Grading Gravel Road Maintenance

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #71  
I have read where lots of folks rip through the entire road to remove pot holes. Several times a year ripping and smoothing the road or drive. I thought pot holes are caused by standing water in low spots. It would appear that grading corrections are needed to reduce pot holes. I agree with the above poster that once you have a well shaped roadway the less you disturb it the better. Rolling packer and limited grade work is better than constant ripping and smoothing.

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #72  
I only rip out potholes that I cannot get rid of any other way. That's rare.

Repetition and proper drainage grade is best method to control potholes.

This year we have been plagued with several heavy, fast rains. A lot of road erosion. So for the last two months I've been trying to get on top of that. Requires moving more loose material than I like. So I have roadbeds that are rough from traffic packing that loose material unevenly. Now when I grade it's a very delicate touch. Don't move any more material than absolutely necessary. Trying to get everything smooth and stuck down before we freeze up for the Winter. Much, much easier to push snow off a smooth gravel road. Much, much less gravel loss as well.

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #73  
I only rip out potholes that I cannot get rid of any other way. That's rare.

Repetition and proper drainage grade is best method to control potholes.

This year we have been plagued with several heavy, fast rains. A lot of road erosion. So for the last two months I've been trying to get on top of that. Requires moving more loose material than I like. So I have roadbeds that are rough from traffic packing that loose material unevenly. Now when I grade it's a very delicate touch. Don't move any more material than absolutely necessary. Trying to get everything smooth and stuck down before we freeze up for the Winter. Much, much easier to push snow off a smooth gravel road. Much, much less gravel loss as well.

When I first purchased my property the driveway, 1/4 mile, was in a state of disrepair and all I had for a tool, besides myself, was the FEL on a smaller Tractor. It worked well enough, got the road so it was easily traversable and have maintained the road since that way filling as I went along. I purchased a Grader/Scraper (GS) over a year back, and didn't use it for what ever reason, but finally did, as stated in other postings, and I am a happy camper; and I think the road looks great, how do I slant the to one side. :duh:

The road turned out better than anything I thought I could ever do using the GS, but it is still need the finesse of experience and the finer points ! I leveled the road, had no way to compact it other than driven on it, rain came again, more trenching, not as bad but they is still there.
So I need to watch more videos, or watch someone else doing their road so I can get the idea planted in my head and hope that something grows.

Thanks for reading, Merry Christmas !

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #74  
How much crown do you have?

A flat road is doable, but requires a lot more maintenance. Almost every time it rains enough for runoff.

Hypothetically, if my driveway was 12ft wide, I'd want at least a 4" crown. Even then I'd hafta maintain the ridge just outside the tracks to prevent erosion down the track.

Steeper crown eliminates some of the maintenance. Down side is it's harder to stay on a steep crowned road if you get off the center.

Your GS is a very, very good tool for maintaining your type of driveway. Would it be possible to gain some crown by cranking the right side down so it cuts more and then always drive with the right side at the shoulder of the roadbed???

I'm not familiar with the use of a GS and have only operated one an hour or so.

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #75  
A nice crown has been, for me, the most important feature of our 1/8 mile driveway. No crown = puddling and washouts. Before I had a nice crown, it seemed I was always having to attend to the road. Now, not so much.

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #76  
I scarified potholes for many years and no doubt in my experience it made things worse in the long run. Disturb the least amount of already compacted material while improving proper grade is the way to go. The deeper you go the more work and money you may make for yourself in the long run if working by the hour.

I think we are saying same thing-note I said "rip up a few feet around hole". Keep in mind-the road is frozen and NOT bringing in fresh material. So you have to get material from some place. When I did this last week I had 4-6" chunks of surface material that broke up. making repeated passes with shanks down broke up to a degree but then put the heavy compactor on it (WackerNeuson-first rate $$$)and in a few passes it is all broken up) then put shanks back down for couple passes to "stir up" the fines, then grade and final compaction with plate.

And again, most important thing-maintain crown to get water off road as soon as possible. Speed? I've told guy who oversees for homeowners-he is one of 6-they rotate the "responsibility" every two years, put up speed limit signs -15 MPH. And also get off your asses and take your trash to dump -excuse me-transfer station, instead of paying guys to drive down with their tandem rear packers, but I get no where with that.

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #77  
How much crown do you have?

A flat road is doable, but requires a lot more maintenance. Almost every time it rains enough for runoff.

Hypothetically, if my driveway was 12ft wide, I'd want at least a 4" crown. Even then I'd hafta maintain the ridge just outside the tracks to prevent erosion down the track.

Steeper crown eliminates some of the maintenance. Down side is it's harder to stay on a steep crowned road if you get off the center.

