Value of a 12k trailer?

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #21  
As far as selling, it's a nice in between size. The 7K GVWR trailers (tow 3.5K axles, usually only one has brakes) go for $2,500 and up, around here, in similar condition. Yours is a nice size at 12K and brakes on both axles is a nice feature, required for commercial use and for all trailers, in some States. The only things that hurt it are the tires and the short length. Really, it would be good for pulling with a half-ton (not to full GVWR) and would satisfy a lot of commercial needs. I doubt you will have a hard time selling it. I wouldn't take less than $3,000 and you might get closer to $4,000. My guess is you list it for $4,000 and it sells +/-$200 from $3,500.

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #22  
The 12K isn't the load rating, it's the total weight of all cargo AND the trailer itself. Yes, a 14K GVWR trailer might have a payload capacity around 12K (usually a bit less).

In the pics he posted, it isn't de-rated, it's got tandem 6K axles on a 12K GVWR trailer, not the 7K axles he initially posted. Every flatbed equipment trailer you buy, today, will have a GVWR the sum of the axles combined, or more (to allow for some tongue weight), unless it has been de-rated. A 12K GVWR on a trailer with 14K of axles would be de-rated, usually so people can pull them commercially with 14K trucks and stay under 26K, which is where CDL is required. Some people order de-rated trucks, to accomplish the same thing with trailers they already have or want to keep the full rating on.

I didn’t look at the chart I was basing that on the first post. It’s definitely not de rated and just a 12k vs the more standard 14k. I don’t know how much it’s worth. Personally I wouldn’t want it because it’s a tad too light for my machine but there’s plenty of guys that wouldn’t care so I’m thinking that’s not a big draw back. I think my original 4K isn’t way off although I’d probably be closer to the 3k mark on what I would pay.

/ Value of a 12k trailer?
Your inputs, are highly valued! Thank you very much! I learned more about trailers, especially the tires.

I’ll list it at $3,700. Sounds good?

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #24  
$3,700 sounds like a great start point, if you like that number. Let us know how it goes.

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #25  
I would say $3700 is to high but you can always come down. It looks to be in good shape.

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #26  
I'm not really sure on the value but if the owner thinks a 12klb trailers curb weight is 2,200lbs and has been loading it as such I would expect there is prob not much life left in it. My 18' 7klb open deck car trailer weighs about 2200 lbs.

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #27  
12k isn稚 really de rated. It痴 a pretty realistic load for 14k trailer.

That is exactly how I treat the rating/load situation.
I have a 14K rated trailer that I will only load for 12K max.

A 2200 lb. curb weight trailer that is rated for 12K seems as though it would be very under built.
My empty 14K trailer weighs 3,500 lbs.

Last edited:
   / Value of a 12k trailer? #28  
Two things hold true about selling stuff:
1) you won't get it if you don't ask for it
2) you never can tell what someone will pay for something if it seems like what they want

I think it would normally sell for $2,500 based n the pictures and what has been said about it but I don't think the OP ever said who made it or what it would cost new. Some people will pay new prices for old but not most people.

TBS

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #29  
Trailer prices are extremely regional and seasonal also. Put it for sale. It's worth what someone will pay.

/ Value of a 12k trailer? #30  
I'm not really sure on the value but if the owner thinks a 12klb trailers curb weight is 2,200lbs and has been loading it as such I would expect there is prob not much life left in it. My 18' 7klb open deck car trailer weighs about 2200 lbs.

Not really an accurate statement.

The trailer actually weighs ~2310# Based on the 12k GVWR and the loading sticker listing max load of 9690#. BUT.....I question if this is actually built as an "equipment" trailer or built as a "car trailer"......difference being that car trailers have the cross members every 24" and equipment trailers every 16"

As to the value of that trailer. As others have pointed out...its a regional thing. I got a trailer dealer 10 minutes from my house I can drive to right now and buy a 12k 16' trailer for $3500 bran new.....with a 10% cash discount if I so choose. And FWIW, that new trailer is listed at 2700#

So that said...here in ohio...there is no way I would pay $3700 for a used trailer.

$2000 would be a lot closer to what it would bring here