What model gravely did I just get?

/ What model gravely did I just get? #1  

db556

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jeep Wrangler / gravely 5240
A friend seeing that I just bought a 5240 told me he had a old gravely in his back field I could have with some attachments. Well I got it home, and got the leaves off of it and dropped on a battery. Greased and beat the starting chain loose. Added some gas found the tank has a crack in the bottom and up she started not bad for some thing thats been sitting in a field for who knows how long.

Well looking at I looked around it has a white hood, governor, electric start and the hi/low axle, the tag said its a L8 what HP do you guys think it is? My neighbor said its a super convertible since its electric start so 7.6 but I dont know.

How do you think I should fix the gas tank it had some bondo on it but that came right off, so solder or braze it?

Also it seams the pivot pin for the axle broke, any ideas?

Pictures below.

DSCF7882.jpg

DSCF7876.jpg

DSCF7877.jpg

DSCF7878.jpg

DSCF7880.jpg

DSCF7889.jpg

/ What model gravely did I just get? #2  
You have a 6.6hp super convertible L model tractor. The large, slanted plug and the under hood air filter housing is the giveaway. 7.6 models had a smaller vertical spark plug and a side mounted Kohler-style air cleaner. I'd look for a good used tank on ebay if I were you. There is a pretty good Gravely walkbehind tractor forum on Yahoo (at least there once was). Suggest a timing check and valve adjustment also to make sure she is running right.

/ What model gravely did I just get? #3  
Looks like a very close match to mine.
I have a Super Convertible 7.6 cost new in 1974 $769.00
Some of this series were Commercial 10A $927.00
And a Commercial 12 for $998.00
The front blade in picture cost $131.00
Looks like a rotory mower 30 " cost $158.00
They are a tough and easy serviceable type of engine the only problems I ever had was the Shipper shaft shifting lever and parts. Say this 3 time fast.
But again easy repairable.
Clean up and use seems the younger group needs a lot of horse power and a cab. to get any work done.
ken

/ What model gravely did I just get? #4  
An excellent source of parts and knowledge on these tractors is Richards Lawn and Garden in Spencer WV. Your tractor is likely from the 63-65 era if I recall correctly. Parts are mostly still available, especially used, but parts from Gravely (now owned by Ariens) have really gone up over the past few years. If you are not someone who links to tinker and fiddle with old rusty iron, well, an old Gravely is not going to be much fun. I know these inside and out as I once rebuilt and restored them as a hobby and for profit (barely) on the side.

/ What model gravely did I just get? #5  
You got an L-8 which is highly prized because it has a two speed axle and a high low range. Also, you have an electric start which is also a definite plus if it's working.

There used to be a gravely website that is no longer around that had some examples of how people made chain guards for those exposed starter chains.

If the engine is a dud, there is still hope of replacing the engine with a modern one and having it work despite the higher engine RPM of the newer engines because of the available low speeds on the L-8. There is a fairly long thread in the two wheel tractor forum here on repowering these things where this is discussed in more detail.

There's some gas tank epoxy you can buy the auto parts store to put on it until you find another tank.

Richards is the place to get parts.

A lot of people would be thrilled if they could get their hands on your L8 model.

/ What model gravely did I just get?
Well I brazed the tank, and its golden! :thumbsup: .... though that might because the entire bottom is covered with brass brazing rod :laughing:

I took the battery off of my welder and she started right up :thumbsup: BUT she wouldn't move. So I started looking at the linkage, it was ok, then I thought I killed the clutch and I was all bummed out. Till I started looking at the plow, the holes for changing the blade angle will miss drilled and the welds were all over the place, thats odd.

So I took off the plow from the advance housing and sure enough, home made plow! It didn't have a bolt to keep the PTO shaft from riding forward.
So a 5/16ths drill, 3/8 gun tap, and five minutes later I have a cariage bolt installed the shaft pushed back in and its moving again! :thumbsup:

So I promptly started plowing ruts in the mud in my back yard since I'm out of snow. :D

Though I am thinking of re-powering it with a kohler command 25hp I have on my bench at work. And turning it into a hyper-gravely shrub slaughtering machine :D

/ What model gravely did I just get? #7  
So you've been out in the cold working and playing with your Gravely.

Another confirmed case of Gravely fever.

/ What model gravely did I just get? #8  
Well I brazed the tank, and its golden! :thumbsup: .... though that might because the entire bottom is covered with brass brazing rod :laughing:

I took the battery off of my welder and she started right up :thumbsup: BUT she wouldn't move. So I started looking at the linkage, it was ok, then I thought I killed the clutch and I was all bummed out. Till I started looking at the plow, the holes for changing the blade angle will miss drilled and the welds were all over the place, thats odd.

So I took off the plow from the advance housing and sure enough, home made plow! It didn't have a bolt to keep the PTO shaft from riding forward.
So a 5/16ths drill, 3/8 gun tap, and five minutes later I have a cariage bolt installed the shaft pushed back in and its moving again! :thumbsup:

So I promptly started plowing ruts in the mud in my back yard since I'm out of snow. :D

Though I am thinking of re-powering it with a kohler command 25hp I have on my bench at work. And turning it into a hyper-gravely shrub slaughtering machine :D

I wish I had such nice neighbors. :thumbsup:

Consider sticking with that engine. Too much engine is not really good for the drive train. Clean it and paint it back OEM colors and you will have a working collectible to use around the place.

/ What model gravely did I just get? #9  
the year of it is kind of throwing me off since it has the glass bowl mounted under the tank.i will have to look the numbers up,but i am thinking you have a 64-66 model L8.i have a 62 model L.as long as that engine runs good,i wouldn't consider re-powering it.they have plenty of umph.although on mine,it is a little slow getting the mower started,but once it gets spinning,watch out.mine doesn't have the governer either.good thing i didn't find that rascal first,yea,i got the fever bad ! those old machines are awesome.as recommended in the previous post,you will want to check valve adj.,and for as cheap as it is to do,put in a new set of points and condensor and set that timing spot on.the manual actually tells you that is not kept in proper tune it is hard on the magneto,so,like i said,for the cost of the parts,get-r-done.if the valves are right,timing on,they start easily,and run well.enough power to get you into trouble or cause injury.i love these old gravely's,but safety was a second thought when they were built.i would install a remote starter switch on it,easy and inexpensive to do.a new chain as well.you can pick one of those switches up at most auto parts stores and mount it to one of the handlebars.unfortunately,mine is not electric start,but being a tinkerer with a huge tool box well equipped,got to work and tuned mine right by the manual,and it usually starts in one pull,even when it is cold out.i was surprised,the last time i started it was back this past Aug.,pulled it out a week ago,turned the choke on,opened the throttle 1/4 way,and gave it a tug and it fired right up on one pull.i just love that old engine.those engines were built when Studebaker was involved,very simple to work on and service.i don't know all the differences between the 6.6 and the 7.6,looks like it is just the head to me,not for sure though.no proof of that.if you need a gas tank,i may have one in my collection.i have a few old walk behinds that are basically parts machines.my machine was also a salvage that i picked up for free.the head was off,and it had been sitting a long time.took me about 1 1/2 hours to get everything ready enough to try to start it,but it fired up on 3 pulls,how could you not love these old beasts ??????????? lol

/ What model gravely did I just get? #10  
i just bought a 5240 with mower, rototiller, blade for 100.00, it has an 8 hp kohler, w elec start, was this a good buy?? it needs a new carb anybody have one for sale?? what is this gravely actually worth with the attachments