Gravely 16G

/ Gravely 16G #1  

Giles

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota B2320---Wheelhorse lawn mower--- Case 480D Backhoe
I just bought a Gravely 16G Lawn Tractor. Absolutely the best constructed lawn mower I have ever owned.
Now-- a question. I have a lot of work in rough ground (not mowed) and I would like to have more ground clearance, for the deck. When the deck is in "raised" position (transport) the gauge wheels are still on the ground. I have seen photos of these machines and it apppears that it is in the design of the lifting mechanism.
I know that I can remove the deck but was wondering if this is, in fact, the way it should be, is it out of adjustment or can it be modified to lift completely?

/ Gravely 16G #2  
I just bought a Gravely 16G Lawn Tractor. Absolutely the best constructed lawn mower I have ever owned.
Now-- a question. I have a lot of work in rough ground (not mowed) and I would like to have more ground clearance, for the deck. When the deck is in "raised" position (transport) the gauge wheels are still on the ground. I have seen photos of these machines and it apppears that it is in the design of the lifting mechanism.
I know that I can remove the deck but was wondering if this is, in fact, the way it should be, is it out of adjustment or can it be modified to lift completely?

The only adjustment on the deck lift on my 16-G is a "J"-bolt that is double nutted. This hooks into an eye bolt on top of the deck. These double nuts on the "J"-bolt can be adjusted to raise the deck until it bottoms out on the frame. Even at that the deck doesn't raise as much as I would like it to. The 16-G is a very good machine. With the engine under the seat and their low center of gravity there are one of the best for mowing steep hills.

/ Gravely 16G
The only adjustment on the deck lift on my 16-G is a "J"-bolt that is double nutted. This hooks into an eye bolt on top of the deck. These double nuts on the "J"-bolt can be adjusted to raise the deck until it bottoms out on the frame. Even at that the deck doesn't raise as much as I would like it to. The 16-G is a very good machine. With the engine under the seat and their low center of gravity there are one of the best for mowing steep hills.
THANKS I will look--What had me confused was that in all photos I have seen, the deck is in this position--even in my service manual.
I found this Gravely, with three bag bagger system, on CL, local, and I could not believe the mechanical condition it was in. Sadly the machine is badly faded but no rust anywhere:confused: It has an owner installed hour meter and the PO said it was correct --with 436 hours:thumbsup: I can believe this because it shows NO wear, not even on the floorboards! Original Belts.

/ Gravely 16G #4  
These mowers are very easy to service. Just about every movable joint has a grease fitting. The forward and reverse clutches are on the outside and easily replaced. These mowers were built to last many years. You made a good investment.

/ Gravely 16G
I adjusted the rod, as you suggested and it is now at a height I like. THANKS