Shortening folding ROPS on BX24

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #61  
The ROPS height is dictated by an international, not USA, standard and was really established by manufacturers being sued and having the negative publicity of machinery deaths.

"In the United States, standards for ROPS design and utilization for tractors were first developed in 1967 by the American Society for Agricultural and Biological Engineers. ROPS legislation was passed in 1975, with OSHA requiring that all tractors manufactured from 25 October 1976 onwards be equipped with ROPS. In 1985, the development of a new voluntary safety standard by the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (S318.10) encouraged an initiative by American tractor manufacturers to equip new tractors over 20 horsepower with ROPS."

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #62  
I had a lot of fun tonight.
About another 2.5 hours cutting sqaures and cleaning up metal to provide support.

I like it. 20181205_220952.jpeg20181205_221011.jpeg20181205_230525.jpeg20181205_230537.jpeg20181205_234921.jpeg

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #63  
It’s your tractor and as long as you don’t hire a person to drive it there is no problem. The ROPS height is dictated by an international, not USA, standard and was really established by manufacturers being sued and having the negative publicity of machinery deaths. Manufacturers place the decal as a CYA item. Height is dictated by the 90th percentile human bottom height and was established by testing with dummies and rolling machines down hills and examining the results. In my fatal accident investigations the first thing I checked for was ROPS label, modifications, and seat belt use, condition. But that only meant something if there is an accident. I’ve been asked by dealers getting a machine in on trade and finding an altered ROPS if the alteration was okay and always had to say no even if I felt there was no issue. The dealer could use their own judgement but the company’s liability is too high. If there is an accident the suer always goes for the deepest pockets and in every fatal accident there is a suit. You might say I’d never do that but you are dead and insurance companies, relatives you never knew of, they all come out of the woodwork.
Thanks for that info.

I'm curious. How do most rollover accidents happen?

Not just tipping over but all the way over where the top of the ROPS makes contact with the ground.

I'm sure you must see a lot where a seat belt and ROPS were not used. Have you ever seen ROPS fail when needed (and it was being used) ?

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #64  
Can anyone link a single case where someone has been killed in a rollover or even hurt where a shortened rollbar made the difference? If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard that BS I’d be rich. Option one is to leave the ROPS alone and the likely outcome is you won’t be bothered to fold it up for your brief across flat ground trip because you’re not going to flip over anyway. Option 2 is to shorten it 3 inches so you can drive in the garage and it will stay up all the time. IMO option 2 is way safer.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #65  
Can anyone link a single case where someone has been killed in a rollover or even hurt where a shortened rollbar made the difference? If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard that BS I’d be rich. Option one is to leave the ROPS alone and the likely outcome is you won’t be bothered to fold it up for your brief across flat ground trip because you’re not going to flip over anyway. Option 2 is to shorten it 3 inches so you can drive in the garage and it will stay up all the time. IMO option 2 is way safer.
That's my logic but I don't have the insight that some of these guys do.

I figure that I'm much better off having the ROPS up 100% of the time (even if it's modified) than be one of the guys who uses theirs 25% of the time because they think it's too much of a hassle.

I really see a ton of people using machinery with ROPS down or missing in my town.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #66  
That's my logic but I don't have the insight that some of these guys do.

I figure that I'm much better off having the ROPS up 100% of the time (even if it's modified) than be one of the guys who uses theirs 25% of the time because they think it's too much of a hassle.

I really see a ton of people using machinery with ROPS down or missing in my town.

I think this issue is blown way out of proportion. There’s WAY more hazards involved with a tractor than worrying about shorting a ROPS as long as the weld job is good and it wasn’t shortened a drastic amount in relation to the operators height. I’d be more worried about a tree randomly falling on my head, getting struck by lightning, the engine exploding and a piece of shrapnel hitting me in the head. Then we could look for actual hazards. People are incredibly poor at risk assessment.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #67  
If my BX23 rops was 1" shorter it would fit easily into the garage with rops up.

I know, from personal experience it will also fit as-is with rops up!

It was getting dark and starting to rain so I opened the door and drove in... just as the rops hit and the front end lifted did I realize my mistake...

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #68  
Nice job Underwhere... no criticism from me here. Someday I might shorten my ROPS a bit too, to get in my garage without lowering. I don't regularly park my BX there so it is not a priority but I have come to an unexpected halt a couple of times when I forgot. Seems I have learned my lesson so it is lower on my priority. :D

I think if I do shorten it, I would probably go with an internal sleeve design (for esthetic reasons) vs. external doublers (or diamonds in your case). But I have to say your doublers 'look' great and far more pleasing than scabbing on rectangular ones! :thumbsup:

Now for the purpose of a diamond shaped doubler vs rectangular... they are generally meant to gradually transfer the load/stress. This is very important in fatigue situations... not so important in a static or a one time loading situation. I could go on about structural design engineering but bla, bla, bla...

Thanks for posting your pics! Oh, and nice welding too. :thumbsup:

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24 #69  
The U.S. government is currently testing an auto deploying ROPS.

Look for this costly solution to possibly be mandated in the future due to, among other things, operators leaving their folding ROPS down during use.

/ Shortening folding ROPS on BX24
I started this thread and just now realized I never did a completion post. Sorry about that. I do not have a welder so I cut three inches(?) off the bottom and redrilled the holes. So you can get it shorter by either method; cut the top and reweld or cut off the bottom and redrill. I am glad I did and I don't think I have lowered it since I shortened it. And I do wear my seat belt at all times now.

Doug in SW IA