Gravely commercial 12 roto-plow ?s

/ Gravely commercial 12 roto-plow ?s #1  

jeremychance

Tractor
Too many tractors to list
Hey guys Im new to the forum and need some help! I just got this commercial 12 from my grandfather and it is in great shape. The problem I have is when i engage the roto-plow as it digs it comes to a stop. I have to back it up. Im assuming their is a clutch slipping? Any suggestions?

/ Gravely commercial 12 roto-plow ?s #2  
You are correct there is a slip clutch where it connects to the tractor, now Im not sure of the "correct" setting on a rotary plow but on the 30" mower I loosen all the jam nuts then wind the bolts in and compress the springs then back the bolts off 1/2 turn then tighten the jam nuts. I have never had to reset my plow clutch so I cant tell you for sure if thats to tight for the plow, but since its not a big job to do the clutch you might want to tighten it incrementally till your happy,,, now if the forward motion of the tractor is also stopping with the plow you might need to adjust your high/low clutch.

/ Gravely commercial 12 roto-plow ?s
I found the clutch your talking about on the plow i will try adjusting it later today. Now that you mention it when i put the lever on the right in the high position it starts and stops. Is this the clutch your talking about? Also is there any sites that are helpful in finding attachments. Thanks for the help.

/ Gravely commercial 12 roto-plow ?s #4  
The lever on the right on the "dash" is for the high/low axle or "swiftmatic", it has nothing directly to do with the operation of the pto,,, check to see if dirt and rocks have built up on the axle housing in the area of the linkage,, build up of "stuff" in this area causes the linkage not to fully engage and causes the hop you might be talking about, common with mine when using the rotary plow. The other clutch I was refering to would be the left lever on the handlebars. Finding other attachments? check ebay, craigslist, local papers,, sometimes you have to buy the whole lot to get what ya really want.

/ Gravely commercial 12 roto-plow ?s
On the lever on the left handlebar i see no adjustments on it am i overlooking them are is there another way of adjusting it?

/ Gravely commercial 12 roto-plow ?s #6  
Here is a link to where you can get the factory manuals you need for free.

OldGravelys.Net: Gravely Manuals & Parts Lists: Walk-Behind Tractors

Gravely made these machines to be repaired by the user, and they wrote their manuals to be specific enough to cover the most common issues.

There are also some manuals on the site for the attachments. If you look at the plow manual, it has the specs for adjusting the slip clutch so it works, but also gives if you hit something.

The other good thing is you can get copies of the various sales brochures that are fun to read, too.

Enjoy....

/ Gravely commercial 12 roto-plow ?s #7  
In total agreement with 2manyrocks. The oldgravelys.net is the best source of info on these machines. I just bought a C-12 @ 3 weeks ago and now have it running. VERY STRONG machine. As for attachments, parts and such, these 2 places have my vote. GravelyShop.com and Welcome to Richard's Lawn & Garden . I think both carry used attachments and new parts.

Kelly