Model L and Model C Repower Parts

/ Model L and Model C Repower Parts
Oldmech, that's the problem, even with the low range the Kohler PTO speeds are way too fast for the sickle bar and I personally think also for th erotary plow.

The RPM is the problem
The Gravely engine top operating rpm is 2600 RPM.
So set your gov where it will not let you go any higher then 2600 RPM.
You can drop your RPM down low and it will hold it good.
When operating the tractor with the Honda
It is like the engine is playing with the tractor
So on a sickle run at a low rpm.
You have enough torque to operate a sickle bar:thumbsup:

/ Model L and Model C Repower Parts #12  
I'm new to this forum but, here is a repower that Gravelymay helped me put together. He helped me on another forum. Its a 1967 424. With Bruces help and his adapters etc, I put a 16 hp Honda knock off on it. I drove it a short time after I got the engine on it then decided to take it apart and restore it. The repower was a breeze with his guidance.

Attachments

• 424 gravely.jpg
    424 gravely.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,341
  • DSCN0346.JPG
    DSCN0346.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 970
  • DSCN0347.JPG
    DSCN0347.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 1,404
   / Model L and Model C Repower Parts #13  
The cost of Gravely parts is simply obscene these days.

Certain parts are higher than they should be, but when you take into consideration that the parts are made in the USA, the longevity of the tractor, and the rest, the price of most parts isn't bad. 4 wheeler clutches can be expensive but if you take care of them, they will last 30 years. I look at the TCO or Total Cost of Ownership. If it costs me $1000 over 30 years, that cost is actually $33 per year or about 8 gallons of gas.

These are low demand parts. I consider myself fortunate just being able to get them.

/ Model L and Model C Repower Parts #14  
the PTO speed is too fast for the implements like the sickle bar and even the rotatry plow. Any ideas on a way to reduce the PTO speed?

At full speed I agree. With a good 12hp engine, there is no reason why you can't run the engine at 1500 RPM. I found that plowing at 1500 RPM works nicely. Plenty of power and the dirt shield is not needed. Cultivating at higher PTO or engine speeds however is my preference.

/ Model L and Model C Repower Parts #15  
The question of PTO and ground speed comes up about 2 times a year when discussing repower options for the Gravely T heads.It's a non issue ! There is nothing keeping you from changing the governed speed to 2400 or even 2000. Governed speed does NOT mean you can't run it slower ! All engines have a throttle and the throttle sets the govenor on all the newer engines, and you will find the newer engines govenors respond almost instantly to changing loads. The cost of Gravely parts and the total operating cost is also a non issue. The gravely T heads are horrible on gas running at 2400RPM, yes they have ENOUGH torque to let you run them slower , but a new 13HP engine has more torque at any rpm than any old T head at the same rpm, and the newer engines absolutely sip fuel compared to the T heads. If you want to figure total cost of operation you have to add in fuel costs. It has been my personal experience using both the T heads and a modern Honda clone and a 12 HP Kohler, the new Honda clones/ real Hondas,use about 1/2 the gas of a Kohler 12hp and A lot less than the T heads at the same rpm. Don't try to compare a T head poking around at 1200 RPM to a honda at 3600. Run the honda at 1200 and you will outperform any T head and use far less fuel in the bargain. AND the new Hondas start in any weather even down to -40F here in Maine, and they start on the first or second pull everytime.You can buy a 8 -16HP clone for far less than a new cylinder and piston for a gravely and it will outperform any T head at any speed, and you get a new gas tank,new carb,new exhaust, new govenor, new everything , plus a real charging system to run lights and electric start that works every time.

/ Model L and Model C Repower Parts #17  
Hi! I have a Gravely L model with reduction gear. I install fours year ago a 10hp Dek diesel. I have now over 325 hours. This Gravely with reduction wheels ratio is 3 to 1 but 4x12 wheels speed is about 2 1/4 less original L model. No problem with bush hog 30 in. in first and second gear I use about 2600 rpm.sometime about 3000rpm. Run very well with Gravely snowblower in first gear . I have a Gravely rotary plow. I use first gear at about 2000 rpm run very well. I never use 3600 rpm. Because less torque and more fuel by hp. This diesel take less one liter hour at 2400 rpm. Dont hurry Gravely LS model L8 and the best Gravely L model with reduction wheels are very good for new engine. For sickle mower May be fast I dont have. I sold my Gravely L8 . I prefer My Gravely Diesel with reduction wheels. Just two speeds but the goods ones. 4 x 12 tires are better than 4 x 8 and reduction Wheels add 130 lbs . More heavy more stable. Good Luck ! Oldmech

Attachments

• turn7.JPG
    turn7.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 3,110
   / Model L and Model C Repower Parts #18  
Hi! I have a Gravely L model with reduction gear. I install fours year ago a 10hp Dek diesel. I have now over 325 hours. This Gravely with reduction wheels ratio is 3 to 1 but 4x12 wheels speed is about 2 1/4 less original L model. No problem with bush hog 30 in. in first and second gear I use about 2600 rpm.sometime about 3000rpm. Run very well with Gravely snowblower in first gear . I have a Gravely rotary plow. I use first gear at about 2000 rpm run very well. I never use 3600 rpm. Because less torque and more fuel by hp. This diesel take less one liter hour at 2400 rpm. Dont hurry Gravely LS model L8 and the best Gravely L model with reduction wheels are very good for new engine. For sickle mower May be fast I dont have. I sold my Gravely L8 . I prefer My Gravely Diesel with reduction wheels. Just two speeds but the goods ones. 4 x 12 tires are better than 4 x 8 and reduction Wheels add 130 lbs . More heavy more stable. Good Luck ! Oldmech

What in the world is that behind your tractor? Is that a combination wheel / ski sulky? Whatever it is, its cool!

/ Model L and Model C Repower Parts #19  
Hi! The thing is a one wheel sulky. I make it four years ago for mowing large area. You can run on seat (As motorbike feeling) or upright on footboards. Turn more tight than a two wheels sulky. Never bump trees etc.. I like it . Good luck! Oldmech

Attachments

• 22bc.jpg
    22bc.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 1,577
   / Model L and Model C Repower Parts #20  
I recently repowered a Gravely L8 with a 9 Horsepower Honda I used a 500 series hood,dash,handle bars & the old L8 levers, it is quite, powerful, easy to start & so easy on gas,it out preforms any of the T head Gravelys I have ever used & i have been using Gravelys for over 40 years. I like my repowered Gravely better than any I have to work with. Going to do another with a 13 Horsepower Honda. with out Bruce's parts & advice I never would have been able to do this, I the old L trans is stronger than the Kohler powered ones.