Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want.

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #1  

tallyho8

Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
My father was born in 1893 and was a disabled veteran of World War I. He was exceptionally brilliant and worked his way through Tulane University. Besides teaching himself how to speak several different languages and even sing opera in foreign languages on the radio he was constantly inventing things in the hopes of being a millionaire someday. He invented several different things in the automotive field while employed by a company that took the credits and made the profits before he learned to work alone.

He specialized in electronics and could build or repair anything electronic and worked as a radio repairman during the depression when a radio was a person's most valuable possession. He married my mother, an Ozark mountain farm girl during this time. He was 52 when I was born so I never had as much chance to interact with him as most kids do with their father but there was genuine love between us always.

In the 50s when Television was in it's infancy he invented a way to broadcast with single side bands or no side bands at all. Since TVs at that time could only use 6 channels such as channel 2, 4 6, 8, 10 and 12 due to interference from closer channels it was a way that TVs or radios could broadcast on hundreds of channels as they do now. The question, how to sell this invention that the general public would love to have with many more channels to watch or hear? Try as he could, no one would listen. The big 3, NBC, CBS and ABC did not want more channels and others competing against them and tried their best to belittle his invention and prevent others from learning about it. He spent years trying to push his invention, which he had several patents on, to no avail.

After my mother died of a heart attack, my father lost the will to live and died shortly after. Then when his patent expired CB radios were at their prime with overloaded channels and needed to expand so they used his invention to broadcast with single side bands to increase their channels from 23 channels up to 40 channels. Of course we could not profit from his invention since the patent was expired.

Finally broadcasting companies started to look into his invention to start new networks when digital broadcasting came along. This new invention made his invention totally worthless although it would have been worth a fortune if broadcasting companies had looked into it 30 years earlier.

I never had any dreams of making a fortune off my fathers inventions but was finally satisfied when CBs began using his invention proving that he was right all these years. I learned how to repair anything mechanical over the years but never had the inclination to learn electronics and was totally amazed when my son got into electronics and learned how to do everything with electronics and computers. When he invented using LED lights on motor vehicles, all I could think of was "Like Grandfather, Like Grandson".

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #2  
Interesting... except your Father did invent something that 'people' did want... just at the wrong time.

There are many historic instances where this has happened.

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #3  
Thanks so much for sharing that, it's great that your son inherited your father's aptitude for electronics. Was your son able to profit from his automotive LED invention?

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #4  
Actually, going from 23 to 40 channels on CB had nothing to do with sideband. HAMS used side band for years as did other services. 23 channel Single Sideband Rigs were available, I'm guessing already in the early CB days. It would be like having two extra channels on each channel, plus it affords more range.

Funny, some people can sell useless stuff to the masses (how about pet rocks) and others can't sell something valuable to save their life.

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #5  
Great story. Unfortunately having the ability to invent and make stuff does not mean you have the ability to market and sell it. Or that the market will accept it.

I've also run into the problem of entrenched players in the market not wanting the product I'd designed. I didn't invent that concept but was the lead engineer doing the overall design. Only after it was done did we understand the politics of that market enough to realize that the big players didn't want it to succeed.

That's why I tell people I work for that I can make the thing work, but they need to validate the thing with the market before I make it work. But when they do it's never more than half hearted at best.

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #6  
Very interesting life history of your father. I enjoyed reading it and admire that while most people will never know his name, he changed the world and how we all live today.

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want.
Thanks so much for sharing that, it's great that your son inherited your father's aptitude for electronics. Was your son able to profit from his automotive LED invention?

No, unfortunately he was working for Confederate Motorcycles at the time as their electrical engineer and the system he designed made Confederate Motorcycles the first motor vehicle ever to use LED lights and the company got all the fame and glory.

Thomas Edison was a great inventor with many of his own inventions but he also established a lab where he hired many people to work on developing projects which he took the credit for and got the patents in his name. This is how it always works out when you are working for someone else.

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #8  
Thomas Edison was a CREEP and for one took great advantage of TESLA.

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #9  
Thomas Edison was a great inventor with many of his own inventions but he also established a lab where he hired many people to work on developing projects which he took the credit for and got the patents in his name. This is how it always works out when you are working for someone else.

The patent office no longer lets employers claim to be the inventor. Having inventors on the patent who did not contribute to the invention is the first thing a patent attorney looks for when trying to invalidate a patent. All of mine have me listed as an inventor. But they are owned by someone else. Either the company I was working for at the time or a company who bought it from them. In patent lingo it's "assigned" to them. The assignee owns the rights to the patent, but they're not the inventor.

The usual employment contract I work under says that the stuff I come up with while working on company projects belongs to them. Usually there is a patent bonus program so the employees who come up with a patentable idea and go through the extra work of the patent get something extra for it. Considering how hard it is to actually make a product or even to license a patent as an individual, and how few ideas are successful, a guaranteed small bonus for a patent is probably better than keeping the rights.

/ Inventors, do not waste your time inventing things people don't want. #10  
Uh, was your father John Renshaw Carson?

Single-sideband modulation - Wikipedia says John Renshaw Carson was born 1886 and the first to patent SSB in 1915.

If you have ever used SSB it is a miserable minimalist mode. Everything sounds like Donald Duck and the slightest error in frequency makes it worse because SSB lacks a means of self-centering.

Quite often the situation with fundamental inventions such as SSB the concept can not be put into use fast enough to be useful. The patent serves as documentation which prevents anyone else from patenting it 20 years (formerly 17) in the future.

SSB took a long time to catch on because it is difficult to build mixers to transmit and demodulate. And as I said above, it is not pleasant to listen to.