Tough decisions in the compact utility size

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #11  
My old Kubota L2900 was a shuttle shift. My Deere 4720 has a three range HST, the only time I put it in high range is driving to our mailbox at the end of the street. I absolutely love having a hydro transmission, it's faster and easier to use for mowing and loader work.

Like others mentioned, forget the backhoe. Rent a mini-ex if you need to dig, it's what they do best. My Kubota was a simple and reliable 30hp tractor but it had a very lousy seat. My Deere is a first class machine and I have two good dealers within 30 miles, the Kubota dealer is so-so. You can't go wrong picking a Deere or Kubota - they will be around for the long haul.

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #12  
I must admit, I have a 3-range tractor and 99% of the working time is in the low or mid range. Hardly ever use the 3rd range. I have a single range Kubota lawn tractor, a GR2120 and it climbs hills better than my zero turn.

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #13  
Four 28,300 you can get a kioti dk 4710 hst cab 45 hp I’m not sure why you would not look at that model

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #14  
I only use the third range when traveling on the road between my house and shop. Never when working the tractor. Having said that, my tractor top speed is advertised as 14 some mph. At that speed, I can barely keep it going straight when I hit dips and potholes on the county road.

Forget the backhoe. I went as far as getting quotes on one, but decided to buy a mini ex. If it’s out of your budget, just rent one when needed.

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #15  
I just bought my first tractor, a 3025e. I was concerned about only having two ranges but after a few hours I cannot see a need for a third range.

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #16  
This is a great point. I guess my only real tasks in mind for the backhoe are stump removal and french drains. But maybe it makes sense to queue up a lot of stumps and have some real machinery do the job. And maybe the same for the drains. Are there some bucket or hitch attachments that help with this? I see a spade for the loader but that is probably slow. Maybe some sort of plow for the hitch?

From the list of things you say you want to do with your new compact tractor, it sounds to me like you might be doing a lot of backhoe work much like we do. A backhoe is a dandy landscaping tool even when you aren't digging. In fact, you might be looking for a TLB instead of a tractor with a backhoe. Here's a primer on TLBs vs Tractors with FELs & Backhoes for the next time you talk with a salesman at the dealership.

A compact TLB is very similar to a compact farm tractor, but it is more oriented to rural construction and landscaping instead of being agriculatural oriented.

Oh, back to the backhoe... not everyone wants one but for us it is important to have the backhoe handy all the time, because we use it more than any other implement on our property, but to our surprise it does very little digging. It is mostly used for picking heavy things up and placing them somewhere. Sort of a mobile crane instead of using our aging bodies... Stacking logs, placing machinery, or rocks, doing landscaping, building rock walls... yes, digging ditches too, but more often just planting a tree or lifting something heavy like a machine tool aor a tree to be planted into or out of the barn or pickup truck. With the thumb on the backhoe odd shapes can be grasped.

Compact tractors and compact TLBs look very similar, and both can do the same job. But they do those jobs a little differently.
For instance, the compact tractor has lighter weight because in mowing and some farming it is important that they don't sink into soft soil.
The compact TLB is more likely to be digging and carrying heavier loads on rough ground, so it is both heavier and more strongly built.

On a TLB, the backhoe is rigidly mounted and mounted to the back. It quick-disconnects and an optional 3pt hitch is mounted when you want to run other implements.

On a tractor, the 3pt hitch is the normal thing mounted to the back and implements are mounted to that. A backhoe is one of those implements that can be mounted either to the 3pt hitch or preferably to a special subframe that remains on the tractor.

Unfortunately Kubota is the only company making a compact TLBs right now. But they do make a very good one. The comparable model to the Kubota L2501 with a backhoe that you looked at would be the Kubota B26 which comes with a backhoe and is also 25hp and has a 3 speed HST. Look around on TBN to see how people like them.

Both tractors and TLBs are 4wd, have the same engine, similar transmissions, both have PTOs, and roughly equal front end loaders. If you look closely at how they are built - again compare Kubota's L2501 to their B26 - you will notice that a TLB frame and attachments have a construction heritage rather than agricultural heritage.
The extra beef in the TLB comes at a price; TLBs are more expensive than tractors - although by the time you add a backhoe to a tractor they are pretty close in price.

Both will do a lot of the same jobs; the difference is in the type of job they were designed to do most of the time.
rScotty

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #17  
This is a great point. I guess my only real tasks in mind for the backhoe are stump removal and french drains. But maybe it makes sense to queue up a lot of stumps and have some real machinery do the job. And maybe the same for the drains. Are there some bucket or hitch attachments that help with this? I see a spade for the loader but that is probably slow. Maybe some sort of plow for the hitch?

I passed on the backhoe attachment for my tractor too. Multiple people on this, and many other forums, agree that its not the best tool for stump removal. It worked out a lot cheaper and easier for me to line up several digging/stump removal projects, then knock them out quickly with a rented excavator. A decent sized excavator will work circles around a compact tractor backhoe removing stumps! If I had much digging to do on a regular basis, I'd probably opt for a regular full size backhoe in my case. Excavators are great, but out of my price range generally, and I'm not set up to haul anything that big anyway. But that $8000 for a backhoe to fit on my Kioti would go a long ways towards the purchase of a used full size backhoe that would dig circles around a "mini" hoe on a compact tractor. Also consider if you're likely to want to use the back end of the tractor for any other implements; because from what I've witnessed, it can be a royal PITA to get the backhoe back onto the tractor. Most people with hoes on their tractors leave them on for good reason.....

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #18  
Hey Greg, I would have difficulty timing rentals as well. Only you could say whether or not a backhoe is worth pursuing. How far away is the nearest machine rental shop? How are their prices, what equipment available e.g. mini ex, etc? rScotty has persuasive take on TLBs and their value, at least to me with the chores I need/want to do.

Besides the french drain and stumps, can you see other specific applications where a backhoe might help save your back? My wife is a good little trooper, but her days of playing day laborer in my harebrained projects are over. A backhoe with a thumb sounds like a very strong third hand to me (and a godsend to my wife lol).

Jeremy

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #19  
I don't use my backhoe to dig stumps. I do use it to dig water lines, ditches, repair/replace culverts, and other back saving projects. I don't want to wait for a rental. When I have the time, I want it now. I can put the backhoe on or take it off in less than 10 minutes now. I have a dozer to dig stumps.

/ Tough decisions in the compact utility size #20  
The downside to renting a mini-ex if you have never operated one before is the learning curve. It took me about 20 hours of seat time in my E42 before I was relatively productive. Even so, if you accumulate several digging projects rent a hoe for two, three weeks or a month. Some use a long term rental or lease equipment.