Magnesium repair

/ Magnesium repair #1  

BeezFun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I dropped my circular saw and broke the blade guard, which is magnesium. I'm pretty good at tig with steel and aluminum, but never welded magnesium. What filler would I use, any tips on settings? Hopefully I can use argon. I've done some brazing, would that be a better option? Here's some photos:
Shared album - Mark Leininger - Google Photos

/ Magnesium repair #4  
Magnesium can be TIG welded, it's all about procedure and proper filler materials... Might be just easier to order replacement part from manufacturer though...

Dale

/ Magnesium repair #5  
I tig welded a magnesium chainsaw case. Welded pretty good really.

But the rods are stupid level expensive.

I'd just buy a replacement for the saw.

/ Magnesium repair
Thanks for replies. The saw is no longer made or I'd order a part. I have right and left hand versions of this framing saw and it's kind of the 327 chevy of circular saws, it was really well made and balanced well. If I mess the guard up, I can still buy used ones on ebay, I'll probably buy one for the part.

/ Magnesium repair
But the rods are stupid level expensive.
Wow, you're not kidding. I looked up AZ101 filler, I can buy a used saw off ebay for less than the smallest quantity of filler anyone will sell me.

/ Magnesium repair #8  
I think I'd do a bit more "google-fu" to verify gas type, tungsten type, etc, then try a fusion weld - it's broke NOW, nuthin' to lose. I have the left-blade version of that saw, the newer "replacement" really ISN'T... Steve

/ Magnesium repair #9  
I've welded a lot of it, it is easier than aluminum. Different, but easier.

It won't burn, I've tried to get it to do that and unless the piece was really small it wouldn't. On top of that most mag parts are an alloy and they are even harder to get to burn. Only really ignorant people even make this claim in relation to welding.

Used to be a guy on ebay that would sell you a pack of five rods for a reasonable price, don't know if he still does that or not.

/ Magnesium repair #10  
Wow, you're not kidding. I looked up AZ101 filler, I can buy a used saw off ebay for less than the smallest quantity of filler anyone will sell me.
You may want to look up AZ61A to tig that part. ( if you'r sure it's Magnesium ) I used to sell the AZ61A and AZ92A but the 62 was much more popular and a bit higher strength. I would think you could talk a welding supply out of a stick if you have a relationship there. For your thin application you can just use pure argon. Good Luck !