Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb?

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #11  
thanks. can you recommend an after market thumb or company I can contact.

Doing a quick google search yielded a number of thumbs out there and you would need to find one the right size. You could maybe even have one custom made for not too much I would think. They are not very complicated. You do need to change the pivot pin of the bucket to a longer one to accommodate the thumb hinge point. And I would stay away from the clamp on type of thumbs since they can sometimes create damage.

I would not go too much smaller than a 12 inch bucket. Depending on soil type you may find that a smaller bucket just gets plugged up and then you have to use a spade to clear out the bucket every time. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I hope this helps!!

Here is a link you can check out.

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #12  
You have provided lots of great info here. I have been wanting the BX for several years for cleaning out some ditches, miscellaneous small space jobs. I do not have the BX yet but have purchased it. I've had the MF for about a year and half and have been very happy up until had some kind of filter issue that was covered 100% warranty. It was away (waiting for parts) for 5.5 months. the snowblower was major but also, moving dirt rocks etc. Its a little big and heavy to get into the area where I want to clean ditches. the area is next to a pond very rocky with lots of dead cottonwood trees. The BX seems like it will be easier for smaller jobs but mostly the small backhoe...ditches, planting trees, digging holes etc.

I have 17 acres, 8 of those hay field which I get someone else to put up. I thought the BX was a good option for small house jobs and also desirable enough that I could sell if didnt work. I have been looking for a grapple for the MF and havent pulled the trigger. the grapple for the BX was just a thought...an since I havent received it yet, im exploring options.

The MF was my first tractor and im an old dog learning new tricks so not very aggressive in my projects.

Anything you can add please let me know. I appreciate experience of others. any recommendations on implements as well.
Good clarification -- understand the desire for the BX with the backhoe and it will be a great tool for you I expect. I would still think you are better off with the grapple on the MF1740 rather than the BX. Better capacity, not having to do relatively rare and somewhat expensive things to the BX, etc. By the way, I have found that a grapple need not be all that wide. One much narrower than your wheel spacing tends to be more maneuverable and does every bit as much work. There are a lot of good grapples on the market. Do you have the SSA interface on your MF1740 loader? Not sure about your part of Wyo but I was able to find a source for a good grapple in driving distance from me here in the East where I could just pick it up in my pickup truck, avoid shipping, get a good price, etc.

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #13  
Rake on loader, or long reach rear rake for cleaning ditches.

and

Bruce

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #14  
The

SGC05 48 inch grapple is made for and works perfect on bx tractors. I have had one on my bx2360 for two years and works awesome. The third function valve is an easy install to do it yourself with a bit of mechanical knowledge​

Seach youtube for bx with grapple

Last edited:
   / Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #15  
Rake on loader, or long reach rear rake for cleaning ditches.

and

Bruce

That's a pretty good sized tractor operating on flat land.

Rather than straddle his ditch, the OP might consider renting an excavator that could be run parallel with the ditch and not have to try to straddle anything.

Last edited:
   / Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #16  
The

SGC05 48 inch grapple is made for and works perfect on bx tractors. I have had one on my bx2360 for two years and works awesome. The third function valve is an easy install to do it yourself with a bit of mechanical knowledge​

Seach youtube for bx with grapple
Generally a helpful and interesting Youtube video. The one mistake in it is that the speaker is NOT knowledgeable about metals and equipment. He refers to "snapping off" the tines multiple times. No such thing is possible. All such implements are made from mild steel and NOT from material that would ever 'snap.' Bend YES, snap, NO.

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #17  
It is made of AR400 Not mild steel.

ar400 will resist bending to the point that no shops local to me will do it. its also brittle and would likley break

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #18  
Look at mytractortools.com for a small grapple for your BX. Contact info for Jery Dunn is on the website. His website is outdated. He would rather work up items instead of a better website. I have his Tach-N-Go along with the old style fixed forks on my BX2230. They work great. He knows the limits of the SCUT loaders and builds items accordingly. He shows a few different arrangements for grapples. Others on TBN have his stuff also. Jon

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #19  
Look at mytractortools.com for a small grapple for your BX. Contact info for Jery Dunn is on the website. His website is outdated. He would rather work up items instead of a better website. I have his Tach-N-Go along with the old style fixed forks on my BX2230. They work great. He knows the limits of the SCUT loaders and builds items accordingly. He shows a few different arrangements for grapples. Others on TBN have his stuff also. Jon
Checked out his site, yes it’s a bit lacking….but the grapple looks great. Doe anyone have one?

/ Grapples for Bx23s, or thumb? #20  
Checked out his site, yes it’s a bit lacking….but the grapple looks great. Doe anyone have one?
You want to call Jery Dunn (site owner) and ask him for references. I think he does well via word of mouth. Jon