Truck as cordless tool charging platform

/ Truck as cordless tool charging platform #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
With everyone using cordless tools these days, and who can blame us theyre awesome, I had a charging question.
My new RAM comes with 2 AC outlets, both labeled 400 watts and the typical flip cap 12V accessory lighter style plug.
So my question is which outlet is capable of heavier draw? Im using the 60V MAX batteries and couldnt be happier, just dont know if Im ruining something by using the DEWalt AC charger or the DeWalt DC charger because the AC or DC outlet is being asked to do too much? Pardon my lack of knowledge, but doesn’t too low of a current ruin electrical devices, too?

On edit: found specs on DC charger. It draws 140-240 watts, but don’t know specs on 12V accessory outlet in truck.
The fan cooled AC charger has 3 AMP input (360 watts) so 400 AMP AC outlet is good to go :thumbsup: I kind of like that charger better, but wouldn’t mind knowing if DC charger has adequate input.

Last edited:
   / Truck as cordless tool charging platform #2  
Is there an amp or watt spec on the 12 volt port? You’d have to have 33 amps to equal 400 watts which I doubt it does.

/ Truck as cordless tool charging platform
Is there an amp or watt spec on the 12 volt port? You’d have to have 33 amps to equal 400 watts which I doubt it does.

Bahhh, 33 amps is like 35,000 watts. :laughing:

/ Truck as cordless tool charging platform #4  
396 watts 396000 milliwatts........

/ Truck as cordless tool charging platform #5  
Bahhh, 33 amps is like 35,000 watts. :laughing:

At about 1061 volts it would be. Definitely not at 12 volts. Can you find the fuse for the 12 volt port? Most of them are on a separate circuit.

/ Truck as cordless tool charging platform #6  
I would use the ac outlet ...

/ Truck as cordless tool charging platform #7  
My 2018 Ram Power Wagon has a 12V outlet. Owners manual says - 12V, 160W, 13A. There is an inverter for the 115V system. The 115V system is - 115V, 150W, 1.3A.

I use the 115V system to charge my cell phone. Beyond that - I would throw my 3000W Honda generator in the back for heavier charging.

My 2018 Ram Power Wagon has a 12V outlet. Owners manual says - 12V, 160W, 13A. There is an inverter for the 115V system. The 115V system is - 115V, 150W, 1.3A.

Thanks oosik.
My AC plug caps both say “ 400 watts “ on them.
So far so good on using the AC, Peter315. Cords don’t get warm.

/ Truck as cordless tool charging platform #9  
Manual for truck should state what size fuse (and fuse location) for 12 volt accessory ports....

To convert volts to amps to watt ... Get Ohms law calculator on i-net...

Ohms Law Calculator

A 400 watt output ac inverter would draw about 34 amps (at 12v Dc ) in input if you run at the max...

Watts to Amps (A) conversion calculator

You may be better off with DC (vehicle) power charger as it will probably avoid the step up and then step down process in converting from 12 volt dc to 120 ac then back down to 20 volts dc to charge battery, if you are considering a lot of portable operation.... If home based and wall plug use most of the time, then maybe vehicle inverter to 120vac may be way to go with wall plug charger...

I have alway though 400 watts on AC side was a bit wimpy, but if you look at DC side it's a lot of drain on battery system... If you are going to be using a lot of battery charging off vehicle, besure to watch battery voltage/capacity... You can possible drain a weak battery and then be "stuck".......

If heavy duty charging (construction environment) you may want to consider separate battery for charging only so you don't compromise main battery if you want to go home at night....

Remember if storage battery is not charged, it has a finite life (capacity)...

Dale

IIRC, maybe 10 years ago Dodge used to offer a DeWalt charging system built into the truck??? Thought it was kinda cool, but the way things are outdated so quickly, I kind of prefer the flexibility of an “ AC “ outlet. In 2 years these batteries will probably be 100 volts.....