Need some Tree trimming advice

/ Need some Tree trimming advice #21  
What would be the best way to cut this without killing myself?

Appears to be cracked so very unsafe. Hire a professional to do it. Probably be around $300?

/ Need some Tree trimming advice #22  
I'm retired & burn wood for heat so the clean up isn't a factor.

You're right about that, I'm not.

Pole saw doesn't seem to be a viable option.

Being a stubborn (wife says Bull Headed) German, it's not easy to wrap my head around hiring pro's to do such a small job.

I've got the same problem about being stubborn.

If I knew a pole saw wouldn't do I'd use it as an excuse to buy something to get me higher. Like two sections of HF scaffold ($170@). Then tie it off far out and attack it with one of my saws about where I circled.

Or rent some scaffold.

But I'd probably just use my pole saw.

g4-ppt280.jpg

/edit rope saw sounds good also

Attachments

• splittree_LI.jpg
    splittree_LI.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 91
   / Need some Tree trimming advice #24  
There are several factors that make this much more dangerous than the normal "cutting down a big branch" stuff.

A professional is likely going to bring in a cherry picker and take this thing down in very small sections starting at the tip. That's the only safe way.

The only thing worse than you standing on the ground under it or anywhere near it, is you on a ladder or scaffold under it.

Last edited:
   / Need some Tree trimming advice
I had something similar and used a rope saw.

Took forever, but I didn't have a pole saw yet and I was able to use the rope saw from about 15' back from the branch by sending one of the ropes way forward to a pulley mounted at the base of another tree, so I avoided anything falling on me as well as keeping the chain from binding.

Turns out to have been a good thing that I cut it, too; two years later the whole tree fell, and the stub of the big branch that I'd cut caught most of the impact before it hit my garage so it merely punched a hole in the roof with an upper branch rather than completely smashing the structure :laughing:

But seriously, consider the rope saw. They're tedious to use (way better if you have two people for something like this!) but you can cut just about anything that you can throw the weight bag over.. and they're really cheap, too.

Hummmm... And it doesn't have to be done all in one day....

/ Need some Tree trimming advice #26  
You don't say what you have for saws or what your expertise level is. If it was mine, based on the pics and my comfort level I would climb a ladder, strap myself in at the base of the limb and carefully cut the outer part, leaving a hinge so that it slowly drops to the ground.
If it didn't feel right once I got up there I would say censored this and call a pro.
Whatever you do, trust your gut and don't exceed what you feel comfortable doing.

/ Need some Tree trimming advice #27  
I wonder how many that respond have ever used a chainsaw, let alone cut a tree.

/ Need some Tree trimming advice #28  
I am not a pro but have done a lot of cutting with chain saw and limbs. Not sure have ever cut one split as bad as this one but if your picture is accurate would be very comfortable cutting it. I am 65 so can relate to age consideration. A gas powered poll saw would be my preferred tool. Yes it is split and yes you can not see all the effects of the split...start by cutting slowly and stepping back and see how the limb is acting. Do not use a ladder...too many times the limb swings taking out the ladder and the person cutting the limb.

But first get price to hire this done. Think that will help make that decision.

/ Need some Tree trimming advice #29  
Get above it (climb/cherry picker/scaffold) and never allow yourself to get below it.

Take as long as you want, set a world record for longest time to cut a limb.

Hand saw, chain saw, pole saw, rope saw, see-saw, whatever.

Drill large holes in it and dynamite it. Let your wife push the plunger handle.

/ Need some Tree trimming advice #30  
That limb is hard to see with all the branches in its vicinity.
At 70+ your wife might care- even if you don't, if its the last thing you ever do.
Seriously, that is something to leave for a pro to do. Forget the advice of using a ladder or even scaffolding.
Unless you have the proper equipment to climb above the limb, tie in with a rope and harness, and manipulate a lowering line, don't try to do it yourself.
Don't hire bubba and John boy either. If they get hurt, and don't have any insurance, they'll sue your butt into oblivion.
I'm a former pro tree surgeon, and can tell you at 66, I hire out what I don't want to do or what I feel is too risky. I don't get off the ground by any means anymore, by choice, because I know what can and likely will go wrong, in an instant, and I like living without unnecessary risk of injury.

You'll be glad you spent the money, and will see what a pro does to make sure he does the job, quickly, easily and safely for all concerned.

There is no shame in hiring out things you're not equipped to do.:thumbsup:
Be smart, be safe, post pics of it being done.....