Ariens GT-18

/ Ariens GT-18 #1  

sawz all

My neighbor just gave me an ariens gt-18 yard tractor w/ a 18 hp koler eng. It was given to him a couple of years ago and has been sitting outside in the weather since. It looks to be in real nice shape though, it was parked out of the sun under a tree.

He don't know much about it other then he drove it to it's resting spot and mowed the lawn once with it (it was given to him also). It looks like an older model yard tractor. It has round head lights.

I was wondering if this was a good tractor in it's day? What problems it had? Any info on it would be helpful. Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited:
   / Ariens GT-18
No bites...ea'

Kevin

/ Ariens GT-18 #3  
If it's what I'm thinking of, it is a garden tractor from the same era as the Deere 318 and comparable in features. A photo sure would be of help.

/ Ariens GT-18 #4  
It is a super-stong garden tractor that should still have years of service left in it. I once owned one, had to sell it when I moved and have been kicking myself ever since! They are smooth to operate, the mower deck is as good as anyone's plus they take a wide variety of other attachments often seen on eBay and Craig's list too.

Kohler M-18 was a beast, great torque but thirsty for fuel. You will want to know that it runs good as they are very expensive to overhaul nowdays. Not a bad swap to install a new Kohler Command v-twin instead, quieter, uses way less gas and a less costly replacement should you ever need it.

/ Ariens GT-18
Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a picture t of it to post bontai_Joe, but I'll get one in the next few weeks.

Just so people know, it's still over my neighbors out in their back yard.

I know a little more about it now though. I went over to see if I could get it going yesterday morning after working all night :eek:.

The hour meter says 480 hours. All four tires are flat and the rt frt is off the rim. The mower deck and everything is set real good in the dirt. The mower engage switch is frozen solid (I think that might be a problem area as to why I couldn't get it to turn over :confused:). Maybe the ignition switch??? Remember, all this stuff has been out in the weather for a few years now....

I brought a good battery with me and tried to get it to turn over and no dice. I by-passed the safety switch under the seat and made sure the one by the shifter lever was made...still no dice.
The amp meter never regestered although I could hear some sound like a relay or solenoid every time I turned the key (it wasn't the starter). I didn't mess with it much more and went back home to get some sleep.

What would be the best way to bypass all the electrical crap just to see if she turns???

Kevin

/ Ariens GT-18 #6  
To spin it over you should locate the solenoid, hook your jumper (+)to the terminal or cable that runs to the starter then touch the (-) to ground and it should spin over. To check spark then remove the harness from the key switch and you should have spark. The Magnum has an early electronic ignition system, this system is a "ground to kill" ignition so with the harness off the switch it'll show spark provided the cranking speed is adequate.
An alternate method is to locate the white wire (ground to kill wire) and remove from the engine harness plug using a small screwdriver to depress the terminal's tab.

/ Ariens GT-18
I haven't messed with this tractor all summer. BUT, I did go back over yesterday and found that mice had made a nest under the shroud above the starter and must have pulled three pounds of dirt in with them :mad:. You don't really have much room to work but I managed to get most of the dirt off the starter.....but it was moist and I think the moisture got to it.....so it needs a starter. It looks like a PITA to get out though but I think it will be worth it. The machine only has 480 hours on it. Thats not much for one of these....is it :confused:???

Kevin

/ Ariens GT-18 #8  
The Ariens GT 17/18 was also painted red and sold under the Gravely name as 7173H and 18-H. Nothing wrong with those engines but the drive system in them wasn't up to the Gravely 8000/-G series use. For normal homeowner use they were ok. I think the major complaint from the local dealership mechanic was what a pain it was to work on the engine. I'll check with him when he gets back to work on Wednesday.

/ Ariens GT-18 #9  
It's worth working on, and even spending a little money on. Have you verified that the engine isn't siezed by rotating it by hand? Also, please change the oil before you try to start it, as you have no idea what's in the crankcase right now, could be oil, could be water and oil, could be gasoline and water and oil. Pull the starter out, and maybe with a carefull cleaning and inspection on your workbench, you can free it up enough to get it working.

/ Ariens GT-18
Yes, I rotated the engine by hand....turns nice. Also, pulled a plug and the cylinder wall looked nice and even some cross hatch :)

Right now my main goal is to get that eng on the bolens 1600 back together. I'm thinking that will be more of a tractor when it's done compaired to the gt-18. Anybody agree or disagree?

Kevin