17.5" Wheels

/ 17.5" Wheels
Here's the latest as of today (Monday Nov 16, 2020).

I have the wheel rim info that says flanged nuts are required and cone nuts are the wrong ones from the spec sheet - post #6

I have an email from PJ Trailers saying that flange nuts are to be used on this style of wheel rim.

I have an email from Dexter axle saying that the 17.5" rim has to be the cone type to the 9/16" studs and the flat faced one is only to be used with 5/8" studs and flat faced lug nuts.

I have a 2nd email from PJ Trailers saying that the rim the dealer installed is the wrong one.

Looks pretty clear to me what the solution needs to be. I've sent these emails to the saleslady at the dealer along with the chart from rickson. She is going to talk to the manager to see what they're going to do.

I'll update this as things develop.

/ 17.5" Wheels #12  
Sounds like some good answers, now if the dealer will get on board with the two factories.

/ 17.5" Wheels
And the saga continues:

I received a call from the saleslady's manager and he explained that the reason they use cone nuts is because the rim hole is 5/8 and the stud is 9/16 so the cone nut is used to take up the slack. He also implied that the person I got the info from at PJ trailers was just trying to sell me more stuff. It all sounds plausible so far.

Then I received an email from PJ trailers saying that the lug nuts needed to be the swivel washer flange nuts and provided a link to them. However, the link says it's for 8k axles with 9/16 studs. I have a 7k axle and I wonder if it makes a difference. I do not see any hub centric drums for a 7k axle, only one idler hub.

I've received many comments from people ranging from auto mechanics to machinists for NASA. They all say not to use the combination the dealer provided.

Today I pulled a wheel just to see if I could change it on the side of the road. What I found was that after the lug nuts were loosened and away from the rim, they still needed a wrench to remove them. They should be able to be turned by hand at this point. I found metal shavings that had been pushed into the hub and the threads on both the stud and nut on all 8 were damaged. The nut could not be threaded back on. So now I have a trailer with 3 wheels and the 4th is in the barn until we get this next part resolved.

P.S. I'm submitting a warranty claim to PJ Trailers, we'll see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 119
   / 17.5" Wheels #14  
Wonder if the studs could be pressed out, bored and 5/8" studs pressed in.

/ 17.5" Wheels
The hubs do not appear to be set up for a 4.75" pilot in the rim, so that's the reason for the cone lug nuts. It if was, then the 5/8" studs would be the solution, if I could get someone to do it. I talked to a machinist that probably could, but he won't touch the wheels - probably due to liability.

/ 17.5" Wheels #16  
The hubs do not appear to be set up for a 4.75" pilot in the rim, so that's the reason for the cone lug nuts.

You are correct. If the machined surface on the hub is not the same size as the ID of the wheel it is not hub centric. The only fix is stud centric wheels (tapered stud holes and tapered nuts), nothing else will work. No clamp ring or flat faced nuts at all. The fix is all new studs, nuts and wheels. PJ is not going to want to fix the dealers mess, since they did the conversion, not PJ. They will probably tell you to take it back to the selling dealer. My guess is, if you do take it back (and you need to) they will want to re-install the 16's. Hopefully, fix the studs and nuts and give your money back. They will not want to buy new wheels on their dime.

Man I feel your pain, what a mess. Stand your ground, the 17.5 upgrade is worth it.

/ 17.5" Wheels #17  
Hopefully PJ and the selling dealer will take of this for you

/ 17.5" Wheels #18  
I was at the LT dealer and asked him about putting 17.5 rims in place of the 16'' rims on 7k Dexter Axles and was told wont fit, I found this rim 19.5 that will fit...8-Lug Rancher - 19.5x6.75 - Boar Wheel

/ 17.5" Wheels #19  
   / 17.5" Wheels #20  
Step one:

Take the trailer back to your dealer and drop it off.

Step two:

Get your money back.

Step three:

Drive somewhere else and buy a trailer.

Step four:

Enjoy a harmonious life.