help ! no forward or reverse

/ help ! no forward or reverse #1  

jdboy4410

Bronze Member
Tractor
john deere 4410,1962 Gravely L model,Gravely Commercial 10,multiple attachments,and JD x320
i just picked up an old commercial 10,it had a couple of wiring issues that i got straightened out,and now it runs.i got a truck load of attachments for it in the deal,snow thrower,a blade,sulky,tiller,30" brush mower,and a rotary plow.it was a good find.i got it running,it had the blade attached to it and i was going to play around with it a little.i started it up,and proceeded to head up back to the upper field ,got about 10',and it just stopped,no noises,nothing,it was like it was thrown into neutral,won't go forward or reverse.i'm thinking,&%$#!,i just bought this thing.
have'nt taken the blade off to dig in yet.this is my second gravely,my other one is a 62 model,i love it ! i got a great deal on this one,i figured i just had to take a chance on it considering the deal.i am hoping this may be something simple.anyone have an idea as to what happened ?it made no noises,it was running fine,but just lost forward and reverse.maybe it has happened to someone else ?

/ help ! no forward or reverse #2  
i just picked up an old commercial 10,it had a couple of wiring issues that i got straightened out,and now it runs.i got a truck load of attachments for it in the deal,snow thrower,a blade,sulky,tiller,30" brush mower,and a rotary plow.it was a good find.i got it running,it had the blade attached to it and i was going to play around with it a little.i started it up,and proceeded to head up back to the upper field ,got about 10',and it just stopped,no noises,nothing,it was like it was thrown into neutral,won't go forward or reverse.i'm thinking,&%$#!,i just bought this thing.
have'nt taken the blade off to dig in yet.this is my second gravely,my other one is a 62 model,i love it ! i got a great deal on this one,i figured i just had to take a chance on it considering the deal.i am hoping this may be something simple.anyone have an idea as to what happened ?it made no noises,it was running fine,but just lost forward and reverse.maybe it has happened to someone else ?
Pull the blade and make sure there is a stud or bolt on the back of the mount to keep the pinion shaft in place. Other places to check are the keys on the axles and the lever on the tranny.

/ help ! no forward or reverse
thanks for the input,definitely will pull the blade,don't know much about what makes these gravely's tick,getting an education as i go.the pinion shaft would make sense,it just lost for/rev all at once,no warning.the keys are intact i do know for sure.i know they used the pin to keep that shaft from walking out when using non pto driven attachments.i will check it out and post what i find,thanks

/ help ! no forward or reverse
found the problem,the lever for the high/low range is out of adjustment.when i took the plow off,it smelled really bad in there,like burnt clutches.i need to get a service manual and check into the drive set up on this tractor.don't know much about them,but i will ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

/ help ! no forward or reverse #6  
How is it going guys, i have a quick question maybe one of you can answer for me, I have a gravely 5665 professional with a 12hp kohler engine, everytime i try to start it now, it starts up but will only run for about 30 seconds than it stalls and gas floods the carb., what could that be?

Attachments

• CIMG0044.jpg
    CIMG0044.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 474
   / help ! no forward or reverse #7  
How is it going guys, i have a quick question maybe one of you can answer for me, I have a gravely 5665 professional with a 12hp kohler engine, everytime i try to start it now, it starts up but will only run for about 30 seconds than it stalls and gas floods the carb., what could that be?
Sticking float and needle valve.