kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely

/ kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely #1  

washita

Silver Member
Tractor
pt 425, JI Case, Gravely Comm.10A
my Gravely 10a commercial (1972) lost a rod it has a kohler 241s engine, the question is I was offered a kohler 241 engine, but before I make the drive I would like to know if the engine block mounting bolt pattern was special for the Gravely or would any 241 series engine would bolt up to the housing, I am currently searching for engine diagrams with specifications online, thanks in advance for any information

/ kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely #2  
I maybe mistaken but I think there are several variations of the engines blocks and the crankshafts,,, if all ya did was lose the rod and didnt crack the block just replace the rod, crank can usually be cleaned up with muratic acid ( the stuff liquifies aluminum).

/ kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely
took some measurements on the donor motor and the bolt pattern was different but was still a 241 series unknown year though, will probably salvage the block from the original motor to ease reassembly of the engine to transmission

/ kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely #4  
If it were me I would first check if the K241 block is really a K301 casting. If a K301 casting then I would have it bored for a K301 piston. If a K241 casting then I would find a K301S for a Gravely, rebuild it and bolt it on. You will thank me later if you make the upgrade to 12 hp.

k301pto.jpg

Last edited:
   / kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely #5  
I believe the K241, K301 and K321 may have all used the same block but you will have to do a little more investigating on Kohlers website to confirm. I suspect that if the OPs 241 donor engine has a different bolt pattern than the original engines, it may be that one is a K241 and the other is a K241A. The A designation is for the "special oil pan" (smaller) and that may account for the different bolt pattern.....pure speculation on my part but worth checking. If this is the case then the donor engine may be able to be used with the simple swap of oil pan/engine mount from the old motor to the new one. One thing about Kohler is they always used a lot of common aspects for series model engines. Their website is an absolute wealth of information. Excellent owner and service manuals are available there as well as the ability to cross reference parts and what all engines a specific part was used in.

I once called Kohler about some specific questions regarding a K series engine 4-5 years ago and was surprised how knowledgeable and easy it was to talk to a tech and get some good answers. I have no idea now where I got the number or who/what dept. I ask to speak with at the time but it was surely off their website.

To look up parts PBS Net-Compass (enter as guest)
for manuals Kohler Engines: Owners and Service Manuals: Manuals and Maintenance

Last edited:
   / kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely
more power is always better will investigate both blocks closer, thanks

/ kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely #7  
I have a K241 from a C10A Gravely that needs a rebuild. It does NOT have K301 embossed on the block and the block cannot be bored out to make a K301 from it. There just isn't enough metal there.

There is an adapter plate that is bolted to the PTO side of the engine for the Gravely.

Be careful with the gears on the end of the crank. They are pricey.

/ kohler block bolt pattern for Gravely #8  
Here is a crank end of a Kohler for Gravely.
Ck out the bolt pattern and more important
Is what I call on the adapter a counter bore
It is really a boss on the engine that fits inside the adapter.

Attachments

• DSC08223.JPG
    DSC08223.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 1,439