Question for those who live in California

/ Question for those who live in California #272  
Please explain.
I am going to guess TBS has a problem with citing dailykos as a source. If so, I have the same issue. I don't typically read *anything* posted there based on past experience. In my opinion, not a credible source.

But, I made an exception and read the piece. So, let's unpack this:

Here is the story headline. Sounds like an amazing achievement for solar power, yes?

The 6th largest economy in the world is hitting 100% solar periods on a daily basis

But then, right below the headline, "Daily Kos" staff wash their hands of any responsibility for the piece. Using this:

"(This content is not subject to review by Daily Kos staff prior to publication.)"

Great-- this means they took a piece from a biased, self-serving energy focused publication, and presented it with no investigation or verification of accuracy. I tried some short research on the publisher "Electrek" but even their website does not have anything like "About Us" on it. At least I did not find it.

Then, when you delve into the wonderful story about solar, with the impressive implication about solar power, you learn the massive achievement was primarily due to hydroelectric power production-- which has existed for 100+ years. So--- what is new? Just some bait-and-switch promoting solar based on century old hydro production.

Finally, I am not alone in my view of the misleading nature of the headline. The most popular reader comment was:

We have to temper our enthusiasm a tad given that the above average precipitation during the last two winters has boosted hydro production.

Gosh, no kidding. This year's snowpack is above average, and last year was a monstrous year for snowpack. When snow melts, it fills reservoirs, which then spins turbines to produce power.

I like getting good information-- even from sources I don't agree with. But ... I don't consider dailykos a reliable provider of information. Apologies to TBS if that was not the intent of the post.

Final comment: I believe solar power is wonderful and great. I'm considering adding an array at my property. So I have nothing but good thoughts about the technology-- just want information to be presented accurately.

/ Question for those who live in California #273  
The news isn't all bad. Here's an example of California leading the nation in a good direction.

It says renewables have become the least-cost method to increase available electricity.

And yet, California has the most expensive electricity in the US. :rolleyes:

/ Question for those who live in California #274  
And yet, California has the most expensive electricity in the US.
Peak rate I pay here in CA is .60 cents per kW.

It's .12 cents in Nevada.

There was recently a "huge" energy price increase in NV-- 20%. It went from .10 cents to .12 cents. o_O

/ Question for those who live in California #275  
I just checked to make sure and I want to be accurate. California doesn't have the highest rates in the US. Hawaii and Rhode Island are higher, CA is only the third highest of the 50 states. Aren't you Californians lucky.

/ Question for those who live in California #276  
Last edited:
   / Question for those who live in California #278  
I am going to guess TBS has a problem with citing dailykos as a source. If so, I have the same issue. I don't typically read *anything* posted there based on past experience. In my opinion, not a credible source..
But then, right below the headline, "Daily Kos" staff wash their hands of any responsibility for the piece.

"(This content is not subject to review by Daily Kos staff prior to publication.)"

Great-- this means they took a piece from a biased, self-serving energy focused publication, and presented it with no investigation or verification of accuracy. I tried some short research on the publisher "Electrek" but even their website does not have anything like "About Us" on it. At least I did not find it.
I think you're missing the point that Kos is like here. The editors didn't 'select' this article from somewhere. Rather, people are free to create and post their own opinion. This doesn't mean it represents the editorial opinion of the publication's owner.

It's up to you, and that commenter you cited, to decide if the article improves your understanding of some issue. It's a place for discussion, the articles (most) not written by the staff are nothing more than the opinion of an individual.

Another aspect of articles posted on Kos is in many cases, the comments responding to the article are more knowledgeable than the initial article. Kinda like the threads here. And they have to be read before you have the whole picture. It's not rare for commenters to pile on and declare the original article is nonsense. Like occasionally happens here. (The Kos comments are generally favorable in this instance).

Here's another article on the subject I saw previously. Like this article, I have no idea of its credibility. But the subject in general, that renewables and now batteries, offer a lower cost of adding generating capacity, seems to me to be a subject that I thought others might find interesting.

California doesn't have any more sites suitable for hydro so the subject of where to find added capacity is a current issue. I hope the quoted Stanford professor is correct that this is presently the best path forward.

Sorry if this concerned you.

/ Question for those who live in California #279  
Like this article, I have no idea of its credibility.
This is my core issue.

There is so much unvouched for information, repeated comments, reposted comments, etc. that it becomes a waste of my time to read and then play Sherlock Holmes to identify fact version fiction. One of my college professors famously said: "Any crackpot with a keyboard can post on the internet."

I prefer sites with journalistic standards that do not allow reposting of content they disavow.

/ Question for those who live in California #280  
I think you're missing the point that Kos is like here. The editors didn't 'select' this article from somewhere. Rather, people are free to create and post their own opinion. This doesn't mean it represents the editorial opinion of the publication's owner.

It's up to you, and that commenter you cited, to decide if the article improves your understanding of some issue. It's a place for discussion, the articles (most) not written by the staff are nothing more than the opinion of an individual.

Another aspect of articles posted on Kos is in many cases, the comments responding to the article are more knowledgeable than the initial article. Kinda like the threads here. And they have to be read before you have the whole picture. It's not rare for commenters to pile on and declare the original article is nonsense. Like occasionally happens here. (The Kos comments are generally favorable in this instance).

Here's another article on the subject I saw previously. Like this article, I have no idea of its credibility. But the subject in general, that renewables and now batteries, offer a lower cost of adding generating capacity, seems to me to be a subject that I thought others might find interesting.

California doesn't have any more sites suitable for hydro so the subject of where to find added capacity is a current issue. I hope the quoted Stanford professor is correct that this is presently the best path forward.

Sorry if this concerned you.

The primary statement in that article is purposely misleading wording, to give an impression that’s not what really happened. The article’s subsequent data even contradicts it.
1713405050515.png