Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?)

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?) #1  

Bl8tant

Bronze Member
Tractor
Satoh S-650G
I have an opportunity to buy a 1992 Gravely 14-G pro riding mower from a friend. It has a 14hp Kohler Command engine. It does NOT have the hydraulic lift for the mower deck (manual lift). It started smoking, so he asked me to rebuild the motor. While I was working on it, he decided he wanted a ZTR mower and asked if I would like to buy the tractor. It's in good condition and has a fresh rebuilt motor ($600 total for the rebuild). Everything seems to be fine except it does need minor transmission work (that I can do - dealer wanted $300 so I figure I can fix it for $150). The transmission only works in 2nd and 4th gear (if you put it in 1st or 3rd it gets "stuck" and is a real bear to get out).

So my question is.....what is a fair price for the tractor given that is has a $600 rebuilt motor and needs another $150 in repairs?

I want to be fair to him and me, but neither of us has a clue what it may be worth.

Thanks for any opinions.

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?) #2  
Well, I'll admit to not having any experience with these so I probably shouldn't even comment, but looking on ebay right now there is an 8179 w/ 17HP Kohler, 60-in deck and individual rear brakes, and hydraulic lift that looks to be in pretty good condition. It has a little more than one day left on the bidding and is only at $870. I think if you're looking for a "project" and you want to do the guy a favor, pay him for what he has in the motor. But not if it were me. I think it would be one of those situations where he would be offended by my low offer, basically just taking it off his hands. So I'd pass. But that's just me, and I know there's alot of Gravely fans who would disagree.

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?) #3  
I have a 16-G. I had an 8163 before that. There are not many better lawn tractors made for mowing steep hills. With the heavy cast iron transmission case and the motor under the seat the low center of gravity makes them almost "hill proof". Too bad they don't make them anymore.

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?)
Whistlepig - Did you buy the 16-G new? If you don't mind me asking....what did you pay and when did you purchase?

These things are more like baby tractors than a lawn mower. I like everything about it.

The guy I'm wanting to buy from is going to a ZTR mower. He mows a lot of steep ground and I warned him that he may not be happy with a ZTR. I love the idea of a ZTR but always wondered about their performance on steep ground. Consumer Reports latest issue warns about using ZTRs on slopes.

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?)
He's asking $2000. Includes mowing deck and snow plow. Even with the new motor, That seems a little high to me. He said he paid about $5500 for it new.
It is in really good shape, and he's the original owner, but I'm still not sure about $2000. If it had Hydraulic lift, I'd be more convinced.

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?) #6  
He's asking $2000. Includes mowing deck and snow plow. Even with the new motor, That seems a little high to me. He said he paid about $5500 for it new.
It is in really good shape, and he's the original owner, but I'm still not sure about $2000. If it had Hydraulic lift, I'd be more convinced.

You're the guy closest to the machine. If your gut feel says pass, then pass. He's not doing you any favors by asking 2K for a machine that still needs extensive work.

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?) #7  
You're the guy closest to the machine. If your gut feel says pass, then pass. He's not doing you any favors by asking 2K for a machine that still needs extensive work.

Amen!

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?) #8  
My 1998 Gravely 16-G Professional with 16hp Kohler, 50" belly mower, wheel wts, rollbar and 4' blade was $8904 on October 23, 1998 to the original owner. I have the receipt.

/ Gravely 14-G Professional Rider (Price?) #9  
I wouldn't pay $2000 with a rebuild and no hydraulics. He probably did pay $5500 new for a 14-G. Sounds about right. I would offer him $1000 if it's running and be willing to walk away if he won't take it.