Gravely L, Good Deal?

/ Gravely L, Good Deal? #1  

tmiller

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n Massey Ferguson 255 Massey Ferguson 265 NEW!!! Mccormick CX75
looked at a gravely sitting by the road today, its a L, he said it ran couple years ago, but i cant see how with the bag on the carb.

photo02.jpg

other than the mis matched tires making it sit lopside and the carb, looks pretty good.

photo-1.jpg

photo01.jpg

has 3 attachments, sickle, snow blower and mower.

photo03.jpg

What do you think the value is of the unit? and each attachment separate?
He told me he wants 400 but would take 300

im thinking on selling the attachments depending on what you think I can get for each, cause i really only want the gravely to pull a sulky and cart.

thanks

/ Gravely L, Good Deal? #2  
Well since no one has replied yet, I'll throw in a few pennies....
I noticed a few things:
The tin on the tractor seems pretty nice and looks like a decent candidate for restoration even though it isn't anything too special such as a brass tagged L or anything. It does look pretty original which is also a plus for restoration. But it also appears to have the original style oil filter, so no spin on filter, but that could be added. Some restorers might want that filter setup.
The area where the hitch normally goes looks funny to me but I'm not sure why. It looks like there is a roundish looking plate there that I've never seen the likes of. Anyway, having no hitch is a drawback for the use you want it for, but it can be found and added easily enough.
Who in the heck would have one gear redux wheel on it and one regular wheel...sheesh. Gear redux wheels are somewhat coveted, but ONE? :confused:
If the thing isn't locked up and has some compression, there isn't a whole lot to do to make a Gravely run. Spark, air, fuel.....boom...internal combustion.
Oh yeah, the head looks like it's on backwards, FWIW.
The mower has the favored MA106 style head.
The dog eater snowblower has the favored rotating chute as opposed to the original square chute.
The sickle bar is....well, a sickle bar.
Only you can decide what it's worth to you. Hard to price it without seeing it in person, but 300 doesn't seem that far out. That's less than 100 for each piece. But you know, I once found a non running L8 with 3 attachments for $50...but thats pretty rare too.
I'm rambling again...
Oh, think about having to strap start that thing each and every time you shut if off to load up the cart....or leave it running unattended with no brake...it makes a fine wheel barrow but for me, I like using powered attachments on it.
OK, more than a few pennies... :laughing: