Gravely PTO not working

/ Gravely PTO not working #11  
WHeel hubs can be an issue. You will likely need a puller and maybe some heat.

Getting the nut off the brake drum usually requires an impact wrench. If it is really stuck, some heat nay be needed. The drum may require a puller.

The clutch consists of two parts. A movable hub with fraction material and a non movable drive plate. The drive plate stays on the transmission. The hub with the friction material should just slide off.

WHen it comes to parts I use Richards. Welcome to Richard's Lawn & Garden

/ Gravely PTO not working
I got everything apart thanks to your suggestion of the impact wrench, Richard TX. I'll be sending the whole PTO assembly to Richard's, along with a short shopping list of parts and some $$.

Thanks again for the help. It would have taken longer, and I probably would have broken something without the great advice from this site.

/ Gravely PTO not working
The Gravely beast is back in working order!

It took me about 10 hours to disassemble and 10 hours to re-assemble, plus $600+ in parts, but everything is back in place, cleaned up, and running like a champ.

When I took the transmission apart, the gears looked just like they came out of the factory. I sent the PTO clutch assembly to Richards for rebuilding, ordered a couple of replacement bearings, gaskets, and oil seals, and got everything back together this weekend.

I appreciate the advice and information from the members of this forum who helped along the way.

See pictures in photo gallery: http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/9211

Last edited:
   / Gravely PTO not working #14  
Greetings folks,
Is anyone familiar with trouble shooting the walk behind PTO slip clutch. I have a 13Hp 5645 with the brush cutter attachment. The blade started going stationary when it came upon thick grass so I assumed it was the clutch, I changed the friction discs, torqued the bolts down according to spec Slip Clutch Adjustment - Gravely 985103 Service Manual [Page 14] and there was little improvement. I then gave each bolt 1/2 turn more and that did the job for about 5 hrs or so then same prohlem. I did the same again i.e tightened another 1/2 turn and it worked for another 2-3 hrs again and now the springs are almost totally compressed and no PTO drive power. Trani oil is clean 20w50 as our ambient temperature is about 30deg C year round and clutch engages and disengages quite smoothly. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or missing?

/ Gravely PTO not working #15  
What likely hasw happened is that the slip clutch is worn out. New ones are available from Richard's L&G (gravelyparts.com)