About to buy an old Gravely

/ About to buy an old Gravely #1  

bigpete

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4110 HST w/410 Loader and 60
I've been looking around for an older Gravely 4-wheel rider for some time now and I'm about to pull the trigger on an 8183-T circa 1980. It has its typical cosmetic problems, as well as a fuel system "issue," but nothing I can't handle with a carb rebuild and a little investment in a paint job.

The tractors sell on the average for around $2,100 in good condition these days and sold for $4,100 new in 1979 and 1980. The farmer selling it is firm at around $1,000 with 800 hours on the tractor's clock.

I think I've about exhausted my welcome over at the Yahoo Gravely Clubs with my questions, but I just had to check around here to see if anyone has had any experience with this particular model or refitting a Gravely rider. I know the Onan B48M 18 hp parts will be rare and expensive if needed, but I'm willing to take the risk to have one of these classics in the shed.

Any comments are appreciated, or if anyone out there has something in the same line for sale, drop me a note. I'll post a few "before" pictures if my offer is accepted.

BTW, I'm only partly crazy. I'm selling my JD 445 right now (drop me a note on that one, too) and moving up to a JD2210 or BX2200 in a month or so, so this is a nice project and will be a tractor my 12-year-old boy can use around the property.

Regards,

/ About to buy an old Gravely #2  
I have owned a 8162B for a number of years. Sold it last spring for $250. I bought a Kubota B7500 last March. It had an oil leak in the area of the axle seals but other than that it was not in bad shape. The sheet metal showed signs of surface rust and the seat needed to be replaced. It had a cast iron commercial grade 18 hp gas engine, and was built very solidly. The chassis would probably last for ever and the engine could be rebuilt many times.

The mower deck was very solid. As a matter of fact it was designed to be driven over by the operator in order to attach it to the tractor itself. I replaced one of the three rotary shaft housings at one point. That particular blade started to hit the deck as it the blade spun.

I sold it to a guy who restores Gravely's. He was in hog heaven. I turned around and bought a rear blade for my 7500 the same day. A win/win situation as it was just lying around my property.

I would not hesitate to recommend a Gravely four wheel to anyone. Parts should still be available as the design of this model has not changed significantly.

/ About to buy an old Gravely #3  
There's a guy, not far from you, who operates a small Gravely business when he's not working at Bethleham Steel in Baltimore who will be more than helpful to you. gravelycountry@usa.net is his email.