Financing Horse farm tractor: Haying, snowblowing, loader work.

/ Horse farm tractor: Haying, snowblowing, loader work. #1  

Maineuropa

Tractor
Deere 955, Kubota GR 2110, Kubota 4200
Ok I am looking to replace my current 955 with a hydro 4WD compact tractor in the 40-50hp range. One salesman got all bogged down on ground clearance for haying and how I had to have a 5 series AG tractor..I think mostly because he wanted to sell that and he didn't think that anyone would want to square bale anymore. Yes if I were round baling and running right over the windrows I would want more ground clearance but I am square baling and not having a problem with clearance. Yes if my hay is really thick and I am tedding I can bind up some hay under the tractor, but it was only then/ very infrequently. I use a side sickle bar and a rake and a 273 New Holland so everything is to the side. I am only baling 1000 bales a year.
I also need to snow blow the property (being in Maine), grade/bucket the arena, move manure/stall piles, etc so I am looking to have a snowblower and loader. Any suggestions for me? I am looking to spend less than $30k. Lastly in looking around at tractors for sale: how does one buy a tractor 1000 miles away? Do you all go and see the tractor first? There are very few tractors in my vicinity in that hp range.

/ Horse farm tractor: Haying, snowblowing, loader work. #2  
Unless you are deadset on a hydro transmission, I would be looking at a utility tractor anyways for what you want to do, but that is your choice.

I'd see what was locally available first and see what price/model fit my needs before going any distance.

/ Horse farm tractor: Haying, snowblowing, loader work. #3  
I just sold a cabbed JD 4320 HST for 25k with 950 hours on it. I did all you are wanting to do with mine.

If you get into big round bales then a 5 family would be best, I found many times where I could use a bigger frame and heavier tractor.

Square baling for that 4320 would be nothing, you can square bale with 30hp tractor as you prob know.

As far as HP goes, the more HP you have the faster ground speed you will have with the tractors. On hills, running a 990 IH (9ft) Haybine, low range (3.5 mph) was about the best I could do, a bigger 70-100hp tractor could do the same work running 12-15mph.

I was running a 9ft Haybine, 9ft rake and 4x5 Vermeer bailer (manual tie, closed throat). My buddy has a 861 Powermaster (61hp), it ran all the same equipment as good or a little better than my JD.

4120-4720 or a newer 4066R etc tractor would do you just fine. Would be cheaper though to have a non loader, older higher HP tractor for hay, and keep a smaller loader tractor for loader work.

If you pay good money for a tractor, run the vin at the dealership, see or ask if there is a loan against the tractor or not and make sure the loan is paid off by previous owner.

You can buy the tractor, the other owner can stop paying on the tractor, the bank will flag the vin number and look for the tractor, if the tractor ever goes to a dealer, they will run the vin, notify the bank, the bank will take possession of the tractor and you are out whatever you paid into the tractor.

I was told down south it’s a big deal to reverse the hours, so you can look at a machine that says 800 hours but really has 3000 hours on it. You gotta pay close attention to tire wear, and other signs that suggest it’s a high hour machine.

Tractor Time with Tim bought a stolen tractor from a reputable auction house, stuff happens all the time.

/ Horse farm tractor: Haying, snowblowing, loader work.
Thanks Capt Broke...will be joining your ranks soon!! Found a 4120 with low(who knows!) hours. I want to know how anyone buys a tractor for over $30K that's more than 1500 miles away. Do you drive/fly out there, hope it passes inspection, then go back, collect your thoughts, then drive out with a trailer to pick it up? Seems like a scary way to buy an expensive piece of equipment! The problem around here ( NE) is that no one has any larger compacts for sale and they are all overpriced! I tried to talk to a local Deere dealer and all he could talk about was how I needed a 5 series AG tractor to have enough clearance. Well I am square baling with a side rake and sickle bar mower, so running over windrows is not an issue! Why do you have to argue with these guys! I ran 800 bales with my 955 compact last summer! I acknowledge I was underpowered, but I also have $ constraints AND other job requirements that call for a versatile tractor.

