Ariens - Husky/B&S - Kohler

/ Ariens - Husky/B&S - Kohler #1  

Dean FZ35

This is the Spring for a new riding lawn mower. I cut too much grass with a bushhog behind my Kioti (while tearing up the yard); and too much walking behind a mower (for mid-60's). Do not have either smooth or stump free 4 acres (1.5 acres wooded). Ruined last riding mower hitting nearly invisible stumps. Now after 10 years, I think I know where the stumps are. Appears Ariens dealers sell machines with Kohler, while H.D. sells similar Ariens models with Briggs engines. Looking for advice for riding mower in the price range of $2,000. Who has had a mower that exceeded his expectations? Deep South Louisiana so no snow blower features needed. Thanks.

/ Ariens - Husky/B&S - Kohler #2  
I've been very happy with my Hustler mini Fastrac except for the 15 hp Kohler Courage engine that came on it. It nuked after 150 hrs or so. Course it was out of warrantee but the dealer took it apart anyway and offered no clues. I collected and studied the bits and believe the following. First the decompression mechanism broke which allowed the exhaust valve to float occasionally making a random missfire. The extra load and heat on the valve eventually caused the valve stem to break and the engine swallowed the it. End of story. I converted to a 16 hp Honda twin but have only mowed with it once. The honda is way smoother and quieter (same muffler) than the kohler.
The Hustler is a nice machine built like a rock. It should still be mowing after several engines have come and gone. It will set you back more than 2k though. Mine was ~3500 4 years ago. Smallest one they currently make is a 42 and it probably pushes 5k.
I also have a JD160 that is a tough beast. It has a 12 hp Kaw and 38 inch deck. It will far out last the MTD's and their equals. I'd shop craigslist farm and garden for a while and look for an older JD in good shape.