Default 1948 Model L Gravely oil pump issues

Sorry Newby to this site. But I need some help on figuring out why I have no oil pressure or no oil in the filter or pumping out under the fill cap. When I get the Gravely started runs idles great great but no oil circulation? Thanks for any info. -Jack

Platinum Member

Default Re: 1948 Model L Gravely oil pump issues

Quote Originally Posted by zikibusey View Post
    Sorry Newby to this site. But I need some help on figuring out why I have no oil pressure or no oil in the filter or pumping out under the fill cap. When I get the Gravely started runs idles great great but no oil circulation? Thanks for any info. -Jack
    Most times it is due to the pump becoming air bound. Try tilting the tractor back for a couple hours to allow oil to fill the line to the pump and the pump. Other way to prime the pump is to fill the line going to the filter from the block and pump. Worse case is the bottom of the tranny is filled with crud and covering the screen.

Tractor
    gravely L

i just went thur **** trying to prime an L i rebuilt took the oil pump a part used 1000 grite sand paper polised pump cover check the gear to hoseing with stright edge used #3 avatsion permatex on cover , tryed to prime at lower oil line did not work got a small fuel line put on the nosel of my oil pump can from chain saw an primed at oil line up near oil filter. that worked got oil pressure now

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Gravely

I use petroleum jelly to prime oil pumps. I pack the pump with it when I assemble it. Do not use grease.