ZEROTURN MOWERS Gravely VS. Badboy.

/ ZEROTURN MOWERS Gravely VS. Badboy. #21  
Randy, I haven't heard much of anything bad about the BB's at all. The pup series steps up from the zt series with the dual hydrostats as opposed to a single integrated setup. The lightening has the suspension and is the best seller out of their lineup. It would be nice to step up to that series for the better ride. Alot depends on how much you mow and what you mow as far as terrain. Find a dealer and test drive the different models. I have read of people putting better seats on the pup series also for a better ride.
Have you been to badboymowers.com?
Some here have mentioned a used commercial model, that option could be the way to go also, IF you could find something not just wore out or abused. I would think as the mowing season ends, one might find a deal later on. That's what I did 15 years ago. I found an individual who was moving and only used the mower for personal use. This time around, I bought a leftover new commercial unit. A diesel under 10k. That's alot of money for a machine that just mows grass but my hope is it last me for a lifetime.

/ ZEROTURN MOWERS Gravely VS. Badboy. #22  
Just looking at the specs, I'd say that the Bad Boy gets the nod based upon more HP and a true commercial drive system. It is definitely NOT a consumer level machine. The Gravely uses dual hydro trannies (ZT3400's) that are a step up from those found in Bad Boy's prosumer ZT series (ZT2800's), but the Pup uses dual Hydro Gear pumps. The Pup has bigger rear tires which should mean a better ride, but smaller front casters.

No personal experience with the Bad Boy, but very much liked it on paper. When I was looking (3+ years ago) it was not on my short list only because of the lack of a local dealer (300 miles away). They are quite highly regarded by many lawn care professionals over on www.lawnsite.com.

I also liked the Gravely then, and it was on my short list. Back then, I dropped it from contention because of the 160's deck "problem", coupled with my lack of $$ to step up to the 260. It used to use the dual hydro drive system that the current 100 (no "i") series still uses. My local dealer said the 160 had issues with pulling back up the grass the front casters had run down. His feeling was that it was a caster-to-spindle placement thing. This only pertained to the 160, not any of the other 100 series Z's. The 160 actually disappeared from Gravely's lineup for a couple of years so maybe that problem has been resolved. Nice to see it back, but question what market they're aiming for with that drive system.

Best bet is to "butt test" them.

/ ZEROTURN MOWERS Gravely VS. Badboy.
Thanks For everyones input, I think for now I am Leaning toward the Badboy Pup, I like the features and the swing away design as far as Maintenance and repairs. I quess now I need to actually go test drive several different brands and models. I think one thing about this Thread that surprised me is I didnt get a lot of positive feedback about Gravely Mowers. I thought Gravely were one of the Big Brands in the zero turn Market.

And thanks again for everyones Input. :)

Just looking at the specs, I'd say that the Bad Boy gets the nod based upon more HP and a true commercial drive system. It is definitely NOT a consumer level machine. The Gravely uses dual hydro trannies (ZT3400's) that are a step up from those found in Bad Boy's prosumer ZT series (ZT2800's), but the Pup uses dual Hydro Gear pumps. The Pup has bigger rear tires which should mean a better ride, but smaller front casters.

No personal experience with the Bad Boy, but very much liked it on paper. When I was looking (3+ years ago) it was not on my short list only because of the lack of a local dealer (300 miles away). They are quite highly regarded by many lawn care professionals over on www.lawnsite.com.

I also liked the Gravely then, and it was on my short list. Back then, I dropped it from contention because of the 160's deck "problem", coupled with my lack of $$ to step up to the 260. It used to use the dual hydro drive system that the current 100 (no "i") series still uses. My local dealer said the 160 had issues with pulling back up the grass the front casters had run down. His feeling was that it was a caster-to-spindle placement thing. This only pertained to the 160, not any of the other 100 series Z's. The 160 actually disappeared from Gravely's lineup for a couple of years so maybe that problem has been resolved. Nice to see it back, but question what market they're aiming for with that drive system.

Best bet is to "butt test" them.

Thanks for your response, I noticed those same features with the dual hydro trannies, Another nice feature is the 1/4" DECK. That is thicker than most tractor mowing implements...

/ ZEROTURN MOWERS Gravely VS. Badboy. #25  
Randy
I don't know what your use is for the zero turn mower. If you are just using it to cut your own lawn you might want to take a look at one of these.
Swisher Max Z ZT2660B zero-turn mower Review: Powered by ConsumerGuide and HowStuffWorks
I have no connection with swisher, the products seem a little unrefined but the one I have sure works good. It is very heavy (900 lb) and it seems to bridge the gap between home owner and professional machines. The front wheel supports and cutting deck are very stout. I have seen them clearanced priced at $3400 new at my local farm supply store. It has dual hydraulic drives but it is limited to around 6mph. My 4 acre yard is so lumpy I can't stay in the seat any faster than that. I would love to have a professional mower that would run 10 or 12 mph but I wouldn't be able to use it on my lawn.

Test drove the BB Pup with upgraded seat, Rode nice, first time I had ever driven a ZTurn it would take some getting used to but the build and quality of the BB is very good for the Price compared to other high end Zturns. I'm figuring the warranty would be served better if bought in the Spring Instead of Off Season...

/ ZEROTURN MOWERS Gravely VS. Badboy. #27  
i wasn't sure i actually liked my ztr for about a month (not a lot of seat time)......now, it's just like an extension of your body and will flat fly.....so give yourself time to get used to it...

/ ZEROTURN MOWERS Gravely VS. Badboy. #28  
Test drove the BB Pup with upgraded seat, Rode nice, first time I had ever driven a ZTurn it would take some getting used to but the build and quality of the BB is very good for the Price compared to other high end Zturns. I'm figuring the warranty would be served better if bought in the Spring Instead of Off Season...

Guess that'd be true for tractors as well. Never really thought about it, but at the end of warranty, if you bought in the spring and you needed non-critical work done, you could hold off till winter instead of rushing to the dealer while still under warranty in the middle of work season..

Guess that'd be true for tractors as well. Never really thought about it, but at the end of warranty, if you bought in the spring and you needed non-critical work done, you could hold off till winter instead of rushing to the dealer while still under warranty in the middle of work season..

That and you get a good full season of work to test any faulty manufacturing of components. If a component is going to fail maybe it will in the first hard season.