What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss?

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #81  
Yeiks… i just had my 1000 gal tank filled last week. $1.68 per gal. Whys it so high up your way.

on mine, i wont run it during nighttime sleep time or during the day during long outage. But i personally dont care what it costs….im lazy and like my comforts.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #82  
Would diesel be any cheaper for you instead of propane.
I always have 200 gals on hand for the farm so I would use that if I have too.
Plus diesel would be easier to find and bring home in a tank in the back of a truck.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #83  
Most of Texas is not tied to a national grid.
That's a political decision.
linky
If it gets that bad the last thing a propane delivery driver is going to give a crap about is delivering you propane. They are going to be at home with their families trying to sort their own problems out.
And probably with a propane truck or two, full.
richest 5%
Which in the US
Top 5% wealth: The next tier, the top 5%, has a net worth of around $1.03 million.
and
In the United States, the concept of being rich is often a subject of discussion, curiosity and, sometimes, aspiration. Charles Schwab's 2023 Modern Wealth Survey provides insights into this topic, revealing that the average American equates being wealthy with a net worth of approximately $2.2 million.
So being rich is relative.

As I've written before her my Grandfather was a Mormon and big on stocking up a years supply of everything. So I try to stay stocked up.

Being prepared for a long term ANYTHING outage depends on what ANYTHING is.
MY last experience with a relatively long term ELECTRICAL outage was in northern Virginia (Alexandria) where some sections lost power for a few weeks after a storm. Basically we just hunkered down. But it wasn't widespread like the Texas ice storm problem. Plus the area is populated by a LOT of military and prior military so there was stability.

For the last 12 years I've been trying to retire to northeast Mississippi. Here a power outage of a few days is rare, but it happens. And it seems people just start to "hunker down".

In both areas I've seen that most of the top 5% have stocked foods, pharma, generators. In Mississippi there seems to be many who still like to maintain a basement of home canned goods. Also in both areas presence of a LOT of prior military provides stability. And in both areas one of the most needed resources - WATER - comes from the sky, with average rainfall of 4' or more a sheet of plastic can gather a lot of water.

I'm more concerned with cult followers and uprisings for cult beliefs.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #84  
It's nice to have a hands-off system in place that automatically provides power when it goes out, along with an automatic weekly test to ensure the generator is running correctly.
That's how mine came programmed, which I quickly changed.

In my mind it's engine cruelty to cold start one that often, and then not run it long enough for the oil to warm up.

Now it starts once a month and runs for about 25 minutes. And I might change that to every three months, or more. After all, if pickups, tractors, backhoes, and other stuff can sit for six months or more without needless cold starts, why couldn't a generator?

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #85  
If power goes you will not be getting any propane delivered. Gas pumps that run the truck are electric. If power goes out for over a month it will be very messy.
Hence the idea I stated in in the beginning of a very large tank that was constantly topped off.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #86  
Nothing, 62 years old, lived in Minnesota all my life and I think I’ve only gone a couple days without power.

We own a food truck so we have 3 huge freezers with about 400 lbs of brisket 500 lbs of pork butt’s and 60 racks of ribs and on racks in the garage is about 450 16.9 oz bottles of water and 500 cans of pop
Damn I love good Brisket. I know where I’m goin. I’ll bring the beer.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #87  
And why I pointed out that I'd have to bring a generator to the propane yard to power their supply tank's pump.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #89  
Throughout history, many wars were fought because people thought the supreme being warranted it. If SHTF there won't be just two sides, there will be TOO many sides and most people won't really know which side they are really on. As someone said....it will be bad. I know many good people and I would like to work WITH them through hardships.
I know which side I will be on.
God‘s side.

/ What do you all do to be prepared for long term power loss? #90  
That's how mine came programmed, which I quickly changed.

In my mind it's engine cruelty to cold start one that often, and then not run it long enough for the oil to warm up.

Now it starts once a month and runs for about 25 minutes. And I might change that to every three months, or more. After all, if pickups, tractors, backhoes, and other stuff can sit for six months or more without needless cold starts, why couldn't a generator?

a generator is an emergency backup device. Weekly runs keep all parts lubed up, but more importantly makes sure it runs. I like heating mine fire up weekly. I have units with 1000’s of hours on them fire up weekly and no issues. Then again, ive seen units with 20 hrs with a blown engine. Who can say why it blew….but its nice to fix it in calm summer and not during a windy, raining power outage.