Your GS is a very, very good tool for maintaining your type of driveway. Would it be possible to gain some crown by cranking the right side down so it cuts more and then always drive with the right side at the shoulder of the roadbed???

I'm not familiar with the use of a GS and have only operated one an hour or so.

The driveway has three distinct sections, the upper, the down hit mid section, and the lower muddy section.

The upper section I am trying to lower about 12 to 18 inches, this section has no crown but a very slight slant to the roadway towards the left.
The mid section is all down hill, usually it doesn't get as affected by the water run off. It is at more of a slant than the upper section but still has slight snaking effect of the water. No crown there just the slant in the road bed.
The lower section, the mud problem and with the way all of the upper land drains, I am thinking I need to address the water before determining how to grade the lower section. The lower section has not crown, it has a slant to the hog side of the land so drain off let the water go one way and then it drains to the lowest section and runs across the road.

When I first purchased the land and started by addressing the road, I dug up a cross section in the wettest p art of the lower section and put in some heavy gauge flexible sheet plastic I had hanging around, added some larger crushed stone, maybe 3"+, and then added some 3/4"+ on top. Let it stay that way and so far that is still intact but the area around it is still the mud hole.

Talking about this raised my awareness in two areas, one being the crowning and/or slanting of the roadway and the other is in my knowledge of the water in the area, I need to do what I canid crowning the top section, and the lower section but I think my main effort, after the rain stops, is to find a way to put in a better water drain no the side of the road. :banghead::punch:

Time to put the BHon and start moveing some dirt and adding some stone to the drainage system. :duh:

OK so I've had a revelation,:cool2: I need to build a drain on the side of the WHOLE driveway, (1/4+ mile of drain, 12" wide, min., and 12" deep, min., some larger stone 3 or 4 inches, some heavy weed block but maybe some sort of heavy gauge flexible plastic, and some time !

Another job to add to the list but I think this will get the job done.

Thanks / Later

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #78  
This is all you need. This is 8'. I add weights to the toothbar when needed. The key ingredient here are the gauge wheels and the floating upper link (Use a chain and keep it loose when grading the driveway. You make a 3 stage crown by swinging the rake 45 degrees with a slight angle on the hitch attachment. Then polish it off with a run down the center with 20191105_141816.jpg20191105_141805.jpgzero rake angle.

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #79  
This has been a very good thread you got started, Griesheimer. Lots of good information. Thought I would add my 2 cents. Gravel roads are not all the same. Just the difference in gravel can be astounding, not to mention other differences such as depth of gravel, type of subgrade, crown, dirt content, etc. The shape and size distribution of the gravel affects how well it compacts, how easily potholes and/or washboarding forms. I have taken care of the roads at two different locations, each with 3/4" minus. One has flat pieces of rock and it works so much better than the other where the pieces are rounder and less variable in size.

I find that the proper moisture content is extremely important for good grading. Grade when it is too wet will make it pretty but it won't last long. Too dry it becomes hard-packed and difficult to cut. There is a moisture balance point that happens maybe 30 days or so out of the year where I am at now where it is perfect, usually a couple days after a rain.

It was mentioned that repetition is the key. That is so true. I think that is because with either a land plane or a box blade, cutting too deep will result in gravel that is too soft and will go bad again more quickly. Multiple thin cuts leave the base compacted and the road holds up longer.

I find pick-up trucks on uphills are the worst for creating washboarding. With no weight in their bed, they loose traction easily. When the truck starts to looses traction, the rear tire winds up on the suspension and jumps, repeatedly grabbing and then loosing traction, resulting in the washboard to be made. Once the washboard gets started it makes the traction oscillation situation worse and the washboards grow in depth. The washboards in my area have longer spacing on the uphills than on the flats. It is weird how one flat section of road may be seemingly identical to another, but only one forms washboards. I think the total dynamics of washboarding, as well as potholes, is actually quite complex.

/ Gravel Road Maintenance #80  
In summarizing the above posts:

First off, no standing water, period! If you have pot holes with water, cut the side forcing the hole to drain and give it time to dry out.

Best to have some "Finds" (rock powder of varying sizes) in with your rocks and materials to be damp and select a non setting material.....recycled concrete roadway material is perfect. The damp Finds will pack nicely after you run your "Land Plane" through your deposited aggregate to the point that you are satisfied with the result.

Use the tractor tires to pack your smoothed out material (just raise you plane and drive up and down the driveway till you have covered the surface with tire marks). Once you have it all pressed down, come back for another lap with the plane and do it all over again.

If you can put a crown on the road you are better off as it allows the water to roll off rather than puddle and ditches along the side to keep the water from standing and seeping back into your road base. Last, schedule your heavy truck traffic for dry times of the year.

That's my 2c.