Battery Longevity

/ Battery Longevity #151  
Okay that makes sense but the reduced amps does not make sense to me. If one cell is shorted then I would expect that the other 5 would still put out their amperage. So I would think a 600 CCA battery with one shorted cell would then put out 500 CCA. Assuming that a shorted cell is just that, a short circuit.

The charging current is higher to force the good cells to a voltage greater than they should be. The good cells get damaged then have less energy, lower total voltage due to the shorted cell not contributing.

Items such as incandescent headlights and electric motors tend to draw greater current when voltage is low.

/ Battery Longevity #153  
Any multi cell battery can show full charge when measured with a VOM but fail to provide current to support a load such as engine starting or even a horn honk. This is usually due to a damaged buss bar (the bar of metal inside the battery that connects each cell in series) inside the battery. Vibration and physical shock can damage the buss bar leaving a closed circuit but unable to carry high current. Typical VOMs have high impedance and offer very little load during measuring. Also, most battery chargers will charge a battery with a damaged buss to full voltage. A battery with a damaged buss bar is not repairable and a doorstop. Get a new one.

Also, never hammer battery cable connectors onto a battery post. Use a connector that fit the battery post properly.

/ Battery Longevity #154  
Anyone use permanently mounted battery maintainers instead of ones you clip on with alligator clips? I see them in low capacity smart chargers and wonder if that would be easier, just unplug and go for vehicles and tractors tat sit for a while. Like a block heater.
41C15B48-9F5C-40F2-96AB-68D2FD7ABF94.jpeg

/ Battery Longevity #156  
Taper terminal batterys + terminal is larger diameter.

Anderson plugs are your friend. Cheap in right place, and minimal corrosion issues to deal with hooking up charger or jump starting.

/ Battery Longevity #157  
Anyone use permanently mounted battery maintainers instead of ones you clip on with alligator clips? I see them in low capacity smart chargers and wonder if that would be easier, just unplug and go for vehicles and tractors tat sit for a while. Like a block heater.
View attachment 680110

I installed one on a Model A under the drivers seat and bored a hole in the base for the male electrical connection. Been there for over 10 years now and works perfectly. Did the same on a few boats as well and seriously thinking about doing it to the tractor but I haven't had a single issue on my 2013 with the battery and I'm going to replace that this weekend as 7 years is long enough on the original battery.

/ Battery Longevity #158  
I installed one on a Model A under the drivers seat and bored a hole in the base for the male electrical connection. Been there for over 10 years now and works perfectly. Did the same on a few boats as well and seriously thinking about doing it to the tractor but I haven't had a single issue on my 2013 with the battery and I'm going to replace that this weekend as 7 years is long enough on the original battery.

Boats here, don't do well with ANY electrical stuff permanently installed.
Salt water is he11 on EVERYTHING electrical!

/ Battery Longevity #159  
Everything that has a maintainer attached also has a pigtail. Better way than clips IMHO.

/ Battery Longevity #160  
I use pigtails on most batteries. I do have a marine grade on-board charger permanently mounted in the battery box of my dump trailer, with a through-hull type plug. That is handy to use with an extension cord.