Thinking of a ZT 60 HD

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #1  

fredhargis

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2920, Kioto CK3510HB
Where better to get input on a Gravely. I'm thinking of replacing my 16 year old Dixon this year. I'm looking at a Gravely ZT HD 60. I had a couple of specific questions:
the only dealer real close to me seems to charge list price ($4800, in this case). Do dealers generally discount these mowers any?

It has the Kawasaki engine, and I've had real good luck with them on other stuff (generator). are they still well made engines.

Finally, any input on the Gravely ZT mowers from your experience would be appreciated, including any questions you think I should have asked but didn't.

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #2  
From what I hear the 260 is one mean machine. The blade tip speed up up near the legal maximum which is good.

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #3  
Working at a dealership, I can voche for nearly the whole Gravely line up. Very few issue with them, very very good warranty coverage for any issues. Our dealership doesn't get much lower then $4700 on this model. After running them, working on them and selling them (I'm a mechanic that sets them up, works parts, and occasionally helps in the show room) I think they are very hard to beat, especially compared to the competition. I'm considering an HD 60 or 52 myself.

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #4  
i just bought a 160, my only complaint is it's hard to find natural. With my xmark you would pull the handles to the middle and push them outward. the 160 doesn't do that. Other than that i love it. I looked at the HD 60 as well but wanted the commercial motor.
Good luck

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #5  
Purchased the ZT 60 HD last June. Good mower, but have some slopes and ZT not great on slopes so swapped out tires for a more aggressive tread. (Not available from Gravely, so had to locate elsewhere.) Tip..Kawasaki engine is great but can save $$ on oil filter by buying @ John Deere and not at Gravely dealer. Yes, I found it hard to believe but save $3-4 per filter. Deere uses a lot of Kawasaki engines so filters are available there.

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #6  
Correct. I believe the correct Kawi number is 49065-7007, while the stens number is a 120-485. I'm trying to find if the Briggs 492932S is correct as well. If it is, It should interchange with the other briggs filters.

EDIT. It's the same as Briggs filters. 27 Micron 3" O.D. The factory size is avail from JD as a AM125424 or you can get a longer one with the same ratings a AM101207

Typical prices range from $2.92-6.99...verses $13.95 list price from Gravely.

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #7  
I got the HD60 last month and have been really happy with it. I don't have any experience with other zero turns, but this one has been fairly easy to learn to use and seems to cut about as well as I could expect. I manage my slopes OK, though it does get exciting on the edge of a 300' ditch across the front of my property. It must get to 45 degrees when I cut as far down as I used to on my old rider and I haven't slipped into the ditch....yet.

As to oil filters, my dealer, who also handles Bad Boy and Skag mowers, as well as New Holland tractors and various other equipment, uses an Oregon 83-282 filter. Oregon says that is a replacement for several Kawasaki models for smaller engines, and that it "fits most Kawasaki" engines, but does not specifically say it is for the FR730V engine or that it replaces the 49065-7007. I bought one for $9 + from them because I wanted to be familiar to them in case I had any problems. When I noticed it wasn't the same diameter as my original Kawasaki filter I went back to them and they told me that is the filter they use for all their service on these Kawasaki engines. It does seem to meet the specs, though the by-pass valve has a different but overlapping pressure range than the 49065-7007.

I haven't used it yet. Any group wisdom about Oregon filters?

I do like this mower. I cut my whole place in something like 2.5 hours and it used to take at least 4.5 hours on my old rider. I have lots of trees to go around and this makes that much easier. I used to catch the old rider on the fence circles just about every time, but this slides around them easily. Even though my place is like a washboard in areas the ride isn't all that bad. In fact, I find that after jerking myself around on the mower by going way too fast in some places my back is nice an loose. Mower as chiropractor!

P.S. Also need to figure out how to oil the wheel mounts. No grease fittings and no obvious hole to hit with oil.

Chuck

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #8  
As to oil filters, my dealer, who also handles Bad Boy and Skag mowers, as well as New Holland tractors and various other equipment, uses an Oregon 83-282 filter. Oregon says that is a replacement for several Kawasaki models for smaller engines, and that it "fits most Kawasaki" engines, but does not specifically say it is for the FR730V engine or that it replaces the 49065-7007. I bought one for $9 + from them because I wanted to be familiar to them in case I had any problems. When I noticed it wasn't the same diameter as my original Kawasaki filter I went back to them and they told me that is the filter they use for all their service on these Kawasaki engines. It does seem to meet the specs, though the by-pass valve has a different but overlapping pressure range than the 49065-7007.

I haven't used it yet. Any group wisdom about Oregon filters?

The normal Kawi filters don't fit these engines. The FR engine's filters are larger and NOT interchangeable. The JD AM101207 or JD AM125424 is correct or Briggs 492932s or Kohler short 12 050 01-s long 52 050 02. Whichever you're more familiar with. Tell them you want an oil filter for a Kohler or Briggs (they're the same)

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #9  
Thanks, rols.

The dealer didn't even have another filter, so they must be using these 83-282s for service, and they have sold a ton of the HD60s. I'll get a "correct" filter. Cheap insurance for a 5K machine.

Chuck

/ Thinking of a ZT 60 HD #10  
I just went to Oregon's site and used their search engine on the Kawasaki number for their equivalent. No equivalent to the Kawasaki 49065-7007. Great. Sure makes me trust the dealer.

Chuck