logging winch danger

/ logging winch danger #1  

Hoobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5100 Ford 641
I know the topic of logging winch danger and safety has been extensively discussed in former threads. But this may be a new one.
I am 70 and have worked around tractors and the woodlot since I was about 10. I know things can happen fast and to always be thinking safety. I use a 52 hp Kubota with a Wallenstein fx 85 winch. Recently I had a mishap which really startled me. I twitched several tree length hardwood logs to the landing when one came flying up hitting the protective screen behind me and falling sideways.
Here is what happened. I always twitch with the pto off. When I get to the landing I switch on the pto, give the pull cord a jerk while still on the tractor to unlock the winch drum and drop the load, then pull ahead a few feet, dismount the tractor and disconnect the chokers chains. This time when I switched on the pto the winch came to life pulling one tree against the winch blade jill poking the butt and summersaulting the tree forward smashing into the cage behind me then falling to the side. This took a second or two and happened before I instinctively hit the tractor clutch. Very startling and confusing those two seconds! I shut down to assess what happened. Without the protective screen I would surely have been clobbered bad.
I always try to tie up the winch clutch pull cord safely out of the way. I guess this time I had not. Somehow the cord had become wrapped around the tractor axle and wound tight and engaged the winch clutch. So the moment I switched on the pto the winch came to life by itself. Looked like I had picked up some brush on the way to the landing tangling the dragging cord and somehow had pushed it forward probably grabbing the tire chain and wrapping the axle. But didn't break the cord so must have just happened as I was about to stop. This winch has a ball hitch mounted on it and I think this is what the tree caught on to jilpoke it so fast.
Needless to say I really make sure the cord is secure now. And I assess the winch before turning on the pto.
Anything can happen and given enough time it will.

/ logging winch danger #2  
Hoobie,, glad you are not hurt,,

just to clarify,, maybe you could rewrite the info without using words us non-loggers could understand, to make the safety easier to understand,,

Twitching?
Jill poking? (Hmmmmmmm,, I could guess on that one,,, LOL!!)

I surely would shorten that clutch pull cord,, and maybe even make it a break away,,,

/ logging winch danger #3  
I had something similar happen once with my old Fransgard after working in snow. The next day the winch clutch had frozen, so just as you experienced the load came in unexpectedly. I always release the clutch slowly though, so had it back in before anything untoward happened.

/ logging winch danger #4  
That's a good warning Hoobie. Glad you are OK - sounds like a close one. You are right there is no end to the things that can happen working in the woods.

I had a similar experience but different. The rope was a little stiff from some freezing rain the day before but not to stiff. I winched in a small hitch in the woods. Every thing seemed fine. When I got to the landing, like you, I lowered the winch, turned on the pto, and gave the rope a jerk. The load dropped like I expected it to. Since it was a small hitch I didn't pull forward, just bent over and unhooked the hitch right there. When the chokers were free the cable and chokers suddenly winched in and I got chain whipped across the cheek and my glasses flew off broken. What had happened was the clutch didn't quite release all the way because of the frozen rope so as I unhooked the hitch it was slipping. When the weight of the logs were off there was enough clutch pressure to pull in the empty cable which whipped upwards when the slidders hit the top pulley. I put a knot in my control rope right at the pulley so now I can see at a glance if the rope is all the way back to the release clutch position. I check it now before I turn on the pto and after I release the clutch rope to make sure the clutch is fully disengaged.

OakTSI (6).JPG

gg

/ logging winch danger #5  
I surely would shorten that clutch pull cord,, and maybe even make it a break away,,,
I sure don't want the cord on my winch shortened!! When used off the tractor, I want to be a ways to the side, when winching!

How about just being more careful in the first place, instead of "fixing" something that isn't broken!!!

SR

/ logging winch danger #6  

just to clarify,, maybe you could rewrite the info without using words us non-loggers could understand, to make the safety easier to understand,,

Twitching?

Apparently, terminology varies from region to region. Around here, a twitching means using the winch to pull logs to the tractor (so it would not be possible to "twitch with the PTO turned off" as Hoobie mentions). Using as a noun, a "twitch" of wood is whatever wood you have attached to your winch line for one pull into the tractor. Depending on your tractor's capabilities, you may pull in more than one twitch to make up a a full load for your tractor. Once you have as much as you can drag out, you turn off the winch and "skid" the logs out to the landing or wherever you need them.

i have never heard the term Jill poke

/ logging winch danger

Twitching?

I never thought but these may be local expressions.
Twitch means to pull in or drag logs with a horse, tractor or skidder.
Jill poke is when an object strikes a snag and jerks sideways or upends.
Upends means upends:laughing:
I leave the cord long so I can stand safely to the side when operating winch. Lot of stuff going on there

/ logging winch danger
That's a good warning Hoobie. Glad you are OK - sounds like a close one. You are right there is no end to the things that can happen working in the woods.

I had a similar experience but different. The rope was a little stiff from some freezing rain the day before but not to stiff. I winched in a small hitch in the woods. Every thing seemed fine. When I got to the landing, like you, I lowered the winch, turned on the pto, and gave the rope a jerk. The load dropped like I expected it to. Since it was a small hitch I didn't pull forward, just bent over and unhooked the hitch right there. When the chokers were free the cable and chokers suddenly winched in and I got chain whipped across the cheek and my glasses flew off broken. What had happened was the clutch didn't quite release all the way because of the frozen rope so as I unhooked the hitch it was slipping. When the weight of the logs were off there was enough clutch pressure to pull in the empty cable which whipped upwards when the slidders hit the top pulley. I put a knot in my control rope right at the pulley so now I can see at a glance if the rope is all the way back to the release clutch position. I check it now before I turn on the pto and after I release the clutch rope to make sure the clutch is fully disengaged.

View attachment 634214

gg

you know Gordon that is interesting.This is my second winch which I bought a year ago from the dealer. It was second hand....used one year and traded in. When I first used it there was a knot in the control cord. Real tight and still is there. Never thought much about it. But now that I checked it is right there by the little pulley when retracted. The former owner must have done the same as you.

Hoobie

/ logging winch danger
I sure don't want the cord on my winch shortened!! When used off the tractor, I want to be a ways to the side, when winching!

How about just being more careful in the first place, instead of "fixing" something that isn't broken!!!

SR

I agree. Stay off to the side

Hoobie

/ logging winch danger #10  
Hoobie - glad you are safe. I've never had nor used a logging winch. BUT - dragging a log, I've had it hit a rock and begin to lift. Fortunately, I saw/felt what was happening. Hit the clutch on the tractor and the log fell sideways. That was the very last time I ever drug a log. I got my grapple and that is how I handle logs now. I cut logs to specific lengths to not overload the grapple/FEL system.

But you are right. "Things" happen so very fast. Sometimes learning by experience can be quite dangerous.