineco - Mahindra
2. Smith and Sons - Massey Ferguson
3. Athens tractor - Kubota
4. Nortex tractor - new holland and Mahindra
5. Lowe tractor - Kubota
6. United ag and turf - Deere
7. McKinley farms - used Deere and Kubota
8. Big Tex - Branson
9. VN tractors - TYM
10. Deen Kubota
11. Alba Pittsburg tractor Kubota
12. Sandy land equipment-Ls tractor

We visited United Ag and Athens Tractor. Looking at entry utility level machines, probably a bit bigger than you are in the market for. Both dealers were well furnished and seem to have good service departments. My father takes his ZT to United Ag for service and he says they are great. I felt like Athens tractor was equally worthy.

On the plus side, there are 4 Kubota dealers close in the East Texas area, so you should have good dealer/parts availability if you go that route. I see Kubota's all over east Texas. Much akin to the green I see around the CO foothills!

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson #5  
Any dealer no matter how good is going to have some unhappy customers. Some people have unreasonable expectations. Online reviews are a small, biased sample.
It's only been a year and a half but I've not needed anything other than filters for my Branson 3725. Sales people often steer customers towards the brand or model that gets the salesperson the most money. If there's a spiff for MFs the salesperson will try to sell MFs.

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson #6  
I have a 14 year old Century(same as Branson 3510) that has been a work horse with 1100 hours now. The only non maintenance items I have replaced are a fuel pump, power steering reservoir, and the glow plugs. In my part of the country (Virginia) the real problem is finding a dealer that is close by. I have ordered from Big Red's in the past but now use a regional dealer who just opened up a couple of years ago. But as for quality of tractor, it is as tough as many of the old ford 3000s I grew up with. Mine came with a Humpolec loader made in the Czech Republic and it was the strength of that loader that sold me on the tractor. It is s heavy tractor compared to some of the others. Drive them all and then get the one you are most comfortable with. W Jones

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson #7  
Any reason you're not checking out the LS tractors at RCO in Greenville?

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson
No reason other than distance.

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson #9  
i have looked at all recently and my vote would go in this order, ls/cnh/fnh - branson/tym - deere - Kubota - Mahindra - we didn't have a kioti dealer to look at close - the deere/Kubota were mostly because of price/proprietary stuff and the Kubota dealer and I had a difference of opinion on how something was handled a few yrs back so i don't do business with them any longer - they don't have the best reputation around here - the problem for me on the others was they didn't have a MMM offering that i needed for my current situation so it made it very difficult to have options, i just pulled the trigger on a new deere today

/ Hello! Looking at Kioti, LS and Branson #10  
I find that each badge has it's unique characteristics. Find none with all of them on all of the models. Don't know of any badges that are bad purchases. The length of the current popular warranties pretty much tells you the mfgrs. are proud of their products. I'd shop the best you can and if you have unanswered questions, contact a dealer of your potential choice and ask about the amenity of which you are interested.