Will this tractor move building?

/ Will this tractor move building? #31  
Completely empty the building. Jack up and use telephone poles as rollers.

Looking at size and construction maybe best to leave as is.

Last edited:
   / Will this tractor move building? #34  
On my log cabin. Remove the skirting and pull the two big timbers( pine trees ) completely under the cabin. Bring the two logs together and chain together on the pulling side. This formed a long A-frame under the cabin. Lift the chained logs with the 3-point and begin to pull. The friction presented by the weight of the cabin on the logs and thereby transferred to the ground was too great for the tractor to pull. It simply dug four holes.

It was all, most likely, just as well. It would have been a quarter mile "drag" over some pretty rough ground. Likely it would have disintegrated the log cabin. Besides, taking it apart - log by log - allowed us to clean tens of years of nasty rodent accumulations. We re-oiled the logs after they were cleaned and prior to reassembly.

Even though the cabin was completely empty - it was a whole lot heavier than I thought.

/ Will this tractor move building? #35  
When I moved mine I hooked chains from the ends of the bucket to the skides to act as a spreader bar, lifted the building slightly and pulled it backwards to to its new location.

/ Will this tractor move building? #36  
I don't think you acknowledged the best advice you received which is to put round logs under those skids so that they roll as the building is pulled. You should be able to pick up a few 16 ft or 18 ft logs. I use treated fence posts because I have them. Someone also mentioned a spreader bar - you will need that too so that the chains aren't trying to pull the skids together towards each other.

/ Will this tractor move building? #37  
Might want to look into de construction of St Lawrence Seaway. Whole towns of buildings got moved.
Seems like you want to look into 4 over 3 concept too.

Question ain't can it be done, de question is how it can be done widout collapsing a structure not built to be moved.

/ Will this tractor move building? #38  
Might want to look into de construction of St Lawrence Seaway. Whole towns of buildings got moved.
Seems like you want to look into 4 over 3 concept too.

Question ain't can it be done, de question is how it can be done widout collapsing a structure not built to be moved.

I think those buildings are delivered on a trailer. So it should be built to move.

It should be easy to move with the right equipment if it’s still in the condition it was when delivered. The question is if he can do it with his tractor.

Good point about moving buildings and towns. After the 1900 Hurricane in Galveston Texas many buildings left were moved or raised in place. Most were raised over 16 feet higher.

/ Will this tractor move building? #39  
Friend moved a 20 ft loaded shipping container with a 60 hp tractor so I think it can be done.
Lift if possible one corner at a time and slip in some HD planks to slide it on and push.
Wet and oiled planks will work best.

/ Will this tractor move building? #40  
Rollers are a beautiful thing when moving heavy stuff, especially when trying to turn. I've moved shacks and equipment using all diameters from water pipe to rounded wood fence posts. I 've watched buildings being moved and lifted including my own. One problem I have personally encountered on do it your self projects you try and really go cheap on the prep or process. Pros don't go cheap and use the right stuff for the job. Rollers and spreader bars and jacks. Once you get the initial inertia overcome, how smooth is the ground and how tight are the quarters? You've got all winter to think abouti if you don't go ahead on 'er. now