10K dump trailer build

/ 10K dump trailer build
From somebody who's done it. (No offense if this is old news to you) Make sure that when you flip it that it's secured to the tractor bucket or forks in such a way that it can't come undone, even if you slack off on it. When you get it up on it's side it's easy to get slack in a chain and have it come loose if it's just hooked up like you normally would. A webbing or cable choker works well (obviously making sure it's not rubbing on any sharp edges). Having it crash down in an uncontrolled manner isn't good. :thumbdown:

Point taken thank you

/ 10K dump trailer build #12  
Yeah you definitely exceeded the Duty Cycle of your Welder. No big deal. That's why it has the cutoff.

/ 10K dump trailer build
It has just never happened before so it kind of bummed me out. I want a new bigger more powerful welder anyway but not at the moment.
I am finishing up a job today so I should be able to get back to the build in a couple of days.
The next project on deck is 20' car/tractor trailer.

/ 10K dump trailer build
Well the axles are ordered and will be here in two weeks :)
I picked up a #3500 drop leg jack, safety chains, weld on light boxes, a roll of brake wire, some weld on holders for the safety chains the break away set and a plug with waterproof junction box. Depending on how bad the weather is tomorrow I may drag it out and flip it over.
I did a few test passes with the new to me stick welder, smooooth :) I haven't run a stick since I got my MIG!

/ 10K dump trailer build #15  
Have you considered running conduit (EMT) for the wiring? It does add a little cost but it makes repairs easy and rarely needed.

/ 10K dump trailer build
Have you considered running conduit (EMT) for the wiring? It does add a little cost but it makes repairs easy and rarely needed.

We were just talking about this, I plan on using plastic conduit.

/ 10K dump trailer build #18  
   / 10K dump trailer build #19  
Cool project. REALLY good call on buying the axles instead of using the mobile home ones!

And IMO given your choice of two welders I would definitely stick weld it.

/ 10K dump trailer build #20  
What’s your thoughts for using plastic, any trailers I’ve had seen or worked with that have conduit for the wires were all metal? I’d go with HREW or even black pipe for no more then you need.

Last edited: