Traction Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #41  
I used to live in France, working for a large American company. Often had visitors, mostly other engineers, from America. Back then, 2000 - 2010, 2/3 of the cars in France were diesels. You wouldn’t believe how many of my friends put gas in their diesel rentals. After all, in America there is nothing like a rental diesel car. Some never realized what they had done. Some realized it afterward - told them to just keep topping off with diesel every day. Nobody ever had a problem. Nobody ever got a call from their rental company saying they ruined the engine and needed to pay up. All of these would have been newer common rail equipped engines which possibly are more tolerant of being misfueled because the electronics measuring combustion compensate. Older mechanical systems rely more on the fuel for lubricity. Japanese designed and built tend to be even more tolerant as in Japan the diesel has less lubricity.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #42  
Interesting real-world data-set Harry.

(OP - you may not have ghosted here long enough..... MHarry has forgotten more about diesels, than many of us know....)

Rgds, D.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #43  
If I were you I would pull this post down just in case you ever have a problem with your motor. If Kioti sees it you will lose your warranty on it for running it with gas in it.

Really? How? I can see it now (2 years from now):

OP: Hello Kioti, I'd like to get some warranty work done.
Kioti: Ok, what's your name?
OP: Rademamj1
Kioti: Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Rademamj1, we remember a thread on TBN from a couple years ago....

I doubt they could ever find out it was Marty xxxxxxxx's ;) post.
Oh dang, I think I just proved Jim's point.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine
The voiding of Kioti warranty was almost a non-issue when speaking to my Kioti dealer. He was most concerned how to recover from putting gas in the tractor....and had no knowledge about its impact on a diesel engine. My Kioti dealer has a very good sale's staff and is attentive about basic maintenance. But my dealer lacks a mechanic with a strong knowledge of diesel engine fuel systems.

So that's why I visited the local Kubota dealer, who has a diesel mechanic who services skid steers and tractors, and asked him about me accidentally putting gas in diesel tractor. His recommendations were detailed and accurate, ".....drain the fuel tank at hose going into fuel filter, replace the fuel filter and prime it with diesel, run 5 hours listening for unusual engine noise. Your probably good to go."

Warranty loss was never discussed or seemed any issue to anyone, just getting back to operations was most important. I was concerned about potential for long term issues. That's why I made these posts.

By the way, this was my first time posting in this forum. I want to sincerely thank everyone for the comments and advice and recommendations I recieved. It was rewarding to see all the vast experience in this group, help a total stranger with his tractor problem. Much appreciated.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #46  
Glad to hear that the tractor is fine, and that the Kioti dealer's priority was getting you going again.

Final update on my CK4010SEHC. My tractor went into a Tier4 emmission regen today, about 35 hours after me accidentally filling and running it on gas. Everything was normal during the regen, and also during the 35 hours use after purging the fuel system of all gas. My tractor is operating to perfection. So there does not appear to be any long term issues.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #48  
Final update on my CK4010SEHC. My tractor went into a Tier4 emmission regen today, about 35 hours after me accidentally filling and running it on gas. Everything was normal during the regen, and also during the 35 hours use after purging the fuel system of all gas. My tractor is operating to perfection. So there does not appear to be any long term issues.
That is a definite plus that no damage was done.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #49  
By the way, this was my first time posting in this forum. I want to sincerely thank everyone for the comments and advice and recommendations I recieved. It was rewarding to see all the vast experience in this group, help a total stranger with his tractor problem. Much appreciated.

I would like to see a poll put up that asks how many tractor owners have ever put gas in their diesel tank? I would be over 50%.

I did this a month previous. However I realized it before I started the tractor and drained it all out of the tank. I even use yellow cans for diesel and red for gas but STILL made the mistake.

/ Incredible - No damage resulting from putting gas into my Kioti Diesel Engine #50  
I know exactly what you mean dumb mistakes. My mistake came at the very end of the day, working seven hours with the tractor doing stump grinding and wood chipping. Temperature was 98F in Texas that day, and certainly contributed to my lack of focus. I have Gas clearly marked on my yellow cans and Diesel clearly marked on my red cans, and i still made this dumb mistake..... SNIP

Your post startled me because I do it the other way around, using yellow cans for diesel and red for gas. Is there a standard convention?
rScotty