Hobby farm mechanic / gravely enthusiast

/ Hobby farm mechanic / gravely enthusiast #1  

muely123

Hi all. I'm hoping to contribute to this site with some general mechanic info and anyone needing help with the old Gravely model L lawn tractors. Also looking for some repair advice...

/ Hobby farm mechanic / gravely enthusiast #2  
Welcome. There have been some great posts about folk repowering Gravelys with diesels and after market engines. I have enjoyed reading them. I have an early 70's Convertible that has a tendency to pop out of high gear on the two speed axle. One of these days I'll need to seek advice on this and get some idea about fixing. I enjoy using the old tractors and have used a Gravely on and off for over 40 years. Great work horses.

Any way welcome and enjoy.

/ Hobby farm mechanic / gravely enthusiast #3  
Welcome to TBN. I like the Gravely's also. I have never owned an L but am on my second G tractor. There were some posts recently on Gravely tractors on TBN. The more Gravely people here the better!

/ Hobby farm mechanic / gravely enthusiast #4  
Pull off the axle housing. You will find the dogs on the clutch housing are worn at an angle.You can grind them flat with a dremel chainsaw sharpener of pull off both axles and remove the entire clutch housing and file them flat by hand. I used a dremel and remove savings with a magnet. It worked great. The part was $82 plus shipping gringing was free and less work.
I bet it last 40 more years.

Welcome. There have been some great posts about folk repowering Gravelys with diesels and after market engines. I have enjoyed reading them. I have an early 70's Convertible that has a tendency to pop out of high gear on the two speed axle. One of these days I'll need to seek advice on this and get some idea about fixing. I enjoy using the old tractors and have used a Gravely on and off for over 40 years. Great work horses.

Any way welcome and enjoy.

/ Hobby farm mechanic / gravely enthusiast #5  
There were a few changes made to the Swiftamatic shifter linkage over the years. Here are some pictures from a 5665 that I recently restored. There is supposed to be a washer under the 1/4" nut but this picture illustrates normal linkage movement. Corrosion or dirt will prevent the shifter from fully engaging.

DSCN5729-r.jpg

DSCN5730-r.jpg