Tire Valve Stems?

/ Tire Valve Stems? #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I've been around tires my entire life... the last 5 years I have a couple of stems go bad each year and all on bought with new tires with new stems at different shops.

Last year I had two new premium tires put on my Utility trailer... got a flat yesterday and couldn't find a puncture... sure enough, the valve stem is split.

This year got a flat on a two year old tire on the BMW and it was also a bad valve stem... and a month later the another one let go on the same car... so I had the two remaining changed.

Going back about 5 years there are several more... always rubber stems a year or two old...

I was thinking of going to metal but those are not foolproof either.

Is this just the way it is today... $200 tires taken out by a $2 rubber stem?

/ Tire Valve Stems? #2  
Yeah, all 4 of the stems on my trailer went out about the same time about 5 or so years after I bought it.

When I have new tires put on my vehicles, I do not have the stems replaced if they have been holding up. I
look for bulges in the bases of them. New stems may actually create a problem.

/ Tire Valve Stems? #3  
I once got a flat because the end of the valve stem got pinched on the metal housing of a street drain.

Last edited:
   / Tire Valve Stems? #4  
I've run into the same problems you're having Ultrarunner, bugs the heck out of me when I go to use a trailer or implement and it has a flat, used to have the stems fail on my fifth wheel on a pretty constant basis.
Since then, whenever I have a flat because of the valve stem, I replace it with one of the metal bolt in stems. Unless I need a long stem, I make sure to use the short stem to keep down the possibility of scrubbing it against something.
It's been about four years since I started doing this and I've never had one of the bolt in stems fail on me in that period.

I've got an HF manual tire changer, so it's no big problem to break the bead on a tire, replace the stem, then I air it up and if it's on something that needs a balanced tire, I'll just take it into town and have someone balance it for me.

/ Tire Valve Stems? #5  
I've had Les Schwab tires do all my tire work for the last 37 years. Only valve stem related problems - the last four years of the twenty seven years I owned the Ford 1700 tractor. The calcium chloride solution finally started taking out the valve stem on each rear tire every year. Real PITA. Major reason the M6040 has RimGuard.

Otherwise - all my vehicles - except motorcycle - ride on Toyo tires from Les Schwab. No valve stem nor tire problems.

/ Tire Valve Stems? #7  
I have only had one issue with valve stems and that was when I replaced the tires (Sam's Club) on my truck. A few days after getting the new tires, I found one flat. Aired it up and found that the valve stem was leaking. Took it back to Sam's and the tech had to put in about 5 new stems before he got one that wouldn't leak. So far it is still holding. I have never had one fail from aging during the life of the tire.

Got one on the wife's 2003 SUV that is the original spare tire, so far no problems. Last time I needed anew tire, I bought a new one, put it on the spare tire rim and used the spare for the replacement. Got about 9K miles on it with no signs of any problems. I had been seeing lots of folks including my tire shop recommending that tires should be changed at 5 years so I decided to just run the spare (never been on the ground in its life) till it failed so as to get some use from it and to see if there was justification for the tire life span. So far I think it is about like the 3000 mile oil changes. My spare was always mounted under the vehicle away from sunlight and since it wasn't ever ran, it seemed to be just like new. Valve stem is still holding as expected also. It had leaked down to 25 PSI in the 15 years it had been under the car.

/ Tire Valve Stems? #8  
Made in China

/ Tire Valve Stems?
^^^My guess too...