Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor?

/ Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #102  
That surprising.... I had a '99 F250 crew cab, 7.3 powerstroke, long bed with a utility cap on it. 6 speed manual. It got a consistent 28 mpg on the highway --- checked manually every time I fueled it up.
I think you dropped this
download.jpg

/ Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #103  
I think you dropped thisView attachment 773025
Naw. Take the truck towing its fuel mileage. Multiply by 2 for 2 vehicles. Multiply by the price of fuel and take the average mph of the truck / the sin of the angle at which it was traveling most to the rotation of the earth. Then write that number backwards.

/ Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #104  
Naw. Take the truck towing its fuel mileage. Multiply by 2 for 2 vehicles. Multiply by the price of fuel and take the average mph of the truck / the sin of the angle at which it was traveling most to the rotation of the earth. Then write that number backwards.
Push the thing a few feet while it leaks a few drops of fuel might just multiply out to 28mpg???

Last edited:
   / Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #105  
That surprising.... I had a '99 F250 crew cab, 7.3 powerstroke, long bed with a utility cap on it. 6 speed manual. It got a consistent 28 mpg on the highway --- checked manually every time I fueled it up.
That’s surprising to me. I had a ‘99 Dodge with 5.9 Cummins and it averaged 20 mpg, sometimes doing as well as 22, and sometimes about 18. That motor was known for being more fuel efficient than the Powerstroke at the time.

/ Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #106  
I think something that gets lost in discussions about specs is that I think many (most?) of us realize they are bits of data. Measuring at the pins gives a consistent point for comparison, but obviously does not mean you lift that much weight in practice. Using the pins just makes it easier to avoid another level of deception as some will otherwise use 16" in front or 24", or whatever. Realistically, whether that means you can effectively use 80% or 50% of that capacity depends on what you are doing. In one application for me, I will be in my shop lifting a pallet for storage. Much different than traversing my property with an unbalanced load of timber or brush.

Regardless of the adjustments needed for real-world application, the tractor that can lift 2200 at the pins will more capably and safely lift 1000 in daily use than one that can only lift 1600 at the pins. The specific numbers are less important than the relative ones. It serves no useful purpose to poo poo the data of the more capable machine because the max possible is outside of the range people typically work, the advantage is more about having a larger window of safe operating than the less capable machine. There are plenty of valid reasons to prefer Kubota over Branson, that does not mean there are not equally valid reasons to prefer Branson over Kubota. YMMV.
Does anyone know if there are requirements for standardized testing of tractor capabilities? Or does every manufacturer just publish their own specs? I know there are the Nebraska tests for horsepower, but I think those focus on Ag machines. I’m just not sold on the idea that very similar machines would have such different specs. Compact tractor design is very similar across colors.

/ Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #107  
Does anyone know if there are requirements for standardized testing of tractor capabilities? Or does every manufacturer just publish their own specs? I know there are the Nebraska tests for horsepower, but I think those focus on Ag machines. I’m just not sold on the idea that very similar machines would have such different specs. Compact tractor design is very similar across colors.
I've looked closely at them. While they may look similar from a distance, the Branson ones are just beefier. Another important aspect in lifting is a combination of the angles for leverage and the size of the cylinders. Kubota focused more on the smooth action of the hydraulics. Branson focused on leverage and weight. I would guess the Kubota could beat the Branson in a race, just based on thrust to weight ratios.

/ Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #108  
I've looked closely at them. While they may look similar from a distance, the Branson ones are just beefier. Another important aspect in lifting is a combination of the angles for leverage and the size of the cylinders. Kubota focused more on the smooth action of the hydraulics. Branson focused on leverage and weight. I would guess the Kubota could beat the Branson in a race, just based on thrust to weight ratios.
I like all of the current Japanese and Korean brands today, and Branson has a lot of nice features. I just have no dealer service anywhere near where I live. We have the big 3: Deere, Kubota, NH. There are Mahindra and Kioti dealers within reasonable distance but it is a stretch to call their facilities full service operations.

/ Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #109  
That’s surprising to me. I had a ‘99 Dodge with 5.9 Cummins and it averaged 20 mpg, sometimes doing as well as 22, and sometimes about 18. That motor was known for being more fuel efficient than the Powerstroke at the time.

We bought one of the first of the new generation 7.3 powerstoke F250s in 1995. Standard shift, 4x4, extended cab and topper. It got about 12 mpg in town and 15 on the road. Towed well. At 50,000 engine repairs had almost equaled the purchase price. At 100,000 mechanical repairs had exceeded the purchase price. Perfect condition.
Later bought a new 2002 PS F250 same except automatic. Same mpg but only normal repairs. No problems. Nicer truck.

Yes, at the time we were aware that the Dodge Cummns diesel was a more fuel efficent truck. That was common knowledge just like the problems with both makes was also common knowledge. Every mechanic knew all that; it's part of the trade.
rScotty

/ Is the Kubota L2501 the largest 25 hp, non regen tractor? #110  

There are no standardized requirements. Every manufacturer can publish anything that they want, and claim whatever they feel they can get away with. It's advertising over engineering.

In my opinion you are exactly right that similar machines probably actually should and do have similar mechanical specs.
The difference in makes would then be in the quality of components, service, and the optional configurations - like transmission type, turbo or not, type of emissions. ....and so on....

The Nebraska tests focused on HP, but measured many other things including fuel consumption.

rScotty