/ Horse farm tractor: Haying, snowblowing, loader work. #5  
23 years ago, I was considering the purchase of a compact tractor for my 30 acres and 3 horses as you are currently. I was moving from a sub-division where a riding mower was huge. More experienced folks at work told me the $ difference between a compact and utility tractor was insignificant. And the capability of the larger frame would better serve my present and future needs. They were right. I bought a Deere 5200 with loader. It's 45 Hp the same as a large compact. The larger frame handles a 1200 pound, 6 foot bush-hog. Sure there are lighter cutters, but heavy duty also means heavy iron. I also heat with wood. I handle firewood in a 4x4x4 metal basket with forks on the loader. Filled with split oak, it's a load at the limit. Recently, (7 years ago) I started square baling with a NH 310. There's more than enough Hp for the baler, but I pull a wagon behind the baler. The large frame and tires allows this. Loaded, there's easily 10,000 pounds behind the tractor. This year, I'm going to use a bale grapple for the square bales. I wouldn't attempt any of this with a 4 series tractor.

Your salesman may have fixated on ground clearance of a larger frame. He didn't do enough to educate on capability. I can say it's frame size and tire size that determine the work capability. Horsepower is merely how quickly it gets done. My advice is to buy right the first time.

/ Horse farm tractor: Haying, snowblowing, loader work. #6  
Thanks Capt Broke...will be joining your ranks soon!! Found a 4120 with low(who knows!) hours. I want to know how anyone buys a tractor for over $30K that's more than 1500 miles away. Do you drive/fly out there, hope it passes inspection, then go back, collect your thoughts, then drive out with a trailer to pick it up? Seems like a scary way to buy an expensive piece of equipment! The problem around here ( NE) is that no one has any larger compacts for sale and they are all overpriced! I tried to talk to a local Deere dealer and all he could talk about was how I needed a 5 series AG tractor to have enough clearance. Well I am square baling with a side rake and sickle bar mower, so running over windrows is not an issue! Why do you have to argue with these guys! I ran 800 bales with my 955 compact last summer! I acknowledge I was underpowered, but I also have $ constraints AND other job requirements that call for a versatile tractor.

I was in a similar situation as you. Looking for a large compact (45+ hp) in good shape and in my price range ($15-20k). I am in PA. Mostly, all I found were nearly new for nearly new prices or ~3000 hours and beat. I was ready to buy new. Then, I found a 2000 JD 4700, 400x loader w/ bucket and forks, Curtis hard cab with heater, with 608 hrs. (!) about 7.5 hours away in Illinois. I contacted the dealer (it was at a New Holland dealer), got more detailed photos, info. Verified serial number with a JD dealer. I made an offer about 10% less than their asking price which they accepted. I said I reserve the right to offer a lesser amount upon personal inspection if I find issues not disclosed. I made a 10% deposit and said I wanted it back if upon personal inspection I decide not to purchase. They agreed to these terms as well. I’m driving out there this weekend to hopefully bring it home...

Thank you for those observations. I have another Deere dealer with a 4720, I have not been able to pin down any attachments included. That seems like a fair amount of heavier iron.

Thank you. I agree. I really want to try these tractors out, but have had little success there so far! I like the hydro only because most of the time I am turning the stall muck manure compost pile, so a lot of backing and filling is involved. Simple push pedals appeal to me for that! I typically am reworking about 20 yards at a time. I run the NH 273 square baler at varying speeds depending upon the size of the windrow, so I am happy with all variable hydro speeds.

TLJ87: Good luck! Are you driving out there with a trailer and hoping it will all work out? Or having it shipped to Pa if it checks out? I was also posting somewhere my friustration with finding anything in my local area, and wondering how anyone could buy some tractor 1800 miles away with any assurance.

/ Horse farm tractor: Haying, snowblowing, loader work. #10  
I hear what you are saying about tractor prices in New England. I looked for over a year for a reasonably priced used tractor. Everything near me was new or 20 years old. I finally bought a tractor sight unseen in PA. It was 5 years old and had 175 hours and was $10K with loader. I drove 5 hours with a trailer to inspect it, and brought my brother in law who could check it out mechanically. Everything panned out and I drove home with a new to me tractor and it has been 100% reliable and does everything I hoped for, plus more!

I would strongly recommend a tractor with a HST transmission. Loader work and snowblowing are perfect for HST tractors.